Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging by your conversion page the VAG oil separator part # (052 103 495), would be the ideal part for the crank breathing.

Is it any particular reason?

I think I can get a new one for $18, and I need to address the issue.

TIA,

Carlos.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad news.

It turned NLA, but the shop I checked did not updated it's database.

Well back to plan A (make your own).

Later,

Carlos

ps. I'm going to see if I can find another similar part in the family book. I'll let you know if there is one.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
PN is not valid in the US Fishy (and therefore parts network)...That is most likely the problem ;-)

It DOES come up on the European issue stuff though. Used on the AFF, AHU, AHH, AFN, in the A4/A4q. Also was used on the old Audi 50, Scirocco, Golf, Passat, Polo, Jetta, and Sharan. You should be able to pick them up easily from a VAG parts imported (ahem, Alex, you readin' this?).

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm going to try and make one from PVC. Anybody have some insight
on the best way to construct one? I'm using a basic old catch can right now.

Word,
Aaron

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, make a baffle in front of the inlet, maybe a few sort of like a muffler (flowmaster or similar), then fill it with steel wool, and be sure the condensed oil can drain back down into the oil sump, that oughta do a pretty good job. PVC might not be the best material, tho, when it gets hot it starts offing some pretty nasty gasses, maybe more of an ABS plastic would be better, or better yet steel or alum.

Javad

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I can use ABS actually. Its lighter,and easy to work with. The off gasing is chlorine gas I think. I know when you burn freon you get phosgene gas(WWI nerve agent). If I make one and test it. If it works well I can assemble some "kits" for cheap(like I dont have enough to do).

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i can't really picture in my head what exactly your building but, is using steel wool a good idea? i would think that having something like might be a little risky. could maybe the scotchbrite type stuff thats found in the lid of the P/S reservior lid be obtained for this purpose?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
that's odd about that oil seperator. I picked one up about 4 months ago from my audi dealership. They had it in stock. I know a couple other guys on the AW 5k forum are running them too. So they're discontinued now?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Why is that risky? You'll want to use the really course stuff, not like the brillo pad, but the idea is to give the oil fumes a lot of surface area to condense on.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Jeff: It was probably N.O.S. (New-Old Stock) at your dealer, as it was found on certain older VW's (Scirocco and Rabbit). You can still see the part on the fishy (except for the Sciroccos older than 1983 or so, as only body parts can be ordered from the dealer), but it displays "--- --- --- no longer available". The engine code I think should be FX, old carb'd Rabbit engine or the EH/EJ Rabbit engines (052 is definately a VW Rabbit/Scirocco part number). Finding one new in the US will probably be hit or miss. It honestly looks like it may have been deleted from VAG inventory around January 1996(!!). That is when several Rabbit parts were removed.

I'm going to try and order one today when I stop by the local VAG/MB dealer here in town. But I doubt I'll find one. Best bet for that particular piece is to order some from Europe, as it has been used up until '00 in various gas and diesel engines (the 1.9L Di is one).

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i just was a little concerned about having a piece of that steel wool come loose and go on a tour of the engine so to speakm that's all.

hey, if you can give me the part # of the separater your looking for, i can contact a guy I know in luxembourg and see what he can do, and for how much. shipping would end up being cheaper on buying a few of them at once. i don't imagine that they are to bulky of heavy.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
whoops, guess i should pay a tiny bit more attention :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Cuda,

I'll make you one if you want. The concept is easy,and from what I've heard it works well.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
yeah, sure, or just send me a sketch or something so i can get a better idea of what i'm lookin at and i'll piece one together myself. better yet, maybe you could post a diagram to explain how it works. just don't use crayon :wink:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
audifreakjim said:
VAG oil separator part # (052 103 495),
what's the application for these, years and models (not all, just a couple :wink: ) so my guy can check it out, he said he'd look this week and tell me what he can find.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Uh Derek, read some of my posts. I said a few engines/cars that it is currently used on in Europe, and what I think it was used on in the US/CAN and when it was deleted from the VAG dealer parts catalog. ;-)

And like I said before, finding a new one will be hit or miss due to what the part was originally found on in the US. No luck with my local dealer when I stopped in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts