Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for a 4k for a very long time. I found one I can afford, and it's in excellent condition. However, it is front wheel drive, 4 cylinder automatic. Basically all the options I don't want. Would it be possible to take this car, convert it to awd, drop in a stronger trans, engine (either 4 or 5 cylinder turbo), axles, etc. and convert to manual? Am I out of my mind? I would just use the car as my daily for a while and hopefully eventually turn it into a race car. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
You might want to do that for the "adventure", but it would never be cost-effective.

There are a ton of things different between the FWD and AWD - the floor pans are different, rear suspension (+ brakes etc) is completely different, and so on and so on. The amount of work and money involved to convert one to the other would be insane.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
not worth it from any standpoint unless you just want to say you did it. You can find a clean 4k quattro, and start from there. If budget is your concern, then starting with a quattro will be more cost effective anyhow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the replies guys! I appreciate it! So if I start with a quattro, and look for big power, what are my trans options? Or is stock trans sufficient?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
stock trans is sufficient for quite a bit of power, like near 400whp. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
animportant said:
So if I start with a quattro, and look for big power, what are my trans options? Or is stock trans sufficient?
Go for the big power.. Stock is good for quite a while. (Depends on what you mean by 'big power', but good for plenty enough power to give you big smiles!)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'd start with a CGT if you're going to have fwd. That way you'd have a 5 cyl, and a 10vt swap would be easier to pull off.

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
I have a 16v/aba in my 4kq but afaik the fwd 4k is longitudinal mounted so its otherwise the same

check out the link in my thread

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my2000apb said:
I have a 16v/aba in my 4kq but afaik the fwd 4k is longitudinal mounted so its otherwise the same

check out the link in my thread
VERY COOL! I have to read through the comments following your build thread, but how did that 01e go in? Does it directly swap?

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
you need rs2 replica or oem mounts for o1e in a small chassis
I just made some mounts myself, but they can be bought as well

shifter linkage needs to be fabbed or bought, its all step by step in my thread

feel free to post Q's in the 16vt 4kq thread too, its there to help others with conversions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.