Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head is ported, don't know flow numbers. It needs guides and seals. Between it and the shape the block was in after it was blown then crappily rebuilt, the 10vt is going in.

No pics of the exhaust ports, you wouldn't be able to see anything due to how much soot is stuck to the walls. The combustion chambers are equally sooty. This head was causing the vast majority of my oil consumption, which was around 1L/100mi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you let me borrow it, I will clean it out, change the guides and seals... and if I feel like it, will give it back some day ;) ;)

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew the comedian ;-)

This head I am keeping for, ahem, future projects. Depending on how I feel about the 10vt swap will dictate which project that is. Either way, I'll likely build a 2.5L 20v with it...

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
cuatrokoop said:
Andrew the comedian ;-)

This head I am keeping for, ahem, future projects. Depending on how I feel about the 10vt swap will dictate which project that is. Either way, I'll likely build a 2.5L 20v with it...
sorry have not been on much.
Whats up Cuatrokoop?
What bottom end will you use to achieve this 2.5L?

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd get a Eurospec 92.8mm crank, Pauter (or Carillo) rods, and JE (or Wiseco) pistons. Block would be a nice cleaned up NF/NG if I do turbo, or my 7A bored for 83mm if I do NA. If I go NA, it'd be dropped into the 5kq. If I go turbo, it'll go in the CQ and the 10vt will come out for the 5kq. Either version of a 20v would get Stage IIC'd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cuatrokoop said:
I'd get a Eurospec 92.8mm crank, Pauter (or Carillo) rods, and JE (or Wiseco) pistons. Block would be a nice cleaned up NF/NG if I do turbo, or my 7A bored for 83mm if I do NA. If I go NA, it'd be dropped into the 5kq. If I go turbo, it'll go in the CQ and the 10vt will come out for the 5kq. Either version of a 20v would get Stage IIC'd.
Fiiiine you can keep the 7A head! :wink:
Sounds like some fun stuff planned!! Even hard to decide on, but I say build up a 20VT for the CQ and use a 10VT in the 5kQ... Although that NA 2.5L does sound like fun and would be a whole lot easier I assume... Hard choices though! What is the stock bore/stroke on the 7A block? Also what CR would run for the 2.5L motor?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Speaking of NA 2.5l motors, and if you didn't see the posts on the Audifans list, here is a dyno of a car I recently helped with, basically a stock 80q with a 2.6l bottom end, light head porting and a Blau cam:

http://www.80tq.com/images/ChrisDarringerDyno.JPG

This is a good example of "horsepower is in the head, torque is in the bottom end"

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup...No replacement for displacement. Cubes = torque ;-)

Breathing gets you hp (think Honda). Its why I laugh when I see the 160-200hp 4cyl's they build, which have low torque numbers. Not enough displacement, and a cam profile (well, profiles) that favor "big" hp up top rather than a flexible power band. To each his own I guess...

Anyway, what I do really just depends on where I am in the next several years, as far as job, location, etc. Also, I may not have the 5kq by then, which by default means it won't be getting anything done to it then ;-) I'll be in the market for a big truck/SUV to pull my trailer (preferrably a TD Suburban if I can find one) and will be trying to get Monica a 30v A4 Tiptronic (I don't like the 1.8t, 30v = great engine, she doesn't like manual transmissions, Tiptronic = nice automatic).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts