Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, when i start my car up, i have to rev it up over about 2500 rpm to get the voltage gauge to read 14volts (otherwise it reads about 11v) is this the regulator? also, any tips to beef one of these things up? when i hit my lights, my fuel pump gets a kinda sickly sound to it :p .

also, at idle, when the radiator fans or headlights,etc..come on, it seems to load my alternator down and it makes the engine idle low. any thoughts?

thanks,guys,Derek

·
Registered
398 Posts
I bet you have the exciter wire broken somewhere.

Check if you have 12V at it when you switch the ignition on. If not there is your problem, if yes then check the VR.

Later,

Carlos.

ps. If you don't know, the exciter is the small wire at the back of your Alt. mostly Blue color on Audi's.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
heyyy bump from 7 years ago!!!

always wanted to bump a thread that's old as hell.

anyways, having the same problem, what did you find out derek?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
what's the vr? and how do you replace it?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
VR=Voltage Regulator. I've never replaced one but its the Little Doodad (tm) on the back. Two screws me thinks.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I had the same thing with my V8 and it is/was the exciter wire.
I changed the regulator and didn't help and just left it....one blip of the accelerator and it self excites
so I just haven't got around to fixing it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
i swapped to my red top out of my TT, damn it definitely starts up faster now, but still has the sub 12v charge till you blip the throttle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts