·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

:woowoo: 8)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
so,i'm assuming that it has the same bellhousing pattern,what about the flywheel,is it a bolt on from the 5cyl,and is the clutch the same,starter,etc...

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it'll bolt up to the same tranny.

Flywheel is the tricky part, the V8's use a specific 10 bolt pattern, only found on the V8 cranks. What I think I'm going to do is get a MC2 style flywheel (once I find one). Have the holes welded up then take it to a machine shop, along with the AT flexplate that is on there now, and have them match the bolt pattern. Should work, I hope! :)

Clutch's I am looking around for, anybody know of a good strong perfomance clutch for the MC2 style flywheels, using the normal 016 input shaft?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
audifreakjim said:
Nate, I can't wait to see this project progress. Keep us posted!
Plan to!! 8)

audifreakjim said:
I'm blaming you from now on for any silly ideas that I get as a result of this.
I've been blamed for worse :D

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I had first heard from someone that the cyl's were sleved, so I was planning on using different pistons. I later found this wasn't the case, so I'm going to double headgasket for now and see how she goes :)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I could use a 16v all coper gasket I think, but the prices of those are up there. I've also found that the G60 used an all metal HG, similar to the 20vt gaskets I think.

Need to start asking around at the VW shops, see if they have any old ones kicking around to compare to the stock ones.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey nate did you figure out what your gonna do for the flywheel? i was thinking this week(how bout that),could you possibly use an aluminum flywheel from one of the places that sells them for the 20valver's,but see if you can get one with just the center hole bored in it (assuming it's the same as the v8's) and then proceed to get the proper bolt pattern machined in it. on reason i though of this flywheel is,there are heavy duty clutches made for the 20v's. I can't remember the name of the company that made them though,not sach's or luk,but some place that made custom race clutches.it's just something to think about :)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that was an option I was considering, but I need to find a company that will sell me just a blank center drilled flywheel. I asked Fidenza, but they flat out said no for a one off or even non drilled wheel. Thanks guys....

As for the clutch, I've heard good things about centerforce, and will probably go that route. The PT 5spd wheel is the same as the 20v/mc2 flywheels though, so no matter the route I go I should be able to get a decent clutch setup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i know a guy who is located right by my dads shop and does machine work,custom stuff too.he told me when I asked about making aluminum flywheels that he would charge me probably about 4-5 hours labor to machine a flywheel @ $50 pr/hr,plus the material.but,once he has the program written to make them, the cnc machine can spit em' out anytime needed.I also inquired about what to do for the ring gear and after showing him an auto ring gear I had layin' round, he suggested having a tight slipfit and use the auto ring gear, all that would be neccesary to do after all this would be to make a replaceable steel wear surface.man,i wish i had a cnc machine.do realize how cool the sounds those things make are :lol:. also ,one other thing,have you determined if the center bore is the same as the 5cyl?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey I found a couple of pics you might like,I hope i can get em uploaded :)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
yeah,I agree.and don't forget the intercooler. we all know how important that is to perfomance :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I bet when he's rolling down the road with the hood down you would'nt even notice the plumbing or res. I bet that thing hauls some serious a$$.
I cant wait until Nate gets it going!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Nate, check out SPEC Clutch, I really like their stuff, they have a whole line of stuff.

Keep us posted baby, show 'em what 034 can do =)

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
newt said:
Yup, I could use a 16v all coper gasket I think, but the prices of those are up there. I've also found that the G60 used an all metal HG, similar to the 20vt gaskets I think.

Need to start asking around at the VW shops, see if they have any old ones kicking around to compare to the stock ones.
Victor Reinz makes metal gaskets for the 8valve and 16vlave...i bought one for my Audi 2.0E.
do you want the part number?
16valve should be the same...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts