Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know if an aluminum flywheel from a 2.3 20v would work on my MC (timing pin issue aside)? i was checkin out fidanza's website and i like what i see. any body have any experience with them?

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
The timing pins are in the wrong location for use with an MC, and you'd likely need to run the 7A clutch disc and pressure plate.

I am using my factory 7A FW, and will be moving the pins to be in the same location as that of the MC's FW. Will likely be a DIY thing on one of the CNC mills.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you know how far apart the existing pins are,roughly. cause by the look of their flywheels they have like arms that stick out from the main part of the flywheels to hold the PP in place.
I found a website that has these flywheels on sale for $275

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
The two timing pins on the clutch side are the same angle apart, but are at a different angle from the TDC mark. The pin on the block side is in a different location as well. The pressure plate locating pin locations are moot.

If I would have remembered my WLAN card for the laptop, I took a couple pics of a side-by-side comparo of the MC-1 and 7A FW's...

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Dereck, could you post your source? I'm not worried about timing pin locations running 034 ;-)

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
A 7A FW/clutch will not work with the 016 transmission....Only works with the 01A IIRC (input shaft spline differences).

Fidanza stuff is nice, saw them at PRI, didn't talk to them though. People looked at us funny, a bunch of "young kids" wearing "Fabricator" badges.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I'm sure I can make it work. Nate sent me a link to a place that does custom clutches with both styles of audi splines:

http://www.kennedyeng.com/jap_car.htm.

I can't think of a reason why the flywheel itself would be a problem.. just the OE clutch because of the splines as you mentioned.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey marc, it's sport compact warehouse. com
$275 for an aluminum flywheel

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
FWIW, I just installed one of these in a customer car, it is awesome, forget 1st gear, its just a blur, second gear you're into the revlimiter before you know it, 3rd gear is much more responsive too, just really wakes up the motor.

I test fit the 01A clutch using a 7A pressure plate and an MC clutch disk, everything tighted down and seemed to work, never actually tested it, but from the test fit, everything appeared to work very nicely, the only issue would be if the MC disk was thinner than the 7A disk, which it isn't.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
In a car like the '86-88 5ktq, the clutch disc is in different location in the assembly. The surface it contacts on the FW side is much closer to the block than that of the 7A setup. The later MC flywheel that is non-stepped in design may be ok, not really sure as I don't have one. Ditto on the FW found in the 4kq's.

In a car with an 01A, it'll work just fine. In a car with an 016, it will just depend on what the FW/clutch assembly looks like. Using the MC/016 clutch disc is certainly one way to get the correct spline pattern in the sprung hub (and you are right Javad, that is really the only difference I have noticed between the 7A and MC's respective discs).

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
man guys, it's ain't fair, i'd have to install a stage IIb or c then get one of these flywheels plus clutch parts. so lets see, that's a minimum of like $1,400 just so i can have a light flywheel. unless i can get the timing pins in the same spots that's my only option.
so the only way i could fund this is if each of you generous fellas gave me $300 finders fee,for finding this awesome deal on the flywheels. that way I'm not left out on the ignition speak and I have lightning fast revs , watta ya say......... :wink:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Derek, you should be able to easily relocate the pin in the 01a alum flywheel, though the step up to IIb or c would be heartily wortht he effort :D

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Yup, the pin location change is moot, I have to do that to use the 7A setup on my MC as others have.

The clutch disc/actuation is the only real issue on using an 01A FW with an 016 transmission. And Javad said that the MC disc fits in the 7A assembly, which takes care of a good portion of the problem (input shaft spline). Only thing left is to make sure it all functions properly. Not a huge deal, just takes time.

Oh, one thing, don't forget that the 7A has the pilot bearing in the FW, not the crank. Unorthodox makes a FW for the 12v, which uses an 01A transmission and has the pilot bearing in the crank. I'll have to compare the 7A and 12v FW's sometime, to see if that is a possible interchange if the Fidanza is only meant for a 7A/01A combo.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
The Fidanza FW has aprovision for the pilot bearing, it was built for the 01A application.

Oh yes, the only other issue with using the 7A presure plate with an 016 tranny was the throw-out-bearing, the spline-mate up area is considerably bigger for the 01A TOB than the 016, the 016 PB did sit ok on the 7A spring fingers, but it was on the small side, and I wasn't sure how this would affect longevity or performance.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Totally forgot about that, the relase bearing used in the 01A is straight from the 01E, and is a big honker. Seeing as though the stock stuff lasts a good long while, I don't see it to be a major issue using the smaller one? Knowing that most people here have a heavy right foot, they'll be changing clutch stuff more often anyway :wink:

PB in the FW means 7A engine. Like I said, all the other engines (that I know of) that are bolted to the 01A use a crank mounted PB. Incidentally it is the same PB as used in the MC/016 combo. BK15x24x26 size needle bearing. The 7A uses a sealed ball bearing. The 01A used with the 7A engine I believe has a different input shaft (the snub portion has a different length dimension but same diameter) due to this.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
It wasnt' so much the fact that it was smaller, but becuase it was smaller it didn't seat as well on the PP spring-fingers as it should have, possibly even meaning that the spring fingers could pop past the TO bearing, etc, I'd have to put it all back together again to see, but at the time I remember thinking it would probably work ok, or if it was possible to addapt the 7A TO bearing to the 016.

Yes, 016 trannies for the 7A and NG cars have a bigger spline diameter and are much shorter in length to their comprable crank pilot bearing apps. Using this flywheel with a crank mounted pilot is no problem, however, as the input shaft simply passes through the center of the FW (obviously).

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Great information here guys, thanks!

So, in summary, to use this aluminum flywheel on a 016 tranny you need:

- 7A pressure plate
- MC (or other 016 style) crank mounted pilot bearing
- MC clutch disc (or perhaps a custom one from the site I mentioned before)
- MC throw out bearing (??)

for the price, that flywheel is hard to pass up... :bashtard:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts