Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So as I mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53116&view=unread#unread I am in need of rear brake calipers and handbrake cables for my '91 90 Quattro 20V. Basically, I just need to know what parts I actually need. I'm looking at Rockauto right now and I see the rear calipers they have listed. Are those good choices, or do you have other recommendations? I also see rear right and rear left parking brake cables. Is that all I need? The guy at the shop I took it to wasn't very specific about what he felt was wrong with it, and without tearing into it, I don't have much way of knowing myself.

The other thing wrong at the moment is the control arm bushings are shot. Is it better to get just the bushings or should I go for new control arms? It looks like Rockauto only has Euro-spec control arms, so they might be trickier to find. The only thing is that mine are pretty rusty. I don't think they're structurally compromised, but they'll need a lot of cleaning up.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got my rear calipers from Autozone on line. They had a rebate that ended up making the calipers about $75 each. I had no problem with the function of them and I think nSimps still has them on the car. They did screw up and send me 2 left handers so I had to visit the local store to straighten that out. Also note that most of those calipers don't include carriers so you'll need to order a carrier pin kit as a separate item.

Make sure you aren't wasting time and money on the ebrake cables. Most of the ebrake problems I've heard of have been associated with the arm on the caliper siezing up and not the cables. You might just fix both issues with the replacement of the calipers.

Unless your CAs are bent up just replace the bushings and ball joints. I can't imagine an aftermarket replacement arm will be as stout as the factory one unless it was some big buck race design. A little scraping and rattle can paint and you should be good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts