Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Second post is running issues list and WTB

My introduction / the Why

My first car was a 1994 Audi 90CS. It started a love affair with cars.

I later had an S4 for a brief period of time, but really it began and ended with Audis at the 90.

I have found memories of the interior / the styling / and of course of being a young kid flying around in a cool German car.

My love of cars has never stopped and Ive been fortunate to own a lot of cool cars (30?+). Recently with the sports car world gone mad I stopped with more modern sports car pursuits and decided it might be fun to try my Hand at a build.

The Car
Keeping with the styling cues of the 90, but something a bit sportier I opted to buy a 1990 Coupe Quattro. I like the lines, the interior style, the classic Audi "look"

The plan
I acknowledge what I have below is (a) ambitious, (b) wildly expensive, but its the plan so here we go

Exterior
Repaint Cararra White Metallic, S2 (or rs2) front bumper, B4 hood, RS2 headlights, Euro rear bumper, Carbon b pillars, vented hood for hot side - going to need to hunt lots of NLA trim pieces to get this done

Interior
Full redo, currently beginning to gut and refurbish, stack dash, stack gauges, Porsche sport bucket seats, 034 roll bar, delete central lock, delete sunroof, cover over tan A, B, C pillars, new headliner, new radio (refurb classic or Porsche classic unit)

Motor
AAN/7a build - still working out details here, plan to run MaxxECU to drive it. Hoping Jeff Gerner will be able to build me one by time car is back together again otherwise will improvise

trans / running gear
01e rebuilt, 4k prop shaft, wavetrac (or torsen) rear diff - debating new axles from RG in Sweden

Suspension/braking
Car came with this done KW v3, Verkaline subframes and control arms, Porsche brakes, working on ordering short rack

First stop is getting everything out of the interior and starting to make sense of what can be salvaged.

Tire Land vehicle Cloud Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2/8

Running checklist of problems to solve

1. body wiring and how to clean it all up - pdm? How to connect in steering wheel stalk for basics how to wire in stack dash - remove all these additional body ecus
2. Removing roof handles and replacing with abs plastic - screw mounts to still hold b to c pillars in
3. Plugging and reinforcing sunroof
4. Clean modification of headliner board for no sunroof to then add new headliner with deleted sunroof
5. How to clean floor carpet and not shrink it
6. New fuel tank and swirl pot mounting
7. Manual hvac with ignition signal
8. How to get AC with a aan/7a motor in engine bay

My current high priority needs if any fellow readers have some parts kicking around (feel free to PM!)

S2 (or rs2 replica) front bumper (tentative have)
S2 turn signal indicators (front)
Euro rear bumper
Any and all new trim pieces for exterior for coupe Quattro - especially window and door trims
Carbon fog light deletes with air inlets

audi coupe wiring diagrams that are clear and in English

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice looking coupe quattro. Love it.
Keep the updates coming.
There are some good parts contacts in the facebook groups for classic audis.
Let me know if you want more details.

-Richard

·
Registered
1990 CQ
7 Posts
I think this is Konrad's car that just came from Chicago?

Looks like a great foundation for what you have planned. The trim bits are mostly unobtainium. Use ebay and set search alerts as you will not "trip" over the parts you seek.

Here you go is right. Cost is not your problem. Time is your problem. Hunting down small trim pieces (that are actually salvageable) takes persistence. Years, not months.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

Yes this was Konrad's car.

Good few days of hunting some of the parts, and also starting work on the car.

Shell is SUPER clean, I didnt find literally one ounce of rust on it nor has it ever been hit, currently removing all the interior parts and taking stock of what bits need replacing.

Stack dash arrived today, and also a cool Audi rear license plate holder (which made me chuckle as we wont need that for a few years).

Found lower windshield trim and ordered so there is one done!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah additional update! the lower rubber trim pieces (front fender, door, rear quarter) sourced and purchased today as well.

On one hand I actually enjoy the hunt, on the other its too bad Audi isnt supporting us all more. Other marques have been better about this

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Continuing the back to front removal

few new parts to add to the list

do folks have recommendations on

1. best product to lubricate / freshen plastic
2. Best way to clean and refresh carpet / it’s in pretty good shape but it’s dry especially underneath and almost feels like it needs “moisturizer”

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two questions for the group

1. Is there a metal sunroof from this generation car? I want to pull the glass and use the metal one to weld in and seal that up? P/N?

2. Is there a replacement ceiling panel that doesnt have the sunroof switches? P/N?

·
Registered
1990 CQ
7 Posts
1. yes, the steel sunroof was more common. Of the ~1700 CQ, approx 1300 were steel sunroofs.
2. To my knowledge no, at least not in NA since all imported CQ had either steel or glass sunroof.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you - anyone have experience welding one up?

I would love to keep the sunroof, but I think it needs new everything to be reliable - which I imagine would be a hellish journey

Also what happens if I just remove all these central air locking stuff? Will I be able to use a key to lock and unlock the 2 doors and trunk? Do I need to swap out any parts from a car without central locking?

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
ive seen a few welded sunroof, the paint always cracked....
Plus to get a non sunroof headliner from EU is $$$$$

You can remove the complete central air locking stuff and go with like right click (rclick.co.uk)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am planning on having a new headliner made from Alcantara - wouldnt need the euro one then right? A normal upholstery auto shop I believe can do that and cover my pillars in alcantara right?

Any by crack do you mean once its welding up and put all together it somehow cracks? I have a fantastic welder to do it, why would it then crack later? Plan would be to sand off the paint to expose the metal weld it all together before the car goes in for an entire repaint

Interesting RE rclick - anyone used these in our cars? Would love to read a post about it

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The paint cracks because of the use of too much filler around the edges, and most people don't think to put a support brace in when the panel is welded in. Without a brace, it's a fairly large area allowed to flex as it wants to.

Nice coupe by the way. Wish mine looked even remotely that nice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. Progress continues

fuel tank out, and big progress last night was dash out And wiring harness (mostly) labeled.

some observations
1. I went with an earlier car for my project to make wiring easier but this has backfired! Little digital means insane amounts of wires!!

2. After seeing the oem wire jungle I’m starting to lean towards a material re-wire and to run a digital wire relay. This way I can run canbus and also keep electronics reliable vs 30 year old wiring harnesses

some questions for the group
1. Anyone out here rewire one of these cars yet?

2. Anyone go from the electronic climate control unit to a manual? This would drastically clean up the crazy / remove one thing that will be a challenge to code in vs run it manually which to me at least is totally fine to manual mix air and turn off or on ac compressor

3. Anyone know of a supplier of the male (well and female) electronic clips in the car? This is a sub assembly so won’t be on ekta. Where possible I’d also plan to replace the plugs vs try to replug or pigtail

finally it’s time to decide on the ecm / pdm combo

I am leaning towards maxxecu - due to Marc and Alex supporting these - anyone use their units? PDM?

needs reliability obviously given this will be a restomod street car that the wifey will ride in too!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts