Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What is your plan with the car?
Build an Audi "Singer" - and if it goes well I have a few other older Audi's I would like to repeat it with.

Means
1. Fit and finish is near perfect (have lined up an upholstery shop to assist with this on the interior, painter and body shop for exterior)
2. Everything works - not a constant tinkering project (this is where the rubber meets the road, replace everything that can time out, do so in a way where problems are being solved, not created)
3. Have your wife want to sit in it to go to dinner, but also objectively have it be a fast car. NOT a race car / drag car / project car.
4. Employ a level of simplicity so that 1-3 can be done by someone other than an auto manufacturer

Digital HVAC - cool, but complex - so delete it
Memory seats - maybe helpful, but complex - delete it
Central locking system with vacuum lines, delete it
Sunroofs - love them, but old rails / systems - wont be reliable new parts not available - delete it

Heated seats - yes
Power windows and mirrors - yes
Radio that works and has good sound, modern features, but classic look
Wipers / blinkers / lights / - works and oem like engagement

I have longer lists of inputs / outputs that need to work, but above is the broader plan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m going to start a live running list of issues to be solved - that’s on post 2

today finished getting all interior trim out / wiring is all that’s left inside car

started with emptying out engine bay / this will
Take me a week or two so will update issues list as I go / discover things

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'm going to add some advice/opinion, yaddda

Build an Audi "Singer" - and if it goes well I have a few other older Audi's I would like to repeat it with.

Means
1. Fit and finish is near perfect (have lined up an upholstery shop to assist with this on the interior, painter and body shop for exterior)
2. Everything works - not a constant tinkering project (this is where the rubber meets the road, replace everything that can time out, do so in a way where problems are being solved, not created)
3. Have your wife want to sit in it to go to dinner, but also objectively have it be a fast car. NOT a race car / drag car / project car.
4. Employ a level of simplicity so that 1-3 can be done by someone other than an auto manufacturer

Digital HVAC - cool, but complex - so delete it (its a GM Delco system...its not really that bad, save for two things - foam disintegration on the heaterbox flaps, and the flap position servo motor (easy rebuild)
Memory seats - maybe helpful, but complex - delete it (HEAVY and if you need headroom, not alot you can do)
Central locking system with vacuum lines, delete it (simple and rarely fails, honestly think vacuum is less trouble than electric servo motors) - just add a right-click to the central pump and call it done)
Sunroofs - love them, but old rails / systems - wont be reliable new parts not available - delete it (agreed, especially the glass one where the metal frame rots out)

Heated seats - yes
Power windows and mirrors - yes
Radio that works and has good sound, modern features, but classic look (there's a new Blaupunkt that will fit that bill, I dont have the model #)
Wipers / blinkers / lights / - works and oem like engagement (clean or replace the column switch levers)

I have longer lists of inputs / outputs that need to work, but above is the broader plan.

·
Registered
1990 CQ
7 Posts
Based on your desired "final state" description I think my general advice is to get AudiTradition on retainer. Like many projects of this vintage, the last 10% is going to eat 90% of your resources (and patience).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes agreed - cant get from them directly due to being in US, but have done an order already with someone in Canada and looking into finding a US dealer who is willing to do the ordering for me and pass along some of their discount, fingers crossed there.

I frankly didnt expect the difficulty of parts location, but good news is there is plenty of time to keep hunting the parts and to your point the last 10% going to be annoying.

I am enjoying the journey and meeting lots of very nice and helpful people all over the world who are offering assistance and advice which is really refreshing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Few questions for folks

1. What is the part number for the headliner slider that goes over a sunroof (glass)? I need to source a new piece with unbroken plastic pull handle area
2. Part number for Rs2 bumper
3. Part number for rear euro bumper cab final edition - single color bumper
4. Part number for manual B4 heater control (without AC and recirc button) - I plan to run the AC unit off my PDM, but want to run the blower resistor outside that unit / need manual articulation of the vents and the source of air

Finally - both my driver and passenger manual door lock actuation stinks. It drops into locked position and the difference between unlocked and locked in a vertical height on the manual door lock pins is very slight which makes opening the door require you to hold up the manual lock pin on top of door at times. What parts inside that lock mechanism keep those tight and springy? I plan to remove the vacuum system entirely

·
Registered
1990 Coupe Quattro (3B, K26/K27, VEMS), 2007 S8
54 Posts
Few questions for folks

1. What is the part number for the headliner slider that goes over a sunroof (glass)? I need to source a new piece with unbroken plastic pull handle area
2. Part number for Rs2 bumper
3. Part number for rear euro bumper cab final edition - single color bumper
4. Part number for manual B4 heater control (without AC and recirc button) - I plan to run the AC unit off my PDM, but want to run the blower resistor outside that unit / need manual articulation of the vents and the source of air

Finally - both my driver and passenger manual door lock actuation stinks. It drops into locked position and the difference between unlocked and locked in a vertical height on the manual door lock pins is very slight which makes opening the door require you to hold up the manual lock pin on top of door at times. What parts inside that lock mechanism keep those tight and springy? I plan to remove the vacuum system entirely
For part numbers, I've found the site at ilcats.ru very useful. Here is the page for the European market models. Catalog AUDI

From their page for the glass sunroof (glass sliding roof AUDI COUPE QUATTRO) it looks like it's 895 877 247 for the inner sliding panel.
followed by 5XH for beige-grey or C10 for platinum

Here is the parts diagram for the door lock mechanism, which could be useful. inner actuator. door lock AUDI COUPE QUATTRO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! great to see someone else doing the same thing. What color are you going to go with when you repaint it? Here’s where mine is right now. I’m hoping to get it painted by the end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
is that a b4 front fender btw? The fender flare looks bigger than on my CQ
Yeah the fenders are off of a couple Cabrios from random junkyards. They are definitely wider, when I compared them to the stock CQ ones. But they line up better with the rear fenders IMO. Plus who doesn't want more room for some grip! And I'm a huge fan of white cars, so I vote on painting it white. Cant wait to see what this turns into. This will most likely be the color I end up going with. If I could make it turn black at night and pop during the day, that would be sick.
Automotive design Peripheral Violet Tints and shades Magenta

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey guys - does anyone make a 3d molded part to block off where the dash cluster sits?

the curve is too complicated for me to self fab and I need a clean mounting panel for my stack dash

21 - 40 of 44 Posts