Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had an issue. The way you adjust the belts on these cars (alt and ac) there is a bolt you loosen and then you put a wrench on a cogged piece which rotates on another cogged piece. Well mine were rounded off since its so thin and rusty over time. Has anyone changed there's to a bolt that presses against something to pull it tight or something else? Can you replace these with new pieces? Right now I've just pried against the accessory tight with a pry bar and tighten the adjustment bolt.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Funny you mention this. Maybe it's different on the 40v V8s, do you have a pic of the tensioner on that? On the ABZ the tensioner pulley is on a sprung bracket that keeps tension on the belt. An ~8" shock absorber/damper looking thing bolts to the timing cover and to the tensioner pulley bracket. I ran the motor without the damper and I saw the tensioner moving and the belt tracked off. I then had my buddy hold a 13mm wrench on the tensioner to keep it tight and it seemed ok. The part from the dealer is over 200 bucks so I made a solid rigid bracket to hold things tight. Only downside to my design is that over time as the belt stretches I won't have the damper to auto tension the belt. I'd have to check it, and keep retightening it as it loosened up.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cuatrokoop said:
He's talking about the older 5cyl engines. It is a crappy solution only because of the metal they used. I used to use force on the body of the component with a pry bar, then just tightened the stuff down.
Thanks Golden but yeah I was talking about my 5 cylinder. Sorry I should have specified. It squeals 85% of the time when moving from a stop for 2-3 seconds then I won't hear it again unless I downshift or come to a stop and move again. I'll get under there and pry it again and tighten her up. Seems to loosen up after a while. I just don't like to keep fixing something if there is a better way to do it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Found these a while ago while looking for alternators. I'd imagine it's the same for all the 5 cylinder tensioner brackets and whatnot. There's a bunch of listings for them if you search around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-100-200-VW ... 06&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Woops, nevermind. Just realized you meant the bracket was toast too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.