Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To,
Stephen my Son, Peter A, Nate E, Al @ CPT,
Martin P, Marc S ,Toph M, Scott J, Paul A, Mike S, Mike D, and everyone else I didn't mention who ever turned a wrench on an ur quattro.

I really want to puke every time lug nuts who comment on forums say incredibly stupid stuff.
People who are commenting on Martins urq are totally out of touch.

When I googled my urq I found other forums also nitpicking stupid stuff.
What they know about urq's the found in wikipedia.
Here's are examples;

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-lounge/ ... -audi.html

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/1983-audi-ur-quattro/

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/have-1 ... di-ur.html

This one really gets me

"The seller and the pictures say it is powered by the 2.2-liter 20V inline-five, which from what we know, is not period correct as the 1983 model should be equipped with the 197hp (200PS) 2.1-liter straight-five 10v."

Why are people hung up with bone stock?
That's hardly possible now anyway NLA.

As was discussed on the urq digest so eloquently "original" will leave you on the side of the road every time.

Cheers,
Steve S.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
beforeb4 said:
As was discussed on the urq digest so eloquently "original" will leave you on the side of the road every time.
People in the "original" camp don't get left by the side of the road, they never leave their garage for fear of making their car non-original :lol:

The particular car in the links is beautiful and I'm sure a lot more fun to drive than the 7:1 compression, 160hp car it started out as. As they say, haters gonna hate. If it was original people would be critical of it for being slower from 0-60 than a Toyota Camry or a Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Steve,

Unfortunately that's the reality of selling a low volume, specialty limited edition European car in America.
Other than this and couple other forums, most people in North America have no idea what urquattro is or what it represents.

This is why Europe is the place to sell these cars.
I had a buyer in Germany who was ready to pull the trigger... until he found out what it will cost him not only to import it back to Germany (VAT plus Duty), but most importantly make it road legal.
He had two options:

1. Register it as a regular vehicle, which meant most if not all of my modifications would have to be reversed. Even the lowering springs require TUV approval. They do not mind engine swaps, as long as the engine swap is complete and all of the emission related equipment for that engine is retained.
I remember my old '85 and the stack of TUV approvals it came with for the lowering springs, Koni shocks, the spacers and Porsche cup wheels. Each of the items had to be approved and registered with the vehicle.

2. Wait for the vehicle to be 30 years old and register it as a Historic vehicle. Nice thing about that registration is that after the initial inspection the car never has to undergo another TUV inspection... however, to qualify for those plates the car has to be completely stock.

So... if you want to sell your car and actually want someone to give you decent coin, keep them stock or make sure they can be "turned back" easily and sell it in Europe where it will be appreciated and treated with respect is deserves.
Otherwise equip yourself with a lot of patience dealing with the Jo Blow who knows not what he is speaking of and offers you $5k for all your efforts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Martin,
Sovery true.
Norway seems to be hot to trot these days.

I know a Bloke who bought tons of my spares & shipped them home to Norway via his shipper in Tennessee.
That was a fun road trip except for the blowout I had at 85 MPH in my Touareg.
He buys complete cars & ships them home too.

Talk about triggers...another Norwegian had booked his flight from LA to Chicago to buy my car & last minute crap in his business forced him back to Norway instead.

Both of them told me how rare urq are in Norway since they've all been wrecked rallying .

I'm working on a few out-of-the-box sale options now.
Good luck.
Cheers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
True, just like the gobi haters having to stick out their necks and hate on the color whenever one of that color is for sale. Personally, i love the gold and black combo, just goes together. (in ref to RGBArgee post and countless others i've seen)

Don't know what's the hangup about the wrong engine (cept for the law restrictions on some countries), it's called a restomod. Plenty of muscle cars have it done without affecting value. For me it's a +, i just love being pushed in the back of the seat, sometimes correcting the steering as the car twitches and accelerates.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought my URQ's to enjoy them not to resell them as going into them even when stock and brand new, they are a money pit. The market especially here in USA and Canada is real limited and its a very small group of users and buyers.

They are tools to be used. As for the comment of being kept in the garage. Come down to Battleborne 4 next month and see some originals doing what they were built for - running hard and fast.... better yet join in on Alcan 5000 next year.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't mean to start an argument about stock vs non-stock.
I am enjoying the dialog but that was covered in the urq digest in depth.

My point was that people who don't know beans about these icons out to keep their opinions to themselves.
Criticizing things like color & brake choices seems absurd and a waste of time; total babble

I've started a dialog with Paul A. in California who's resuscitating his Father's (Gobi) urq
He needed a Bentley & I sold mine to him.
He wants to keep the car stock but immediately started asking about brake line upgrades .
So with stainless Steel lines he no longer qualifies as bone stock ....but he is safer.
I'll bet within a year that car won't be the same.

I'm also a member of a Hammer Forum & the Moderator had to shut down a dialog that turned ugly regarding Religion
Now that was a fun read!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
beforeb4 said:
I didn't mean to start an argument about stock vs non-stock.
I am enjoying the dialog but that was covered in the urq digest in depth.
Well.. You do have a good point.. So many people have opinions, yet so many *don't* have a urq..
(and some of us have 2, so we can compare a 'stock' vs 'modified :)

So in my case, I have a urq that's 'tastefully upgraded'..
-Chipped MC with K24 turbo instead of WX (Really.. No comparison there! Big improvement)
-G60 / S4 vented brakes (again, really obvious improvment)
-Front Diff lock actuator changed to 4k style (much more reliable than the bowden cable setup)
-Fuel pump and lighting relayed

All of thesed kind of things make the car more enjoyable to drive, or more reliable.
But in my mind, the most important thing is that *all* of the 'upgrades' are reversable.
As long as one keeps away from cutting body panels or such, I can't see where the 'peanut gallery' has any valid point.

*I* also like how the urq is portrayed as such a 'super high maintenance' beast..!

Look at what it's made from: A 'parts bin' combination of the 4kq driveline/suspension (nothing crazy there), 5k Turbo motor (sort of.. Even more so, if upgraded to MC or 20V motor. Again, nothing extrordinary) and the Coupe body/interior..

So, we that have (or know of) the urq for what it really is can just keep smiling to ourselves, and enjoy them for what they are. Facing the reality that they don't make a good place to make an 'investment profit', may as well drive them, and enjoy them for the fun they are!

In my case, with my peanut gallery so-called 'moneypit/unreliable' urq, I'd have *no problem* jumping in for a few thousand Km trip at all (and enjoying it!) :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
"So, we that have (or know of) the urq for what it really is can jsut keep smiling to ourselves, and enjoy them for what they are.
Facing the reality that they don't make a good place to make an 'investment profit', may as well drive them, and enjoy them for the fun they are! "

Totally agree.....

Armchair critics, who dont have a URQ, venting stats from books or interweb is just noise. Personally I would much rather hear the I5 roaring along.

We each have different tastes and "modify" the cars for our personal use, consequently there are very few "stock" URQ platforms around.

Our red Mars 83 is as near to stock as I can get it currently, thanks to Martin and others on various boards that I have got parts from.To say its original is totally bogus, its as near to the sales specs as I could get it. The reason I went retro was that I had all of the papers on the car from 1983 including bill of sale so it was my personal decision to try to get it to match the bill of sale.

Our '83 Gobi Rally car is as far from stock as you can get and is modified to reflect my requirements in a car to do a certain function e.g. long distance or endurance rallies, trying to sell it for what I have put into it - I'd never recoup the costs - but what price do you put on fun...

Our '82 Group 4 restoration project has parts and components from all over the world getting put in it, it is hardy original or stock. Its a costly toy that may be appreciated one day when we finish.

Martins car and upgrades, as with anyone elses are their own individual modifications on a vehicle. Some like - some dont like there is no right or wrong. I dont like digi - instruments so I collect 83's but I do like Martins car and wish him well in getting some decent $$$ for it. When it sells it will probably be modified by next owner.

Ignore the critics its your car and an extension of your personality, if you have a URQ--- Enjoy it

Cheers

Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts