Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was bound to happen at some point =)

It happened the first day of the second session at the Audi Club Nationals at Sears Point racetrack. I was coming out of the "Carousel", turn 6 for those of you familiar with the track, accelerating pretty hard (around 4500rpm) coming out of the exit, when I lost power, I upshifted, still no power, heard a metallic rattling, white smoke out the back, and I shut it off and pulled over immediately.

Here is what the #1 spark plug looks like, careful for the faint of heart, it isn't pretty:

http://www.80tq.com/albums/?mode=album& ... spsize=640

The engine is still aligned, timing belt in tact, so it wasn't an interference issue. All other plugs look ok, so I think its probably a dropped valve or somthing similar in the #1. The engine still turns over smoothly. I'll have the head off today probably to get a better look at it, I'll keep everyone posted.

Car was running very strong to say the least, a/f ratios were spot on (went the the dyno the week before the get it all baselined).

If anything, this accelerated me into the 20v project, so no real biggy, the engine was already at the machine shop thankfully, so maybe by Jan/Feb I should have it back on the road.

I'm very interested to see the mode of failure, always good info to have.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
:eek: I think I'm gonna be sick.I think you guys should think of putting a censor on the forum to prevent future incidents

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugly, isn't it? Wait till I take some pictures of the combustion chamber, you'd better look at those with your parents present ;)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
I don't think it proper of me to subject my folks to graphic material such as that.by the way,how many miles have you put on that motor?and is that pretty much just honkin' on it all the time?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Owy, that sucks buddy. But hey if your like me that just means the latest 'neccessary repair' just happens to be a slight upgrade as well ;) Make the rationalization and wallet pains easier to swallow :D

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly Nate ;)

I think I had about 60k on that motor, mostly "honking" and track days. The bottom end had probably 100k+ on in when I put it in, head was rebuilt, but I used the old valves. Overall I'd say I totally got my money's worth =)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
same for the diffs,I'm curious how much power the rear diff and shafts will take

·
Registered
453 Posts
AHAHA! EXCELENT! you will now be forced into a 20V project!

you can be the guinea pig for MY project! Hehe :)

i can leave figuring out the exhaust manifold, intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail, water manifold, fuel injectors, and everything else to YOU :)

thanks!

keep us posted!

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim, 7A Clutch has been holding up ok, running about 22psi boost it would slip real bad in 2nd if I wasn't careful, but these light cars are pretty easy on clutches, I'll be putting in a SPEC Stage 3 clutch and 11lb Alum flywheel next

For the 20v, here is the current config:

-83mm JE pistons (I'm using a 7A block and itn needs a 20thou overbore
-144mm Carillo Rods
-o-ringed head and block, copper HG
-Ported head to about 220cfm intake, 170 exh.
-I'll use a 3B intake manifold and TB to start with, eventually I'll be making a custom piece
-Custom 304ss header, I'll be offering these soon via 034efi
-034 20v fuel rail.
3" downpipe, I'll probably use one of the new GT30 ball bearing turbos, by far the best thing on the market hands down but not cheap at about $12-1300 each.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, of course not! The 10v turbo is my "cup of tea", its an awesome platform, super affordable, plentiful, strong and very powerful. I just need to develop some 20v stuff, and since 80tq is the development car, in goes the 20v. For the most part, my development with the 10v is quite complete, with the management system, turbo offerings, and soon headers, everything you'll ever need to make a 400+hp 10v is readily available. I need to do the same for the 20v, but that in no way means that I've "given up" on the 10v, which quite a few people have asked me about. Long live the 10v! =)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
This one hurts me the most:

:( :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts