Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First off this is my first post here so take it easy... So the reason I am posting is because I can't get my passenger side window to roll up and down. I tried putting in a new switch and it didn't work. Any thoughts as how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Have you checked power to the motor? Have you checked power to the switch? Do you hear the motor clicking when you operate the window switch? You know...like basic electrical diagnostic stuff.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The regulator could be shot. Did it ever go down while you owned the car? If so did it all the sudden stop working or was it a slow decline in functionality? You really need to pull the door skin off and have a look inside the door. The wire could be bound up as wall. When you hit the switch does the volt meter bounce a bit?

When I bought my 200 neither of the back windows went down. Pulled the door skins and pulled out the regulators and replaced from another 200. Both work great now.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Pull the door skin:
-remove the 2 screws in the top two corners
-remove 1 screw that is accessed by pulling the door handle
-then remove door handle by pulling it out and removing the clip around the cable
-then remove the fastener now exposed by removing the door handle
-then remove the armrest- (three clamps from access holes underneath the armrest) with a 4mm allen head, easiest to get with an allen screwdriver
-then just pop the whole door skin off, using care not to break the pins
-then unplug the regulator motor and test whether the motor is getting 12v when the switch is pressed. Or just give the regulator 12v from another source. Either way, you should be able to figure out whether the regulator is the problem, or the wiring.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not hearing clicking at all. I actually just occurred to me to use a volt meter to test. The window has not worked since i owned the car so i cannot tell you when it stopped working. I have heard of the wiringing ripping apart in the door over time. How do I get to it see? I know how to take the whole door skin off and such, i just can't seem to get to where it comes through the hinge.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Check the wiring in the rubber accordion booties.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
They're just like, a press fit into the door. I still say it's a switch or burnt motor... I have a passenger regulator in my parts car if you're interested.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
paradox11235 said:
They're just like, a press fit into the door. I still say it's a switch or burnt motor... I have a passenger regulator in my parts car if you're interested.
I know it isn't a Switch because I tried using a switch that I know works. If I can't find it in the wiring and I run over it with volt meter, I will PM you about the regulator.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kliminati said:
squeeze it in the middle on either side where it meets the door, then just fold it in on it self and pull out.
Thanks Appreciate the help. looked at your profile, gotta say, i'm liking that Avant you have.

·
Registered
563 Posts
A couple of months ago I finally got around to fixing the rear window regulators on my 200. Neither would go down. What I noticed is the volt meter would dip when I pressed the window switches so I figured they must be getting power. The pasenger side was easy, I just tapped on the motor with a wrench while pressing the window switch and it went down. I lubed it up with white lithium grease and it has been working fine ever since. On the drivers side tapping on the motor didn't work. The Bentley manual has a procedure for disassembling and cleaning the window regulator and motor which I ended up doing. What I found is that the motors collect moisture and corrosion occurs inside them. Before you dissasemble the motor I would try to turn it by hand to free it up and spray some electronic parts cleaner in it. I would not recommend dissasembling the motor if you don't have to since I ended up damaging the plastic brush holder thing. Anyway, I got the thing back together with the damaged brush holder and it works just fine. The regulators in these cars are pretty robust compared to my old CGT. I bet in most cases the regulators can be easily fixed, no need to replace them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

What Part is this? when I pulled the door skin off it was just hanging there. Should something be attached to this? I tried knocking on the motor with the switch held and got nothing. The wires are not rippedin between the door as well.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
LOL... That's part of the regulator. It's the brushes from it. But it looks like your missing the motor part and all associated parts.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Could be if someone just disconnected the two parts. That would definitely explain why your motor wasn't moving if the brushes aren't installed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am fairly new to these cars so don't judge my stupidity. the motor that is bolted to the door. the part i have given a picture of should just go onto the back of that?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yeah it should. Not judging. I'm just laughing the the previous owner would take it apart like that. My guess is something is wrong... why else would someone take it apart.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The previous owner was or less a friend of mine. and let me tell you, not the sharpest tool in the shed. so it wouldnt suprise me. I tested the switch that was on it and it was shot, so there is a new working switch on there. My guess is he took the whole door apart trying to fix it when it was only the switch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.