Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning.....
:D

ok well i was looking into my engine work that needed to be carried out and came across something on the net.Now i have a 1.8S engine that was originally in my white audi before it got trashed.
While looking into the engine i noticed these specs on it...

Audi 80 1.8S (carburrator...UK SPEC)
: Bore × stroke 81.0mm × 86.4mm 1781cc

Audi 80 2.0E (6A) : 82.5mm x 92.8mm 1984cc

Audi 80 2.0E (ABK) : 86.5mm x 84.4mm 1984cc

VW 2.0E (ABA) : 82.5mm x 92.8mm 1984cc

There is also an ACE engine but its the 16V version and has the same specs as the 6A.
ABT is the same as ABK but with 90bhp
Now it appears i have a problem(again) the pistons i got from Alex are 82.5mm from his 6A engine.I have the ABK engine.The funny thing is i was able to use a 2.0 ABA head gasket on my engine.Is the data wrong?Or did Audi make all 2.0's with 82.5mm bore?I am sure if i had 86.5mm pistons that they would have hit the head gasket...right?
Have you all ever seen a Audi block with 86.5mm pistons?
Looking at the data ...what are my options?
Rebore the 1.8 Block to 82.5mm and good to go?

life really is a learning curve... :frustrated:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
YAAAWWWNNNNN.....

Its gotta be a typo, there just isn't room for an 86.5mm bore, sounds like a combo of 86.4 and 82.5..

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
from this fuckin site....

http://gamma.nic.fi/~ajovalo/VW_moottorit2.htm

are you sure cuatrokoop?
not ABA....ABK/ABT

p.s. 45 VIEWS and only 1 REPLY!?
JAVAD,NATE,DERRA!
Get out of bed....
Sheesh, someone burgle your boggle Wizz?

Chill out dood, don't expect people to reply to every question about every engine under the sun. Many of us on the list are in the US, and recieved a much more limited selection of the VAG powerplants, or are only intimately familiar with a few select samples. Therefore there isn't going to be nearly as much first hand knowledge of the 'other' motors.

As far as I know, unless the ABK engine uses a totally different block, head, and crank, than any other 4 cyl setup from audi then there simply isn't gonna be enough room for a bore of that size, prove me wrong though 8).

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I don't know for sure, but in 10 year of Audi/VW tuning, I've never heard of a VAG with an 86.5mm bore. You shoudl check some more sources, but I'm confidet you have an 82.5mm bore.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean i have been going along this path from the start...2.0 8 valve turbo with ups and downs.Seeing information like this really offsets me causing me to panic.
I am going to keep digging and see what i can come up with.

my block....(what a day)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
well, i'm at a loss here.....guess it's a good thing i only gotta worry bout' my MC's :D

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
I mean i have been going along this path from the start...2.0 8 valve turbo with ups and downs.Seeing information like this really offsets me causing me to panic.
I am going to keep digging and see what i can come up with.

my block....(what a day)
Just stay on the path you're on! Make a 2.0 8v turbo. No need to panic. Just stick to your plan and you'll finish it up.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
how can i....if i am unsure of what pistons i have to start with.
Use the ones in your bores in those pictures? Aren't those the 8.5:1 ones?
Get out a damn pair of calipers or even a tape measure! Measure either your bores or the pistons that came out of the block....
This isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Wiz, take a downer or something. ETKA shows the piston diam to be what I said FOR THE ABK. Most places I know offer 83.5mm pistons as a 1.0mm oversize for the factory 4cyl 2.0L engines. I've seen some offer an 84 and 85mm oversize piston too.

The VW code 2E (Passat, Corrado,etc, and Audi code AAD also uses the same pistons as the early ABK. The late ABK uses the same pistons as the ADY and ACX code 2.0L engines. Came in all sorts of VAG cars, Passats, Jetta/Bora/Vento, Audi Cabrio, 100, A6, 80, B3/4 Coupe, etc.

THEY ARE ALL LISTED AS HAVING AN 82.5mm BORE.

The head gaskets were also used on several other VAG engines, like the 3A, AGG, AKR, ADW, and ADY. There are two HG's, one is a metal/fibre "normal" gasket, the other is all metal (also used in the ACE). The normal version is available in the USA for a whopping $20.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so its settled then
Thanks alot cuatrokoop
p.s. i bought the all metal head gasket(victor Reinz) for $37US.Thats what lowers the compression on the ABA engine to 9:1

unfortunate for me mdg...that picture was taken when the enigne was torn to pieces as i bought the car myself with a seized engine.Those are new pistons,new crank and new con rods.The head is a funny head with single valve springs....
I never bothered to measure the piston diamter because i figured they were all 82.5mm.
Guess that site has a typo error....
woah...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
so its settled then

unfortunate for me mdg...that picture was taken when the enigne was torn to pieces as i bought the car myself with a seized engine.Those are new pistons,new crank and new con rods.The head is a funny head with single valve springs....
I never bothered to measure the piston diamter because i figured they were all 82.5mm.
Guess that site has a typo error....
woah...
Ahh I see, I was under the impression that you were putting your engine together now...

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what are the advantages/disadvantages of runner a shorter stroke?
i will give my reason later but say i was to use 86.4mm stroke instead of 92.8mm stroke would that help me or hurt me?
i know displacement will drop from 1984 to 1846cc so that is one con there.
But would my engine build up boost faster and rev more easily?
some thoughts on this...

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Rods are not what determines stroke. All the shorter rods will do for you is move the piston further down in the cylinder, or move the wrist pin if you get different pistons. To change the stroke of a motor you need to get a new crank.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts