Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 Coupe Quattro. I just want to start off with there are a ton of threads on this topic, but they're almost 10-20 years old. Most people of what I read have said to covert to the 3B. Fast forward to now. Car is 30 years old and parts are hard to find and including a 3B motor. I would like to get at least 500hps out of the car, so internals will be a done regardless on either motor. I am for the most part the average joe of being mechanically inclined home mechanic, so can do most of this work myself, but would be most likely taking it somewhere for some of the more internal work needed if I can find a good shop. Especially the head work (west coast), which I haven't found yet. Any spare parts laying around or parting out let me know. All advice or directions you can point me in is appreciated and welcomed. Am I just shooting myself in the foot with this car?

·
Super Moderator
4,119 Posts
Its fairly easy to find a 3B or AAN engine for sale. I sold 3 of these in the last 6 months, still got one.
If you want to completely rebuild it and get 500hp (I assume whp) doesn't really matter what engine you start with.
7A head is most likely crack free, but needs water ports machines, and both could use a CPS bracket, 3B water manifold and intake could be used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AAN's I have found, but sounds a little harder to fit into the coupe quattro for the first timer here. Do you have a AAN or a 3B. I would buy a 3B if its in decent condition. Or can you point me in a direction to find these? Thanks for the info though.

·
Super Moderator
4,119 Posts
The AAN's I have found, but sounds a little harder to fit into the coupe quattro for the first timer here. Do you have a AAN or a 3B. I would buy a 3B if its in decent condition. Or can you point me in a direction to find these? Thanks for the info though.
Los Angeles, wont ship due cost.
187K miles complete AAN $2500 (head is on, no detonation or scratches via borescope)
154K miles complete 3B $3500 (head is off, zero crack)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts