Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking about my Audi's situation a lot recently. I've had the car since 2010 and have never been able to really rely on it despite putting quite a bit of work into it over that long period of time. It has been my second car, so it has never been a huge priority to have it running all the time, but I work on it when I can.

Anyway, I've been thinking about selling it. The thing is, I don't know what to ask for it or if anyone would be interested in it here. It has 185,000+ miles (the odometer quit). Currently it seems like the engine runs pretty well and starts right up, but is hesitating/lacking in power at lower RPMs and more noticeably above 5k rpm where it should really be in its stride. It also needs control arm bushings, at least in the front, but probably all around. It needs an alignment, but I can't do that until the bushings are replaced. Rear calipers aren't working 100%, so they'll need replaced too. I also need to put a hydraulic pressure accumulator in it (which I have already ordered).

That's the bad, but now for the good. The interior is very nice still. No tears or major blemishes in the front seats (though the rear seats have a couple marks on them and a small tear along the top at one of the seams). Power/heated seats work nicely, power windows and mirrors work, sunroof functions as it should, aftermarket Sony Xplod CD player works great and looks tasteful. Engine runs nicely apart from what I described. Shifter and clutch feel is good.

On the exterior, the body is decent, but there is a ding and a small amount of rust or bubbling on the front left fender. The body has been resprayed at some point. It looks decent, but you can tell when you scrutinize it closely. The black trim halfway up the rear door is non-matching, and the lower door trim all around is missing, but at least in my opinion, it doesn't really look like something is missing except that you can see the exposed clip mounts. The clips themselves are in the glovebox.

Recent maintenance:
-Power steering pump has new seals
-Fresh Pentosin 11S PS fluid
-New high pressure hydraulic hose from the pump to rack (plus one spare NIB hose)
-Timing belt + water pump
-Converted to pink G12 coolant
-Front crankshaft seal
-New throttle valve potentiometer
-O2 sensor and flex pipe
-New front CV axles
-Front right wheel bearing
-Front sway bar end links
-New fuel pump
-New MAF sensor

Spare parts:
-Oil pan gasket
-Hydraulic hose pump-to-rack
-Idler pulley
-Odometer gear
-Probably some other bits and pieces I'm forgetting

It may not seem awfully far from being regularly drive-able, but I'm just kind of getting tired of working on it constantly and having no rewards for it. Not to mention, my wife likes the car but would like to actually be able to use it if we're going to have it. I've been thinking that if I let go of this one, I'd try to get another 20V, maybe a coupe this time. That or a Corvair Corsa or Oldsmobile Toronado, but those are up the price scale a bit for now (and a bit less practical).

So what do you think? Keep working on it? Sell it? What value would you put on it? I'll include pictures below.

You can see the imperfections in the fender that I mentioned in the picture above.

This is just where the car rests when I'm not using it. I try not to leave it out in the elements.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure I want to sell it yet, but I'm feeling out my options and just wanted the opinions of the guys here. You guys know your stuff, and will probably give me a pretty honest (if disappointing) assessment of the car's worth. If someone is interested in the car, let me know. I'm in the South Bend, IN area.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
honestly, the sad truth is, it would probably be 2-2.5k. It isn't anything super special to attract a far away buyer (who would have to spend another grand shipping), so you are limited to a localish sale. so really getting 2 is probably likely. Looks like it has some rust on that front drivers fender?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup (I also mentioned that in the text, but it is long, so I understand). 2-2.5 is what the realistic side of me thinks. I was taken for a sucker when I paid $2500 for it a few years ago, not knowing that so much was about to go wrong with it. I must have hit the jackpot of unreliability.

There's also the part of me that wonders if it might be worth it to fix it and then sell it for a bit more. I have some reserve cash with which to fix it, and I'm unemployed, so time is no big concern. Just a matter of buying parts and doing it. But like I said, I'm just kind of tired of it for now. That and it's always hard to get back what you put into it unless it makes a huge difference. And while I think these parts would really elevate the car beyond what it currently is, I'm not sure a potential buyer would see it the same way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts