Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Some churn has been occurring lately with vehicles in the O'Hara residence. My Dolphin Gray 2002 A4 1.8T will be for sale shortly and I had intended to sell it in order to get a 'fun' car for my wife, but the perfect candidate decided to show up before I had a chance to sell. She's had enough of watching me create something fun to drive and she wants her own! I'm pumped! I've converted her to old German iron 8)

She picked up this 1996 Audi Cabriolet yesterday in CT that I found on craigslist. I wasn't particularly looking for an Audi cabriolet since they're all automatic and 2wd, but when I saw this 5spd example during my random craigslist trolling, I was immediately interested and my wife even more so! I'm completely taken by the car, not to mention my wife. The top works, all the windows, the transmission is a modified quattro unit for FWD and the engine is smooth. It needs plenty of body work, but the car is rust free. Even the e-brake works! I'll add details later, but here are some photos.

Meeting the 200...

And in true Audiholic form, I bought parts before we actually had the car.

Plan is to get this into daily driver shape quickly. I'll update with progress as it goes along!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
nice.....b4 90q rear subframe and diff swap?

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
death 4kqt said:
Hells no. There's a whole thread on here telling me why not hahaha

The conversion was done by the guy I bought it from. A German guy I'll have to look at the bill of sale to get the name correct, but he went by 'Dan'

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
WOMBAT said:
death 4kqt said:

The conversion was done by the guy I bought it from. A German guy I'll have to look at the bill of sale to get the name correct, but he went by 'Dan'
you are thinking of the b3 swap....im referring to the fwd b4 avant to quattro using b4 subframe.....looked like a bolt in to me. dont know anything about carbio, but if rear is same as fwd avant.....would be first thing on my list of things to check out.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
death 4kqt said:
WOMBAT said:
death 4kqt said:

you are thinking of the b3 swap....im referring to the fwd b4 avant to quattro using b4 subframe.....looked like a bolt in to me. dont know anything about carbio, but if rear is same as fwd avant.....would be first thing on my list of things to check out.
Ahhh.... Yea, so it's different of course. The front of the Cabriolet is CQ/B4 and the rear is FWD B3.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
DAMN

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They don't currently work, so I will need to figure it out... I found that same write up so now I'm really at a loss haha

·
Registered
881 Posts
WOMBAT said:
Ahhh.... Yea, so it's different of course. The front of the Cabriolet is CQ/B4 and the rear is FWD B3.
hahahah...I was gonna ask if you're sure because that it didn't make any sense for a '96 car to be reusing the rear of the B3...and then I used Google :)

Audi launched its all-new 80 Cabriolet model in 1991. Unlike the sedan and avant variants of the Audi 80 that benefited from new B4 platforms, the Cabriolet was based on the 1989 Audi Coupe. The reason why the German manufacturer didn't build their brand new cabriolet on the new platform was because of the heavy re-engineering involved in the model's production. All models fitted with petrol engines came with optional 'quattro' permanent four-wheel-drive, while sports suspension was available as standard equipment. Also, the Audi Cabriolet featured a soft top - world premiere feature for the German car maker - and underwent its first facelift in 1998, when it received redesigned bumpers, new headlights and instrument clusters. It went out of production in 2000, being replaced by Audi TT's new Roadster
crap...good info to know though...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
WOMBAT said:
They don't currently work, so I will need to figure it out... I found that same write up so now I'm really at a loss haha
I haven't messed with it other than to test the switch on the trans (it has continuity only when the car is in reverse) and to run the wires up to the relay panel. Ill try to mess with it this weekend

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
did these not come with a 5 speed ever? i was at a random car show in ny and there was an old dude with one that has about 40k miles and was MINT and it was a 5 speed. he made no mention of it being converted.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely not in the states...

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now with front bumper and clean headlight glass! The glass previously was spray smoked from the inside. Here's a comparison

New serpentine belt and battery. Ready for some street time!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you're planning a TB job I have an extra contitech kit. I tried foolishly to save a REALLY crappy 94 cabriolet and got the engine up and running only to discover a broken transmission (no reverse)

So anyway, I have a 0 miles kit - youd just need a new water pump gasket. Ill lend the tools too if you need them.

·
Super Moderator
4,101 Posts
death 4kqt said:
did these not come with a 5 speed ever? i was at a random car show in ny and there was an old dude with one that has about 40k miles and was MINT and it was a 5 speed. he made no mention of it being converted.
ive seen one in CA, grey import, it had 2.3 10V engine

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
grillage said:
If you're planning a TB job I have an extra contitech kit. I tried foolishly to save a REALLY crappy 94 cabriolet and got the engine up and running only to discover a broken transmission (no reverse)

So anyway, I have a 0 miles kit - youd just need a new water pump gasket. Ill lend the tools too if you need them.
Ahh I just bought a kit! I don't have the crank lock or cam lock tools but do I actually need them for a timing belt and water pump job?

I also suspect the front main is leaking in which case I would need the crank lock tool

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
WOMBAT said:
grillage said:

Ahh I just bought a kit! I don't have the crank lock or cam lock tools but do I actually need them for a timing belt and water pump job?

I also suspect the front main is leaking in which case I would need the crank lock tool
You will for sure need the tools. I can lend them to you if you want. PM me your address and I can get them shipped out

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It appears the tachometer is reading 1000rpm low... Any insight? It idles at 0 and I shift at 2000 which sounds and feels like 3000.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts