Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think this will be a great project and one that i would like doing. In fact I had to exercise some self control last year when you had this tdi for sale. It will make for a good DD/cruise/commute car. I commute about 80 miles a day so something like this would be very practical for me. It looks like you have a nice base car to start with also. Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Martin, I'm way impressed on how fast this is coming together. It's not like it is a simple project with lots of parts in any junkyard. It's looking really good and should be a great DD/commuter car. The best part is it is still an I5. :D Did you gain much weight in the front with the diesel block? I know that the old Mercedes I5s were hunks or at least seemed to be.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Thanks, that's what happens when one is unemployed with not much else to do... speaking of, I'll wrench for food..
That's about right with the free time. Any prospects? I've always said a project needs time, money, and ambition, but trying to come up with all three at the same time is what seems difficult. I could stand to miss a few meals and sure don't seem to be able to come up with the time I need to finish projects......do you make house calls? LOL

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
:woowoo: Nice work Martin!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
:woowoo: Always progress on this project. nice

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That's way cool Martin. The more progress you make the more jealous I become. :wink: I love this project.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Bummer indeed!! I like this project so much that I feel like I'm the one that lost out on this one. Glad that, other than your pride, you are all right. With anyone else I would think it would out for the count, but with you I'm sure you will get it back on the road in no time. It's too bad however.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The IQ is effected by larger inj's,
Obviously the ECU didn't like it, but the pump doesn't know how big the injectors are and the IQ will be the same depending on inputs from the pedal, iat, etc. What a bigger nozzle will do is inject the same quantity of fuel into the combustion chamber faster, essentially advancing the timing. This will be alright to a point as long as it's not so far advanced that Peak Piston Pressure gets advanced to the point of wanting to lift the head.

What are the specs on the k24 Martin? I bet I could put a wheel on that turbo that would wake it right up. Question is whether you could supply enough fuel to match it.
Keep that thought Hank. The boys in Europe quite often run the k24 to get past the 200hp mark. I wonder if surge would be a problem at low rpm high load situations with a billet wheel?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
MJF said:
Why dont you update ecu directly to newer version? AEL ecu is not that good either.
MJF, what are you suggesting replacing with when you say a newer version? What would be the best replacement direction to go if replacing an AEL ECU? Would you take a modern 4 cylinder ECU and reprogram it for a five pot AEL?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Dang Martin, looks like you guys are getting hammered. I see that and it makes me second guess my plans for a front wheel drive TDI. :? How is it starting up in the cold these days? Do you have to plug in a block heater or is glow plugs sufficient? Nice picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.