Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
Thanks for the tip, looked into it and yes, actually having the pump in there is beneficial in many ways.
Just need to figure out the best way to drop the pressure.
Also wondering if the stock fuel filter will like diesel going through it... never hurts having two filters.. ;)

Here is more.

Mr. Cook came by on Saturday and helped me withe the motor mounts.

I think I screwed up the driver side a bit, but nothing that a shim/spacer won't fix.

Picked up the flywheel and engine hoist today, hope to have the transmission and rest of the wiring in tomorrow and possibly the enigne itself... we'll see how the weather holds up.. it's HOT HOT HOT out there... we haven't had any rain in over 3 weeks, the grass is deed..

Anyhoo.. few more questions, any suggestions on electric vacuum pumps on a budget. I looked at the B6 and Passat pumps but don't know if they are supplemental or actually provide full vacuum to the booster, anyone know? They are only $100 and would match the OEM better than some aftermarket Jegs unit.

Cheers
Looking good Martin.

Guys don't judge my welding skills in these pictures, Martin's welder didn't have enough current
to produce a nice looking weld, but the mounts are on I can assure you.

This is going to be a killer car

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
You 4 cyl guys have ton of options, unfortunately since there are only so few of these 2.5s here I will have to go to the fatherland for some go fast goodies and ECU chipping. For now stock is the word.
If anything I have had my eye on a nice GT22V from a 151hp Eurovan.

Did very little today, that kind of a day.
Come on Pajak.........your slipping.

:slap:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
80qtdi said:
Martin, what do you have the injection pump timed at and did you time it electronically? The reason I'm asking is it shouldn't take more than couple revolutions to fire, regardless of the glowplugs not working. They will start w/o glowplugs down to 0-3C (with decent compression). The smoke should clear with more use, my audi's engine smoked up the whole shop, but after some decent loading of the engine all smoke went away. But if it's not timed 100% it will continue to smoke.

Keep up the good work. It's very motivating.
Unfortunately this is the first Tdi and one downside is that it can not be timed electronically, the following versions the AAT and AEL can be done with VAGCOM :frustrated:
So it was timed with TDC and pump lined up, that's all I can do with the tools I have.
There is a gauge which can be stuck on the end of the pump to verify the timing, but I don't have that cool stuff.
I think the gauge was used on all VE pumps, so I'll ask around if any of the old school mechanics still have one kicking around.

For now the smoke is not that bad and I'll see if it clears up.

Cheers
Needs more boost........that will clear things up

:D

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Martin,

What a great day!!!!

Thanks for letting me drive the b4, what a blast.

It almost had too much traction, a really fun day with a great group of people.

Hopefully I'll have my 90 there for some side way fun next weekend.

Cheers,

Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.