Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to make the 81mm piston fit the 82.5mm bore safely? been working on the ghetto 20vt setup and the cast piston's are really bothering me. i have a spare set of ANN rods and pistons that are in great shape but getting them to fit the bore and be reliable is my concern. my AAN crank is wiped out and needs some serious machine shop attention that i cant really afford right now. anyone have any experience with this or attempt to do something like this? any input would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its just an idea. if i could find another 81mm bore bottom end from anything i'd feel alot safer. i'd just install the AAN rods and pistons and run it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand that. i really have no choice but to run them. their at the machine shop with my brother right now having the valve reliefs machined in. i have new rings and rod bearings sitting here waiting for reassembly.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got ya. sent ya a PM with another question too. im just really curious about all these differences between the engines and it seems you have alot of experience with them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
How about running the NG crank in the AAN block with the AAN pistons and rods?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im actually trying that idea too. i had problems before finding main bearings for the engine though. side by side comparison the NG crank looks to be a bit tougher than the AAN crank too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
vwnut8392 said:
is there a way to make the 81mm piston fit the 82.5mm bore safely? been working on the ghetto 20vt setup and the cast piston's are really bothering me. i have a spare set of ANN rods and pistons that are in great shape but getting them to fit the bore and be reliable is my concern. my AAN crank is wiped out and needs some serious machine shop attention that i cant really afford right now. anyone have any experience with this or attempt to do something like this? any input would be great. thanks.
You could sleeve the block, then bore and hone. Not exactly cheap though.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
dude, you are freaking out. No way can you run those pistons in a 83mm block. For god sakes run the ghetto 20vt and tune it safe and have fun. You can make 400+hp with a good tune and be reliable.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
holy crap man, put the wrenches down and back away from the car! okay just kiddin'.
but really do not make the valve reliefs as deep as stock. it is not needed if you can put a timing belt on right. see me project thread for an explanation.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
vwnut8392 said:
im actually trying that idea too. i had problems before finding main bearings for the engine though. side by side comparison the NG crank looks to be a bit tougher than the AAN crank too.
You'll never come close to breaking either crank...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm with GTJeff.. How is the aan block? If you considering using it's pistons it mustn't be bad, but then again pics of bores and pistons maybe? (Running 81' in a 82.5 doesn't inspire confidence) You could just swap out the ng crank for the bad aan and be done. Or maybe just buy a mc block on the cheap and oversize your aan crank or use your ng crank (mc crank wont fit the aan rods). Bearings can be found at allot of places (and even coated) online and locally. Worldpac resellers, altrom resellers (like your local napa), 034efi, efiexpress, irozmotorsport, ebay, overseas, at your local vw/audi $tealer, etc.

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
this thread is making my head hurt

its supposed to be fucking ghetto, right>

81 pistons in 82.5 = hot dog down a hallway

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
death 4kqt said:
dude, you are freaking out. No way can you run those pistons in a 83mm block. For god sakes run the ghetto 20vt and tune it safe and have fun. You can make 400+hp with a good tune and be reliable.
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts