Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... i'm swappin an AEB (97-99 a4) 1.8t into my vdub... this means i'll have OEM ecu with distributorless ignition right away.

next mod after that is gonna be standalone... I need to find a somewhat affordable standalone that can deal with the distributorless. Is stage IIc my only option?

how well will this work with the existing coil over plug setup?

setup is gonna be a2 gti / big frontmount / garret GT30r / desired boost - 23-25 psi ~

anybody done anything like this? the one 20v i saw on applications page didn't appear to be running coil over plug... wasup with that? is there a way to put a dizzy into the 1.8t block?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hello Pete,

Yes, if you want to run direct fire coil on plug, the IIc is the only option. The new Stage Ic will do waste spark 4-cyl, you'd just need to get a waste spark coil pack.

The IIc will run your stock coils and even all the stock sensors will work with the system, even the VR sensor off the crank :)

Currently I don't have a 20v 4 cylinder under featured users, the one up there is a 5 cyl 20v.

But, check out this customer car I just got up and running, revs to 9krpm in about 3 seconds under load in 3rd gear, about 300hp on 12psi boost curretnly, running IIc:

http://www.80tq.com/albums/?mode=album& ... ormula1.8t

Either way, I'd love to help with your project, it sounds like you've got a great car planned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i wouldn't neccessarily be that opposed to running a waste spark setup... as most people know the stock coils had issues...

I could probably save some $$ (college student!) run a Ic and a ford EDIS coilpack??? similar performance i'd imagine?

i'm not trying to go nuclear on the rpms, 7500 is the most this will ever see... can't afford the valvetrain for it... so i don't think the wasted spark would pose a problem in the coils not charging quickly enough.

what are the real performance advantages in running coil over plug, and will I, as a first time tuner, be even remotely able to harness these? i'm thinking it might give precise control over each cylinder... and i'm thinking i wouldn't make very good use of that anyways...

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
pete98m3 said:
well, i wouldn't neccessarily be that opposed to running a waste spark setup... as most people know the stock coils had issues...

I could probably save some $$ (college student!) run a Ic and a ford EDIS coilpack??? similar performance i'd imagine?

i'm not trying to go nuclear on the rpms, 7500 is the most this will ever see... can't afford the valvetrain for it... so i don't think the wasted spark would pose a problem in the coils not charging quickly enough.

what are the real performance advantages in running coil over plug, and will I, as a first time tuner, be even remotely able to harness these? i'm thinking it might give precise control over each cylinder... and i'm thinking i wouldn't make very good use of that anyways...
hey Pete,thanks for joining,Javad has all the answer....
trust me on that
:bashtard:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
pete98m3 said:

Hey Pete, yes, you're right, the Ic will likely give you everything you need for your application. The biggest advantages of the COP are cyl-cyl timing control, and lower coil loading. If you think about it, a COP 4 cylinder is reqiring 1/4th the energy from the coil as a distributor system, which results in very high rpm capabilities and very powerful spark.

The IIc gives you 4 GPO's as opposed to 2 in your application with the Ic, but that's a good amount of GPO's to play with. I wouldn't use the VAG WS coils, the Fords are good, and I also offer high-end proprietary coils that work really well too that arent' too expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts