Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
i see you are all users of 034EFI and i have been contemplating using this system for a while.Many of you dont know(except Javad) and i have been in the process of building the worlds first ( i hope) AUDI 80 B4 Turbo with a 2.0E engine.I know there is a V6 turbo in canada but i cant seem to find the guy. :wtf:

I have been searching for answers worldwide and i have been always coming up empty handed.I am sure i agree with you all when i say i have a bond with my Audi that i have never felt with any car i have ever owned.I have never met anyone who has owned the 4-ringed beast that was angry at it,that gave up on it or that threw it away.There is somehting that always pulls me back to owning one and this is my third after writing off 2 previous type 89 80q's (wasnt me) :lol:

History on the car:It was imported from England,it is RHD and its engine code is ABK.I have a Digifiant M5.7 system on the car and this is a pissy system to turbo because it has a lovely stupid MAF. :stupid:

Parts i Have purchased:
I bought a K24 (from S4),K26(from 5000S) all brand new and i managed to get a rebuilt RS2 turbo but it cost me a hefty penny.But i think it would be cool to say i have an RS2 turbo. :D
32x8x3 Spearco Intercooler
TIAL 38mm wastegate and 50mm BOV :tard:
Rebuilt 3A head which has aggresive porting on exhaust ports and mild porting on intake.3 angle valve gring job as wel as a AUtotech 268 degree cam.
40Lb injectors
well thats basically what i have purchased so far sending me back a hefty penny.....oh and buying 18" superleggras doesnt help.

What i am saving up for is an Aftermarket system to control my fuel and boost.I have seen SDS systems and how simple they are to install.My biggest problem and i emphasise this greatly is i do not and will not cut any wires to fit any sort of system
with the SDS all i have to do is unplug my ecu and put in 12V power and i am good to go.Nothing is cut and that is the way i want it.
I was hoping Javad could help me out because i really want to own a 034EFI system and become a member of a unique team of 80Turbo's in the world.

I am just so Happy that Audi drivers alike shair this passion and hopefully this forum will grow and we will all meet one day.What is sad is i have not seen any magazine coverage of any sort of an of the 80TQ's (to me there is no 90...its just a renamed 80 with leather.... :lol: :eek: )
well thanks again
p.s. Wizard-of-OD....means OWD....AUD...AUDI! and not overdose :bashtard:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
What do you mean when you say the SDS simply plugs in, I wasn't aware they made a plug and play system for the Diginfant VW's, I wasn't aware that anyone did that. More details please.

Thanks, and we'd love to see your car running =)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
I'm with Javad here, where abouts did you hear/see/can you get that?

You can in theory make any aftermarket system 'plug and play' you just have to source the proper connectors to plug into the factory harness, Then build up little mini harnesses. Of course the existing sensors must provide all the correct inputs to the ecu. For example, does the stock Digifant system have a air intake temp sensor? Thats something you want if you are running decent boost and controlling the timing.

Something to consider.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JShadzi said:
What do you mean when you say the SDS simply plugs in, I wasn't aware they made a plug and play system for the Diginfant VW's, I wasn't aware that anyone did that. More details please.

Thanks, and we'd love to see your car running =)
well ok when i say plug in play i dont mean plug out my ecu and plug in the sds.
This is what i saw.....the guy removed the MAF,the stock ECU,the injector harness and the dizzy.
Installed the SDS injector harness,the crank sensor,and the individual coil packs..ran the wires to the SDS box,run a 12V power ignitoon wire into the SDS box and was good to go.
Thats what i mean.I do not want to cut any wires....
Javad help me? :bashtard:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Sure, ok, that makes sense, so the SDS is not different than any other system out there, by your description the factory wiring was completely by passed and left as is, this can easily be done with 034efi as well. There isn't really anything on the market that will utilize your digifant harness w/o some "cutting and splicing", dat's the reality.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JShadzi said:
Sure, ok, that makes sense, so the SDS is not different than any other system out there, by your description the factory wiring was completely by passed and left as is, this can easily be done with 034efi as well. There isn't really anything on the market that will utilize your digifant harness w/o some "cutting and splicing", dat's the reality.
cutting and splicing of what wires though?....besdies a 12V ignition wire.
You know what noone told me when starting an 80T project.....the COST!
omg the amount of money i spent so far,i could have dropped a 2.7TT into an Audi A4 or VW passat and cal it wally........
but i am just happy there is now a forum for guys like us as we are a unique bunch
so far i have a folder of 9 TURBO 80's world wide an thats excluding mine. :D

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
JShadzi said:
There isn't really anything on the market that will utilize your digifant harness w/o some "cutting and splicing", dat's the reality.
Now I'm confused, which way do you want to go (leave the digifant, or use your own harness)? If you remove the entire digifant harness then you will be building an entirely new harness, with any system that you install. You will have to get all the connectors for the sensors and injectors, then run the wires back to the ECU. At that point the only wire you might have to cut and splice would be the tachometer signal. The rest (+12v, gnd, ign, etc) you should be able to run clean wires to factory terminals inside the car. Even if you can't splicing in 3-4 wires to the factory systems is easy peasy and can be undone in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
yeah, you could just make pigtails off af all the stock wiring uder the dash to the 034 computer plug,that would eliminate even more extra wires.then the factory ecu plug would remain untouched and all the injector wires would remain original.prolly could just go a few inches from the stock ecu plug and strip a bit of the wire shielding off and then solder the pigtails to the 034 harness.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
newt said:
Wizard-of-OD said:
JShadzi said:
There isn't really anything on the market that will utilize your digifant harness w/o some "cutting and splicing", dat's the reality.
Now I'm confused, which way do you want to go (leave the digifant, or use your own harness)? If you remove the entire digifant harness then you will be building an entirely new harness, with any system that you install. You will have to get all the connectors for the sensors and injectors, then run the wires back to the ECU. At that point the only wire you might have to cut and splice would be the tachometer signal. The rest (+12v, gnd, ign, etc) you should be able to run clean wires to factory terminals inside the car. Even if you can't splicing in 3-4 wires to the factory systems is easy peasy and can be undone in a matter of minutes.
i want tp leave my stock Digifant wire harnes.s...how else will my alternator and all that charge the battery?Unless there are 2 separate wire harnesses in the engine bay?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Well, you have many different wiring harnesses in your car, some are for headlight wiring, some for the autocheck system, some for the alternator and cooling system, and another for the engine management system.

What I and some of the others have suggested, is that you leave your factory harness in tact, but connect it to the 034ECU, so that the injectors, temp sensors, TPS and other connections are all made through your factory harness. There are only a few connections that won't be used, in particular the MAF, other than that, I can't think of anything that wouldn't be used (give or take).

Hope this makes sense, its pretty straight forward, since your car came w/EFI, then converting it will be quite easy, and even your harness can be used in the conversion.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know the reason why i cant turbo charge my car or put serious psi s because the MAF does not detect boost...over 1 psi the ecu does not know what to do.
What i want to know is does my Ecu fuel cut?I Have no way of finding this out.
What are my chances of engine survival if i just run say 8 psi of boost with 36lb injectors and a Rising Rate Fuel pressure Regilator?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ok, your last post sorta kinda makes it sound like you think the stock harness is controlling something? Maybe not, but when we talk about your factory harness, we're referring to the bundle of wires that go from the ECU to the different sensors, ignition and fuel components in your engine compartment, just so you realize that your stock harness is just wire, not controlling anything.

Now running bigger injectors, etc, and the like with your stock system just isn't going to work well, the car will never run right, it needs to be tuned specifically for the size injectors you're running, I think we've chatted about this before.

HTH,

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
many aftermarket companies spend countless hours dynoing different combos with different injector sizes and fuel pressures to get the right combo so the engine doesn't run too rich or lean,plus usually they have accompanying chips for the stock ecu to compensate timing under boost.
there isn't really a proper way to use your stock fueling system.
I had never even played with programmable fueling before and my car was the first time i'd done anything even close to it. If I were in your shoes, i would see two options. if you really don't want to cut anything,get a good manual and trace your wiring to see which harnesses you can remove and put the new 034 harness in place or find a way to make an adapter to your factory ecu harness plug,but even then you'll still have to run extra wires for the air temp sensor. this is one of those things where you just have to dive in. if a dummy like me :tard: can figure it out, anybody with decent car experience can, and i didn't have the forum available to me when I got started. I highly recommend this system to you. i know the more I play around with it the more I appreciate the time invested in the developement of such a useful performance product.
034 efier for life,Derek

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Javad should pay you,
lol
however.....i want someone to tell me what is the honesty within my planned set up.Forget aftermarket for now
what about a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and bigger injectors?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
actually,i already payed javad :lol: ,but I'll leave the tech question to him.I'm not totally familiar with the MAF system.i did however know a guy with a late 80's mustang who turboed it, using an MAF setup and he never got it running correctly.always hiccups,idle problems and such,but when it ran it ran good, like high 10's in the quarter. he eventually blew the tranny so bad he took out part of the floor pan :eek:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OK my turn. Yo wiz check it out. I wish (and many others do as well) that it was just as easy as stuffing bigger injectors and a rising rate reg in. The reality is that you NEED to control those bigger injectors. Hence the term "engine MANAGMENT". You need to control those big injectors with an ECU that compensates for boost. I guess I'm not sure why you want to retain your stock Fuel system harness? You could easily unplug your old harness from the ECU, unplug all the sensors ,and zip tie it in a nice bundle under the dash.
Next pull the 034 harness through another hole in the firewall. DONE! I hope this helps.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
AMEN BRUTHA

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, agreed with everything that's been said so far.

I will say that from my experience developing the VW Golf 3 ND Turbosystems when I was at New Dimensions, we ran the cars turbocharged, using the stock Motronic, up to 5psi, they ran fine and made power. The reason it was limited to 5psi is because that's all the injectors had in them. We didn't use a RR Regulator, granted it might have increased the ability a few psi more, we never tried it. The RR regulator is notoriously inaccurate and unpredictable, that's why even Corky Bell himself (if you haven't read his book, get it) says they shouldn't be used in applications with over 10psi (MAX).

So, if you wanted to at least get your car going, I'd say you could probably just bolt on the turbo stuff and drive it running up to 5psi, the car will handle it just fine, this is of course with lowered compression.

That could be a good first stage for you, but putting in bigger injectors just won't run right, I'm confident of that.

HTH,

1 - 20 of 194 Posts