Automobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts
In Europe, RS2's and S2's had 2.65 lock-2-lock racks (168mm stroke). My S2 Avant never ever felt nervous or twitchy - actually, I only just found out it did have a short rack like after I sold it. Same goes for my buddy when he owned his RS2. I'd say that 2.5 is right on for street use.

EDIT: Called ZF head office and asked, updated what I said with 2.65 instead of 2.5. ZF p/n: 7 881 955 313 - Audi Coupe S2 ABY. Quick look in ETKA says it's the same as RS2. Still - $800 for the 034 is still a good price, just thought I'd point out some options.

The tighter the rack the tighter the feel, that goes without saying. 2.5 as opposed to 3.5 is a huge difference. I have a stock ratio rack in the rally CQ with an under drive pump, so this would be ideal.

Indeed for autox/rallyX it would be seriously much, much better. I have a long S1 rack in the 90 at 1.75 L-L and compared to the CQ there's no comparison. With mine the only issue is keeping the rev's up so you can actually turn the wheel. But on a rallyx you aren't constantly trying to reposition your hands to get enough reverse lock for correction. And trying to negotiate anything tight is a whole lot less effort. Doing a pylon weave on an autox is cake, no more crossing hands to get around and then getting wider and wider by the last cone because you're losing it. All you need to do is rock the wheel back and forth, a huge improvement in control.

I'd highly recommend this as a serious upgrade if you're doing any sort of performance driving with your car or you just want a much nicer feeling steering.

3B'dB3 said:
I think the answer is yes, there is def interest in high ratio racks :-D
I would hold off on that call until somebody actually pays money. It seemed like there was a lot of interest in the Rota special width wheels, like 5-6 pages worth, but when it came time to put money where the mouth was...

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Lt. Sarge said:
3B'dB3 said:
I would hold off on that call until somebody actually pays money. It seemed like there was a lot of interest in the Rota special width wheels, like 5-6 pages worth, but when it came time to put money where the mouth was...
I can totally agree with that :D 2 people have stepped up and will be getting racks soon, so all is good :thumbsup:

Lt. Sarge said:
3B'dB3 said:
Dude I would have bought one if I had zero knowledge that 2.65 lock to lock is achievable by using an ABY/ADU rack. This rack when I find a used one will fit perfectly to my driving needs.

Lt. Sarge said:
3B'dB3 said:
I wanted Rota wheels, problem was everyone wanted a different style and color and I think we needed 5 of the same to get them made.
There is only one choice with these, so it's easier to come to a consensus.

Regardless, I've got a new rack coming :woowoo:

Discussion starter · #51 ·
2 more racks will be available in about 2 weeks, anybody? Price has gone up slightly to $895 each, after these two they'll be selling for $995 each.

Thanks,

At some point in the future I will be wanting one for the V8Q and will be wiling to pay the $$

Just so you know, I am probably 3-4 months out from needing one if its possible.

Actually how different is it form the T44 / V8Q rack? I am totally rebuilding that whole mid firewall and could probably make a different rack fit if the actual steering geometry is the same.

Timmmy

I'll snag one Javad, I'm in Death Valley doing some vehicle testing at the moment with pretty limited internet connectivity. Let me get back to you tomorrow when I'm at a hotel that doesn't have a brothel just down the road :-D

Oddly enough, my piggy bank is now starting to overflow...hehehe.

I'll have to pick one of these doohickies up when I'm swapping the MC1 in.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.