Automobiles Forum banner
121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
We are going to try to make Ohio. The crank was damaged so the machine shop will be balancing a different crank for us and we are getting a new set of pistons that are a little delayed in getting to us but should be here in time to get everything together in time. We will see. I hope we can get it done it time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Well the Rally Car engine was not complete for SOFR so we went spectating instead.
Took the VW Vanagon and camped in the Ohio State Park.

Met up with Nick Bragg and Dominic DePaoli. They had a very good finish, 2nd in class and 15 overall.

They were the only Audi in the race and they represented very well.
Also supported the #212 Jetta of Ecker and Hardin

Took a lot of video and made some highlight videos.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
The engine is almost complete. The head and oil pan are on. Next up the flywheel and clutch then it goes back in the rally car.
We used a MC turbo block this time so we now have oil squirters. Installed a new oil pump, lightened and shot-peened rods and did a light port to the head and intake and exhaust manifold.
Check out the picture of how far the piston comes up in the head, might be higher than 12.3 to 1 compression, Race fuel only.
Hope to start it soon, Show-Me rally will be here soon.
Enjoy the pictures.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
metalburner said:
Love what you guys are doing. I'm setting up a coupe GT for stage. Hope to see you out there.
Awesome! We have a coupe GT as well that is in bad shape and we are going to try to make a replica ur quattro out of, complete with a 4000 quattro running gear, but that will be a long term project

Where are you located?
Would love to see you on stage sometime.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice! I know of someone out here who tackled that...

Outside of Seattle. Close to Olympus and Oregon Trail rallies. I'll be crewing for a buddy at Tour de Forest. You?

Since I'm pretty new I'll be staying FWD until I get some stage miles under my belt. Plan is to be stage ready for next season. If you look up @metalburner on IG or #oldironracing, thats me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
metalburner said:
Nice! I know of someone out here who tackled that...

Outside of Seattle. Close to Olympus and Oregon Trail rallies. I'll be crewing for a buddy at Tour de Forest. You?

Since I'm pretty new I'll be staying FWD until I get some stage miles under my belt. Plan is to be stage ready for next season. If you look up @metalburner on IG or #oldironracing, thats me.
We are located in Mid-Missouri. I will look you up online. Keep working on it, you will get there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Flywheel, Clutch and Pressure Plate are on.
We will be bolting it to the transmission soon.
We are getting there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Rallyfreak202 said:
Glad to see the progress. Wish I was going to see you guys at STPR!
We won't be at STPR, a little far for us to pull from Missouri.
We are shooting for Show-Me Rally on October 5th.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Engine and Transmission are in. Now we just have to get everything else attached and see if it runs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
The engine is in and break-in has begun.
Here are some pictures and video of the 3rd start.
The car fired up on the first try with the computer on (after we cranked it to get oil pressure with the computer off)
It would even idle which was amazing.
We will get as many miles as we can on the engine before Show-Me.

We are also now Historic

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Rallyfreak202 said:
Great! Bet it smelled good in the garage with that race gas burning.
It was getting a little thick with fumes in the garage and our eyes were burning. We should have parked the car in with the exhaust pointing out the garage door.

Nick, Do well at the Rally this weekend. I will be looking for videos and pictures of the Audi.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
ShowMe Rally is one week away and the car is ready to go.
Installed the oil cooler and did the final oil change today.
I will update once the rally is over.
Enjoy the final build pictures.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Rallyfreak202 said:
How'd it go, Kendal?
Show-Me 2019 Update:

Car ran great. Engine seems to be making more power and the addition of the oil cooler helped with oil temps on stage.
Stage conditions were very unpredictable with lots of loose gravel on the stages and dust everywhere.
We had a few moments early in the rally with the loose gravel and driving through dust from other competitors but we kept it together.
Finished 3rd in class and 5th overall, our first podium at the Show-Me rally.

Enjoy the pictures and videos I will post the in car videos later today.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts