Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon vertical Sears Professional oil free compressor, and a sears 1/2 inch impact gun that just doesnt have the oomf it used to, basically have had to resort to using a breaker bar and cheater pipe on occasion to loosen overtightened wheel and other bolts. I've borrowed my neighbor's harbor freight "earthquake" which other than being heavy and inexpensive seems to have much more torque.

Now I'm not a pro and don't play one on MG, so I dont need a pro gun... but definitely need more than i currently have, so recommend away!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have a sears gun as well and it's definitely not enough (~350 ftlbs or something). When I installed my wheel bearings I used (and broke) my buddies IR cordless 20Volt (780ft-lbs reverse torque) gun. The thing was a beast, but the motor ended up seizing. Get the most powerful impact you can find and make sure you oil the thing regularly.

Here are the specs for the IR:
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am ... -impactool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the IR had enough torque, but if I buy another impact I'll try to find a gun with at least 1000ft-lbs rev. You can never have too much, especially when a breaker is less than ideal (i.e shocks, axle nuts, wheel bearing extractor, etc.)

My 0.02

Also, your airlines make a difference. 1/4" doesn't cut it. I find 3/8" air hose works ok, and flow-through fittings with larger orfices are king!

·
Administrator
12,596 Posts
I have an older CP composite turbo 2.0 the only thing that sux about it is the F&R selector switch is very stiff but if you remove the ball bearing that acts a stop it moves easier although you have to line it up manually.
That said this looks like a good budget impact wrench http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200396563 I think klutch makes some good tools. The key with any air tool is to make sure you have enough CFM for it to work to it's max potential.
If you have any doubts search garagejournal for more info on potential tool purchases.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What's your budget?

IR 232TGSL Thunder Gun is super powerful, IR 231C is a good budget choice...

I have one the Milwaukee electrics, 9071-20 I think, which works surprisingly well...

Especially when I'm out of the shop, and have no air available... :)

Steer clear of the cordless models, they are great for iron workers doing erection and stuff but have no where near the ass needed for the kinda wrenching your talking about...

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
audiPete said:
I have a 20 gallon vertical Sears Professional oil free compressor, and a sears 1/2 inch impact gun that just doesnt have the oomf it used to, basically have had to resort to using a breaker bar and cheater pipe on occasion to loosen overtightened wheel and other bolts. I've borrowed my neighbor's harbor freight "earthquake" which other than being heavy and inexpensive seems to have much more torque.

Now I'm not a pro and don't play one on MG, so I dont need a pro gun... but definitely need more than i currently have, so recommend away!
first throw some wd-40 into the air inlet before you give up completely on your sears gun.

my favorite bang for the buck gun is the harbor freight "earthquake" gun. tons of balls.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-professional-air-impact-wrench-68424.html

100 bux.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
itcouldbeme said:
What's your budget?

IR 232TGSL Thunder Gun is super powerful, IR 231C is a good budget choice...

I have one the Milwaukee electrics, 9071-20 I think, which works surprisingly well...

Especially when I'm out of the shop, and have no air available... :)

Steer clear of the cordless models, they are great for iron workers doing erection and stuff but have no where near the ass needed for the kinda wrenching your talking about...
you said "erection"...
and "ass"....
in the same sentence too.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I have that Snap-On with the lithium batteries, and it works for 90% of what I need it to do. it will also remove most axle nuts on VW/Audi, as long as they aren't totally seized. For anything major, it is the Ingersoll-Rand composite gun--If that won't bust it loose then you will need a breaker bar with a cheater pipe!!
I like the electric because it beats dragging an air hose around all day. We also use the 3/8 and 1/4 electric impacts, as well as the cordless electric ratchets..
I wonder how this would perform, the specs claim it is comparable to their most powerful air gat:
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.co...ess-tools/w7150-1-2-20v-high-torque-impactool

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
i think the beauty of the cordless is you can take it to the pick n pull yards when you need some old thing for your audi. Anything to shorten ones time in the high heat, around a bunch of cars occupied by pissy hornets is a plus.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have an older 1/2" Ingersoll Rand that does 900 ft-lbs in reverse. It's been good to me for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I've always used IR air guns. They just feel better to me and the triggers are easier for me to regulate than the Mac and Snap-On guns I've tried from coworkers. for 1/2" I have the IR composite and titanium quiet and for 3/8" I also have the IR composite titanium, but its not the quiet version. For cordless I have the non-lithium 1/2" Snap-on because it comes with 2 batteries, where the lithium lasts longer per battery but only comes with one battery. Its perfect for taking to pick-n-pull for parts scavenging.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a4kquattro said:
audiPete said:

first throw some wd-40 into the air inlet before you give up completely on your sears gun.

my favorite bang for the buck gun is the harbor freight "earthquake" gun. tons of balls.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-professional-air-impact-wrench-68424.html

100 bux.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.