Automobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That looks like the standard Audi cruise control vacuum pump.
The later TDIs had the mechanical vacuum pump like 4kq/Coupe, but because the this TDI was in typ 44 car which uses hydraulic assist they felt pump was not needed, doh!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
Thanks for the tip, looked into it and yes, actually having the pump in there is beneficial in many ways.
Just need to figure out the best way to drop the pressure.
Also wondering if the stock fuel filter will like diesel going through it... never hurts having two filters.. ;)

Here is more.

Mr. Cook came by on Saturday and helped me withe the motor mounts.

I think I screwed up the driver side a bit, but nothing that a shim/spacer won't fix.

Picked up the flywheel and engine hoist today, hope to have the transmission and rest of the wiring in tomorrow and possibly the enigne itself... we'll see how the weather holds up.. it's HOT HOT HOT out there... we haven't had any rain in over 3 weeks, the grass is deed..

Anyhoo.. few more questions, any suggestions on electric vacuum pumps on a budget. I looked at the B6 and Passat pumps but don't know if they are supplemental or actually provide full vacuum to the booster, anyone know? They are only $100 and would match the OEM better than some aftermarket Jegs unit.

Cheers
Looking good Martin.

Guys don't judge my welding skills in these pictures, Martin's welder didn't have enough current
to produce a nice looking weld, but the mounts are on I can assure you.

This is going to be a killer car

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I sweated my bag off today, but the engine and transmission are IN... yes, it's in.
Now, it hits the hood, a LOT... ;) But I think I can lower the assembly a bit and remove the plastic underbonnet trim and we might just squeeze in there.
Just too HOT here... I am soaked.

Pics to follow.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Plenty, actually too much, so lower she can go and plenty.

Here are the shots.

Overall

Yep, she's sitting high, we can fix that NP.
Not as clean as Technoq's but this is only the DD/winter beater, so she'll get dirty in no time anyway.

All the way and some on the left side.

Right smack in the middle on the right side.

Not much space there.

Not bad, me likey.

More tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Nope, it's a K14. pretty tiny for a 2.5
My original thought were to go with a GT22V, but I rather do the go-fast bits for the '84 or the sport, this is going to be the pipe and slippers econo box.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sorry, as I said not if I ever change the turbo it will be for a variable vane type like GT22V.

Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Looking really good there Martin. Takes a certain level of sickness to decide to rip apart a perfectly working DD to do an engine swap in. Doesn't that baller house of yours have a cool garage? I know what you mean, I was painting my windows upstairs in my garage-sweating worse then my 30 mile bike ride I did in the morning

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ralleyquattro said:
Sorry, as I said not if I ever change the turbo it will be for a variable vane type like GT22V.

Thanks for the offer.
I give you 6 months before you decide you want to step up the turbo size. :D
Love the build...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Another productive morning.
Hood is closed!

Once I cut out some of this plastic lining it will be even better!

Tried the IC on, thanks to Frank Mancini.

This is going to be fun!

Could not resist.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Yep, I'll have to go down with intake pipe, no way o go up.

At least it's all in the same area so piping from turbo to IC and IC to throttle will be pretty short.

For some strange reason I am way more excited about this project than I was about finishing the '84.... I guess this is something new I've never done before.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking really good, can that compressor housing be clocked more down and the intercooler/crossmember inlet be changed? Is the ecm original to the engine? Does it have socketed provisions for a chip set?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
No need to reclock or relocate I/C... all fits well on that front.

The ECU can be chipped, problem is that it's such an early example that not too many people make chips for them.
If I decide to chip it down the road I do have a spare computer I can ship to Europe for massaging while still having a mobile car here.

It was way too hot to work on the car today, but starting tomorrow it is supposed to back to semi livable conditions so I'll be back to do as much as I can.

The pedals are still not here, that is the only part keeping me from reassembling the interior.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
A lot of guys are swapping the whole ECU for a Transporter/Crafter ECU so they can run a VNT turbo.

Although...... I know of a guy that programmed a slick standalone VNT controller, needs RPM (from W-signal on Alternator) TPS and MAP sensor. Can run an N75 valve just like a factory VNT. I bought a board and I'm going to play with it some to see how it works. The controller is based off an inexpensive Arduino prototype board and the guy has the code for free.

Let me know if you want more details. :)

Brendan

41 - 60 of 720 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.