Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took couple of weeks off after the mad dash with no results.

Meanwhile, as with most of us, I couldn't seat still, so I replaced the OE oil cooler (all rusted), put a new TB, "organized" the wiring inside the car, etc.

Now is time to attack the non-working engine problem.

Yesterday, I tried again to crank it. First with the same set up, no combustion noise. Then I replaced the distributor with the one from the 5K (no vacuum advance) and now I hear a small combustion, may be one cylinder, when I turn the key after wait 30 seconds.
I went there and check all the marks and they all match.

Anyone up to guess here?

TIA,

Carlos.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hey Carlos, does the 5k distributor have 5 windows? Be sure to have the firing order programmed correctly in the software, are you getting spark now?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting spark.

The distributor is the one that came with the NF engine, so it has the 5 windows. I used this distributor to test the spark by hand.

The way a programmed is:

......................Inj. Driver Number
Eng. Phase 1...X
Eng. Phase 2......X
Eng. Phase 3..............X
Eng. Phase 4.................X
Eng. Phase 5.........X

I suppose this is correct since I drove the car w/ this configuration already, but using the OE ignition.

But at this point I second guess anything. :roll:

Thanks,

Carlos.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
JShadzi said:
Hey Carlos, does the 5k distributor have 5 windows? Be sure to have the firing order programmed correctly in the software, are you getting spark now?
Don't you mean firing order 'programmed' properly on the spark plug wires to the dizzy? :p

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Carlos, double check on the side of your cyl head, but the firing order for an I5 is 1 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 3

That may be part of your problem.

Thanks,
Javad

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said I'll check again.

Audi casted on the head the firing order for people like me.

Is the table above correct for the injectors?

Thanks,

Carlos.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
You should fire the injectors in the firing order as well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I'm lost here. Is the table above right or wrong?

My reasoning is Phase 1 correspond to cyl 1 firing. Phase 2 would be cyl 2 firing, then phase 3 is matched to 4, phase 4 to 5 and phase 5 to 3.

The drivers' triggers in the injectors' harness are cyl 1-trigger 1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4 and 5-5.

Maybe this explain your question.

Thanks,

Carlos.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, its correct for the injectors, but even if it wasn't, that shouldn't keep the car from running (the injectors firing out of order).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This might be crazy especulation but:

If I have the injector #1 pumping fuel when I'm at TDC on cyl #1 then the strokes are out of synch.

I might have the spark but the fuel is not coming since the valve is closed.

That would explain why I get the little firing. It's gas sitting on the top of the valve that goes in at the right moment only once.

Am I crazy????

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
nah, fuel injection doesn't have to be on sync with an open valve, many factory systems aren't even synced to the intake cams anyway.

Are you sure you're getting enough fuel in general to light off a stone cold engine?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, Nate is right, try increasing your cold start pulses, either more MS or more squirts, or just cycle the ignition a bunch of times, if it fires then dies, its too lean, so you need to increase your cold watertemp compensation, then go from there. Will it fire with a shot of starter fluid?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pressure is there (50psi).
The injectors click and when I examine the plugs they smell fuel.

I even tried what I do with the small engines around the house (carb cleaner sprayed in the IM.

You can tell I'm running out of ideias.

Thanks,

Carlos.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Carlos, gimme a call next time your trying to get it started, I can walk you through some stuff.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey carlos, i don't know if you got it running yet, but, you have checked for spark, correct? ok, after that, the only thing left is fuel. one thing my dad does is ,take a can of berryman carb cleaner and have someone do the cranking for you. just shoot the fuel right into the throttlebody and run the throttle by hand. if it runs, then you know for sure that you just short on fuel and you'll need to increase fueling til' it runs.

i had some difficulties with my car in starting at first but it was due to a wierd problem in my stock mac11 computer would support the 034 tapping the coil trigger to make the fuel system run. sometimes these stupid little things can get on the nerves and you need to take a break cause when your anxious, it's plenty easy to overlook simple things.

just trying to help,Derek

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, Derek and I had all kinds of fun getting his car sorted, but eventually we figured out what was wrong.

So Carlos, any progress?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I answered your question on the "LOOM" post.

I took the weekend of to do other stuff.

I'll certainly keep you posted and I agree that sooner or later we will find out that a small stupid think is what prevents it to work.

Thanks,

Carlos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts