Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just want to say that if it werent for the Audi I5 engine, I wouldnt be who I am today. It all started 8 years ago, I was a freshman in highschool and my brother was a senior with some older friends in their early 20s. One such friend bought a 1990 Audi 90q20v from the owner of Dubwerx in Cincinnati. This was my first introduction into the actual car scene.

It all started when he took me on a joy ride on a couple of common curvy/hilly roads in the local area, and I immediately fell in love with the car and the engine. I began to spend alot of time around him, working on the car, and after it got totaled I helped him with his gen2 RX7. Once I was a Junior I went to the local Vocational school for auto mechanics for my last two years in highschool. Upon graduating I secured a job at a local BMW shop, the reason I knew about it was because the owner had a Pearl CQ that was nearly MINT, and me and my friend were always trying to convince him to sell it.

Backtracking a little, my friend totaled his first 90q, which was burgundy in color, and afterwards he started to try to find a parts car. He kept complaining there was so much damage to repair, and I explained to him that the one he totaled IS his parts car, and he ended up picking up a Zermat 90q (or some kind of darkish grey color).

Basically, if I hadnt went for that joyride and fallen in love with the Audi I5 engine, I never would have wanted to go to school for Automechanics, I never would have worked at the BMW shop, and I never would have enlisted in the Army at the recruiters office across from the BMW shop. I wouldnt be who I am today, and wouldnt have the things that I have without these "little" incidents.

How has being an Audict or I5 nut changed your life?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny lol I guess it is a small world. Just a heads up ill be moving back to the Cincy area (Milford most likely) once the wife is out of the Army. I just got out myself in March so now im going to college here in Texas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
288 Posts
it started 11 years ago when I just simply heard the exhaust note of stock 4000, loved I5 ever since.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
audis2clone said:
it started 11 years ago when I just simply heard the exhaust note of stock 4000, loved I5 ever since.
Yea that was a lot of it for me. My buddies was a 7a with no cat and two cherry bomb staright through mufflers on a 2.5" exhaust. It sounded amazing, very throaty and not raspy or ricey at all.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My love didn't start with the I5. . . but for one reason or another I was drawn to the 4k quattro. This magnetic attraction lasted almost a decade without owning, driving or even riding along in one of these cars. Always thinking to myself i'll get one someday, constantly seeing good deals come and go, never in a position to buy, the need for one never faded. Finally I was commuting 2-4 hours a week over the continental divide in my freshly restored 280z and it just seemed like a bad idea after all that rust repair. So I began the search for the audi I always wanted. . . not having much luck I was very close to pulling the trigger on a black coupe GT when my best friend said to me "why don't you just buy my dads? it's in way better shape and it's just sitting there" This was the car I had my eye on for many years but I didn't think he would ever part with it, I responded "call him up right now and see what he would take for it." apparently we caught him on the right day. It was a little out of my price range at that time but I made the sacrifices necessary, sold what I could live without and made it happen. Over the last year and a half every other project I have has been put on the back burner for my quattro but I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes a certain car will just speak to you. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats exactly how I am with the B3 sedan. I am sacrificing right now, I am trying to quit smoking so I can afford to buy mine, sold off some MK3 Jetta parts I have been hoarding and am working every angle to get the money to buy this one. Still waiting on a check from my college to complete the buy, hopefully that comes in next week though.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My appreciation started with an Audi meet about 4 years ago. I showed up late with a friend and most had already left. Dave and Hank were there still chatting and we introduced ourselves. Hank's URQ was still white and I think Dave had recently finished his turbo swap. Seeing the underhood of both these was almost mesmerizing. We became friends and about a year later, I had my 90 20v :) The venture for turbo hasn't stopped and will hopefully be a reality in the next couple weeks. It's been more than two months since I drove a 5cyl and I'm going through withdrawals!

·
Registered
435 Posts
westco4k said:
My love didn't start with the I5. . . but for one reason or another I was drawn to the 4k quattro. This magnetic attraction lasted almost a decade without owning, driving or even riding along in one of these cars. Always thinking to myself i'll get one someday, constantly seeing good deals come and go, never in a position to buy, the need for one never faded. Finally I was commuting 2-4 hours a week over the continental divide in my freshly restored 280z and it just seemed like a bad idea after all that rust repair. So I began the search for the audi I always wanted. . . not having much luck I was very close to pulling the trigger on a black coupe GT when my best friend said to me "why don't you just buy my dads? it's in way better shape and it's just sitting there" This was the car I had my eye on for many years but I didn't think he would ever part with it, I responded "call him up right now and see what he would take for it." apparently we caught him on the right day. It was a little out of my price range at that time but I made the sacrifices necessary, sold what I could live without and made it happen. Over the last year and a half every other project I have has been put on the back burner for my quattro but I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes a certain car will just speak to you. :D
My story is similar as well...In the past month month I've a done 2-6+ hour round trip in the 4KQ and 1-6 hour round trip in the 5KTQ. Even with the age, wear and tear plus lack of AC I can't think of a better car or cars for road trips. Driving both the 4KQ and the 5KTQ on a regular basis as daily drivers makes for a pretty balance driving experience matter of fact My Wife brought up the same fact before I did last week.

Hell as much as I'd love to pull the motor from the 5KTQ for the 4KQ I doubt I will....I never thought I'd enjoy a big body audi as much as I love the 5KTQ on the highway.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
My love started with rs4tech's red 80q. He had some nice mods, and a few other tuning tricks done to his, and I fell in love. It wasnt long after that I sold off all of my DSM's and goodies, and picked up my black 80q. I love the way it felt to drive and the way it handled pretty much everything. And the sound from the 10v was awesome! Now it have been a year and a half since I could drive mine, but I still have the itch and really want to be driving a 5cyl again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.