Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. After a long hiatus I finally found myself with another Coupe Quattro, but this time around its time to do it right with an AAN. Since my last CQ I have owned quite a few audi's, 2 B5 s4's one of which I stage III'd and was a very fun car, an '84 4000 quattro that I transplanted a 10vt into and megasquirted.
Something brought me back to the Coupe, though.
I ended up convincing a buddy to sell me his coupe that he has owned mostly since high school and 70K- it now has about double that mileage and was still running fine but he pulled the engine to start the AAN swap. I picked up the project from him mid tear-down so I have a lot of work ahead.
The car came with alot of awesome extras, already has the B4 hood swap, RS2 headlights, comes with an 034 manifold and downpipe as well as all the stock parts, minus some piping and hoses.
I'm just now starting to develop a plan and order for how to get this back together.

Finished so far:

Interior
-Cleaned wiring harnesses, re-wrapped
-Cleaned carpet and interior bits, re-installed
-Installed vent gauges in dash

Suspension:
-Koni/Ground control coils
-5 Lug swap

Wheels:
-B5 S4 Avus with 225's for now

Engine:
-All new gaskets and seals, timing belt, water pump, etc
-ARP head studs
-7A Cams
-034 Tubular header
-034 3" Downpipe
-Garrett GT3071 0.63 A/R, Anti-surge inlet 3" V-band outlet
-034 Aluminum flywheel
-Spec 3+ Feramic clutch
-034 Fuel rail
-RS2 replica 42# green top injectors
-Bosch 044 fuel pump

I've definitely got my work cut out for me but when all is said and done I will have my dream car.

This is the shop after just taking delivery:

Interior:

Getting everything sorted out:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make a little progress, the coils turned out to be more work than I thought... I was going to swap them in straight and sell the old setup.
After getting a better look at the Bilsteins I realized that they were in pretty bad shape, struts were rusty and corroded, also two were rusted in and stuck in the strut tubes.

All four of the allen bolts for the height adjuster rings were stripped. So I had to disassemble the whole strut assembly, and at this time I chose to go with the Koni Struts that were in the car already as they were in better shape and I prefer the ride of Koni adjustables.
Got everything swapped over, welded on new perches on the strut tubes that were in better shape and transferred everything over,
sandblasted and painted the carriers since those were a bit corroded as well.

So... 4 Brake discs, 4 Wheel bearings, two tie rods, and 8 new pads later, I finally got a mach-up on the rear with new 5 lug brake rotors from an A4 avant quattro.

Everything fits... Nice. Still waiting on the rotors for the fronts but all the coils are in and ready to go.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up some cheap B6 S4 wheels. (Hopefully they will fit :? ) Only issue with them was that they were painted, then plasti dipped, then painted again. So the only way to deal with the chipped nonsense that was left over was sandblast,

and start over...

Got started cleaning the block and put some coats of black engine paint on there after getting it stripped/masked.

Cleaned up the valve cover and intake manifold.

Got a clutch and turbo on the way, decided on a SPEC stage 3+ and LWFW.
After quite a bit of research and a long talk with some folks at 034 I decided on the Precision Turbo CEA5558 , 4" Inlet/2.5" outlet, ported shroud. *Edit, CEA5558 isn't available in this size, so its going to be the GT3071 BB turbo with the same inlet and 3" V-band out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good Gawd...I wish I had that much space to work in!!

Where is this at? Best of luck with the build

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DFrosty said:
Good Gawd...I wish I had that much space to work in!!

Where is this at? Best of luck with the build
I am just outside of Bellingham, Wa. Moved out to the county to get some more space... and I like the pace out here.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Small progress but got the block cleaned up and head studs in, head put on. Extracted the broken studs from exhaust manifold and put that on with new studs. Waiting on the GT3071R.
Got the 7A oil pan installed with the 7A pickup tube and AAN windage tray.

Manifold and wastegate on

Still need to swap in the 7A cams and install the new timing belt kit.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Wow, way to get shit done. Impressive!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PRY4SNO said:
Wow, way to get shit done. Impressive!
Feels good to make some visible progress. Once I get the front rotors I will at least have a rolling chassis and then I can get the engine in and start all the fabrication thats going to need to be done.
I need to either modify my AAN intake manifold or find a 3B intake, still have no exhaust intercooler or intake piping, etc. Lots of work ahead but thats part of the fun.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Afterthought said:
Framed pictures of V48 and one of the Baja cars? Have we met? I've been on the formula team/in the VRI since 53's year.

I am very jealous of your work space, looks like an awesome start to your coupe

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah I am still in Bellingham, I usually only have one or two of my cars up here at a time though. Would love to maybe swing by at some point and check out the coupe in person.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kveldssanger said:
Yeah I am still in Bellingham, I usually only have one or two of my cars up here at a time though. Would love to maybe swing by at some point and check out the coupe in person.
If you want to come check it out sometime, it would be rad to check out your coupe.. and I may need to pick your brain a little bit :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked up a parts runner on my two days off this month instead of relaxing :frustrated: :lol:

This thing really needs to be cleaned up. Been sitting for two years.... but I can't turn down a good deal.
It may not look like much but has a lot of time into it at some point. I dont know much about VW's at all but im learning. I know the car has at least:
-LSD, 5-speed trans, redline fluids.
-'98 Jetta 2.0L, Cam, Headers, Supersprint SS exhaust
-Lowering springs, Neuspeed sway bars, Scirocco Brakes all around, spare set of 2WD audi 4000 wheels, short shift kit
- Probaby more that I dont know about

After a quick wash...

Goal is to get this car running solid and use it to commute back and forth to work. I got it to run but feels really sluggish for what it should be, almost like a bad knock sensor in an audi.
So once I figure that out I can keep going on the coupe project and hopefully not let this sidetrack me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back to the important stuff. Got rotors for the front and did a real test fit. Bolted the struts and tie rods in for good. The brakes wont clear with new pads in with the 323x30 rotors. But with the inside pad being used, they fit fine :frustrated: So I'm scratching my head on that a little bit. I thought I did enough research to verify that Porsche blacks will fit fine with 996 Brakes, 323x30 auro A8 rotors, and S2 carriers.
Anyways... picked up some 17's with snows for now and did a test fit with 225/45/17 and 8mm spacers. It looks like everything will clear fine.

Also have the bumper, turn signals, and markers/ducts. Went with the Rieger RS2 rep since it is made of ABS plastic. Even the replica is becoming hard to find.
So time to get the bumper test fitted and then that can go in for paint along with the Fiber Images CF hood which is faded.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ahhhhh Yeah bud. Nice work on the wrap job!

You must have a good parts guy to put this beast together 8)

Hopefully the brakes get sorted out soon. I'll be making an appearance to the shop soon... In the updated Avant....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts