Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1990 90 quattro 20v has been my daily driver for about 10 months. I usually drive it about 26 miles to work (13 miles each way) and haven't had any problems before. But the other day I drove it 100 miles (50 each way) and right before I got home it died. I tried to start it back up and it just cranked. After I got it home I started it in the driveway and let it idle and it died after a few minutes. This morning I drove it to work like normal and didn't have any problems. Any ideas what the problem might be? I pulled the codes and there was nothing.

When I first got the car I did a basic tune up and some other misc things. This is the work that I have done on the car. Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, O2 Sensor, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Knock Sensors, Timing Belt, 034 Injectors

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
12,586 Posts
Fuel pump still priming when the key is turned to the on position? Gas in the tank? One of crank sensors or the hall sender.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had a similar issue when my MAF went bad. I don't know if that helps, because mine is a Buick, but if the MAF freaks out when hot (as mine did), then it won't read proper values, and the result is no fuel into the motor.

HTH,
Eric

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
i have not known hall senders to cause car to stall, you can unplug them once it running and it doesnt care. they will prevent it from restarting though. I vote crank sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tested the hall sender with a LED test light and it looks like it's working properly.
I retested the crank sensors when the engine was hot and I got readings of about 1200 ohms which seems pretty high if it should be at 1000 ohms. I think I will try replacing those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts