Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Andrew, and I have a problem. I want my Audi to be fast and reliable. I am also a newbie. With time, patience, money, skinned knuckles, and some counseling I think I can be helped.
As we speak I am gathering the various parts I need to get a IIb into my 84 CGT with a KH (oil cooled turbo, two oil filters) engine. I am sure to have many questions along the way, but I will start with an easy one.
The other day I picked up and AutoMeter air/fuel mixture guage. The guy at the go fast shop said that I need another oxy sensor dedicated to the guage. He said he put the same guage on his 95 chevy pickup with some piggyback ECU and the guage goofed up the signal to his ECU so his rig was always running rich. That is the first time I have heard of such an issue. Of course he was driving a Chevy. :slap: Will this be a problem with a IIb?
Thanks, and Godspeed.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, our own little group therapy arena on the web :)

On your o2 gauge issue, I can assure you that you will be able to just tap the signal without worrying about goofing the signal to the ECU, you just need to be carefull if the wire has a ground sheath. Some wiring harnesses will run ground sheathed cables for the oxygen sensor signal wire and if you just tap the wire with one of those cheesy wire taps you run the risk of severing the sheath or wosre yet connecting the sheath to the signal wire, thus grounding it out.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that will be quite helpful. I imagine that if I hook the guage up at the ECU connection to the Oxy sensor it should work perfect without severing the sheilding for the signal wire from the sensor.
That is a relief, I am glad to hear that there isn't something else that I have to buy and install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts