Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, gota share :)

I'm one sunburned crispy critter right now, but I made it through my first SCCA event today. What a blast, about 250 people, lots of cool cars. The course was a little tight because it was at a new venue (DIA) and they didn't want fast speeds, but it was still tons of fun.

I was about 10 seconds slower than the "good" street modified guys on a ~.75 mile track so it wasn't too painfull.

Things I now want:

-racing tires

-rear sway bar

-better seats, racing harness

-A freaken motor with lifters that don't tick after being held at 6000 rpms for a min strait :wink: (time for some thicker oil)

My car was pretty popular, there was a small strait right at the end that I was able to pull really hard in second, then slam on the brakes for the end of the course. When that turbo spooled, then blew off, EVERYONE turned and looked. I had lot's of STI owners drooling :bump:

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
audifreakjim said:
Okay, gota share :)

I'm one sunburned crispy critter right now, but I made it through my first SCCA event today. What a blast, about 250 people, lots of cool cars. The course was a little tight because it was at a new venue (DIA) and they didn't want fast speeds, but it was still tons of fun.

I was about 10 seconds slower than the "good" street modified guys on a ~.75 mile track so it wasn't too painfull.

Things I now want:

-racing tires

-rear sway bar

-better seats, racing harness

-A freaken motor with lifters that don't tick after being held at 6000 rpms for a min strait :wink: (time for some thicker oil)

My car was pretty popular, there was a small strait right at the end that I was able to pull really hard in second, then slam on the brakes for the end of the course. When that turbo spooled, then blew off, EVERYONE turned and looked. I had lot's of STI owners drooling :bump:
I went with a friend to the local yard and we pulled a front sway bar from a 4000S Quattro.Got new bushings from the dealer and managed to get to work on the rear.The results are pretty impressive.Just a cheap solution for you.
For seats Sparco all the way! :slap:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Currently I have a modified B4 90 front bar in the back...but, its too big, the car oversteers pretty dramatically, I can drive it like that, but I think the car will be faster with less rear roll stiffness. I think the 19mm front bar like off a Coupe GT would be perfect in the back, of course it depends what springs you're running, etc, but definitely don't over-swaybar the rear. Now, for Auto Crossing, more oversteer is probably a good thing, but where it really gets you is when you lift off full power and turn, with too much rear bar the car will just come around on you, you pretty much need to left foot brake and get the car slowed w/o lifting all the way.

For tires I really like the Toyo R compound, but they only make a 205 40 17, no 215 or 225, but its still stickiter than any street tire, size w/in reason. Also the Falken Azenis are popular, the SO3's are still amazing, etc. You want dual purpose street and track?

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
JShadzi said:
Currently I have a modified B4 90 front bar in the back...but, its too big, the car oversteers pretty dramatically, I can drive it like that, but I think the car will be faster with less rear roll stiffness. I think the 19mm front bar like off a Coupe GT would be perfect in the back, of course it depends what springs you're running, etc, but definitely don't over-swaybar the rear. Now, for Auto Crossing, more oversteer is probably a good thing, but where it really gets you is when you lift off full power and turn, with too much rear bar the car will just come around on you, you pretty much need to left foot brake and get the car slowed w/o lifting all the way.

For tires I really like the Toyo R compound, but they only make a 205 40 17, no 215 or 225, but its still stickiter than any street tire, size w/in reason. Also the Falken Azenis are popular, the SO3's are still amazing, etc. You want dual purpose street and track?
i had Falkens on my pug,garbage.
Toyo's are good value for money but if your going all out performance tyre then Michelin Pilots or Pirelli P-Zero Nero's
Have Michelin's on the blue car and had Pirelli's on the UR

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Ahhhh welcome to the addiction my friend :) Cheapest legal way to flog your car and take turns at the same time.

Sounds like the course you had was huge compared to ours. Dunno what speeds you were hitting in yours, out fastest normal courses I would redline in 2nd. We're lucky to get maybe 4 tenths of a mile in on even our larger courses I think ('cept the speedway events) We've got a lot fewer cars though, 75-80 is a big event for us, so we can all get a fair amount of runs in, we shoot for 6 a day and adjust according to how things are running.

The favorite dual purpose tire at our auto-x's are the Azenis, hands down. But if you really want a kick in the pants a set of Hoosiers will blow your mind. Combine them with a quattro drive train and the silly motor and you'll probably stop the earths rotation on the launch :)

As for the rear sway bar, overdoing the rear bar for 'normal' racing seems to work quite well in the tighter, slower autox courses where you never get out of 2nd. In my car I pulled the front bar off completely and put it on the rear, the car handled sooooo much better after that, it wasn't the same vehicle anymore. It turns in quick, and you can steer the rear end around with the throttle and brake really nicely. Scandanavian flicks are also a riot if the course is setup to allow one :) Sooo smooth, and sooo consistant. It is, however, a little too much in the higher speed stuff. It's still fun as all hell, took the entire banked 1st turn at one of our speedway events steering through the pass side window (with 3 other people in the car :D:D). But time-wise a little less tail wagging would have yeilded a quicker time for sure. Anything in 3rd gear and up in my car I think a slightly little smaller bar would be perfect.

A harness would probably be plenty to keep you anchored, it's the passengers that always seem to bounce around uncontrollably in my car.

Good luck on the lifter ticking :p Even on a fresh oil change with otherwise silent lifters mine clattered like mad after a run (along with every other audi or vw with the same lifters)

The blow off valve is definitely a head turner for sure, the only thing I wanted to do with mine was to stick a duck call on the vent for the last run of the year, alas I forogt to pick one up in time :x :D

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
newt said:
Ahhhh welcome to the addiction my friend :) Cheapest legal way to flog your car and take turns at the same time.

Sounds like the course you had was huge compared to ours. Dunno what speeds you were hitting in yours, out fastest normal courses I would redline in 2nd. We're lucky to get maybe 4 tenths of a mile in on even our larger courses I think ('cept the speedway events) We've got a lot fewer cars though, 75-80 is a big event for us, so we can all get a fair amount of runs in, we shoot for 6 a day and adjust according to how things are running.

The favorite dual purpose tire at our auto-x's are the Azenis, hands down. But if you really want a kick in the pants a set of Hoosiers will blow your mind. Combine them with a quattro drive train and the silly motor and you'll probably stop the earths rotation on the launch :)

As for the rear sway bar, overdoing the rear bar for 'normal' racing seems to work quite well in the tighter, slower autox courses where you never get out of 2nd. In my car I pulled the front bar off completely and put it on the rear, the car handled sooooo much better after that, it wasn't the same vehicle anymore. It turns in quick, and you can steer the rear end around with the throttle and brake really nicely. Scandanavian flicks are also a riot if the course is setup to allow one :) Sooo smooth, and sooo consistant. It is, however, a little too much in the higher speed stuff. It's still fun as all hell, took the entire banked 1st turn at one of our speedway events steering through the pass side window (with 3 other people in the car :D:D). But time-wise a little less tail wagging would have yeilded a quicker time for sure. Anything in 3rd gear and up in my car I think a slightly little smaller bar would be perfect.

A harness would probably be plenty to keep you anchored, it's the passengers that always seem to bounce around uncontrollably in my car.

Good luck on the lifter ticking :p Even on a fresh oil change with otherwise silent lifters mine clattered like mad after a run (along with every other audi or vw with the same lifters)

The blow off valve is definitely a head turner for sure, the only thing I wanted to do with mine was to stick a duck call on the vent for the last run of the year, alas I forogt to pick one up in time :x :D
OH LORD!
:lol:
Nate you just gave me an Idea :wtf:

And the link of what we did:
i can paint just as good in Canada :bashtard:
http://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/141770.phtml

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
holy smokes jim, you mean you don't have a rear sway bar!! man, that was like the second thing i did to my car after H&R springs. my car right now with a 4kq front swaybars front and rear and the aformentioned H&R's and kyb's will hold a corner pretty good and once you get to a certain point it starts to understeer moderately, not as much fun as what nate's got going on, but a lot safer when your plowing through the S's in the back country. also, i currently have these crappy bfg euro T/A's that pretty much suck for grip.

hey javad, what kind of street life do you guys get out of the azenis? i was thinking that or p-zero nero's or parada spec II's. better yet i'll start another post on tires. that's always an ongoing topic

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Yo 'cuda, I wouldn't really put out that strong of a recomendation for the Yoko Parada's. They don't grip as well as the Azenis seem too, and the tread life doesn't seem to be much better either.

They look neat, but other than that there are other tires that'll do you better. My Kumho Ecsta 712's had about the same grip and were a lot quieter than these are. My next set will be the Azenis, fo sheezy.

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A duck call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Thanks for the advice guys, something like the Azenis sounds perfect for me, I don't want a dedicated tire, I was watching the guys at the track with race tires, and would rather not deal with all of that changing wheels. I hardly put any miles on my car anymore, so a soft street tire isn't a problem anymore from a wear standpoint :D

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Never used the Azenis my self, but I've heard only good things. Agreed on the Prada, definitely not one of the stickier tires out there. The 712's are great on a steep budget, if you have the money the Toyo's and Hoosiers are insane and still streetable.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Rear bars are over-rated, unless they are adjustable IMO...

The CQ's never had one, only type I'd use would be adjustable to fine tune things since spring rates (that I've found) only come in 50lb/in increments. Front springs are 250lb/in, rears are 300lb/in (linear rates, better response/turn-in than progressives IME).

I'll be killing off the 225/50-16 Yoke DOT-R's (old tires, doubt they last too long), then I'll probably go 245/45-16 Kumho Victoracer V700's. I've measured, and things should fit. You sedan guys have it rough. I couldn't get a 225 to fit up inside the old '88 90's front wheel well...

Lifter tick on my 7A was reduced greatly by adding 0.5qt of oil (I also run 20w50 Castrol Syntec). The 7A oil sump does not have enough baffling to keep oil at the suction tube (nor does any 5cyl sump I've seen). Even the AAN baffle will not provide the oil control needed to keep the tube submerged. The AAN baffle, from what I can tell, will only keep oil from being whipped up by the counterweights on left(?) hand corners, it will do nothing else. There needs to be a baffle down in the sump. The 10vt's plastic baffle that clips onto the tube inlet isn't great either. Some "one-way" baffles (meaning it keeps oil from moving away from the tube, but allows it to easily flow towards the tube) in the tube area would be great.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
audifreakjim said:
A duck call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Thanks for the advice guys, something like the Azenis sounds perfect for me, I don't want a dedicated tire, I was watching the guys at the track with race tires, and would rather not deal with all of that changing wheels. I hardly put any miles on my car anymore, so a soft street tire isn't a problem anymore from a wear standpoint :D
Yeah Jim,
The Falken Azenis is an awesome tire for dual purpose use, definately the tire that will be going on my car in the summertime. It can not be beat for the price. Grassroots Motorsports did a comparo a few years ago with the Azenis, BFG G-Force and a few other Non-R compound tires, and for about 1/2 the money, the Azenis did very well. On the other hand, the R compound tires were 2-3 seconds faster than the non-R tires, but aren't streetable, and wear out very fast. The Azenis are trecherous in puddles, (my friend understeered right off the auto-x course in a big puddle once) but so are the bald tires I'm used to :) wet pavement is fine, though, just standing water that causes problems. Only downside is the weight. They have super stiff sidewalls, which makes them pretty heavy (20lbs in a 195 60 14) but I've got enough power to deal with that ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts