Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,was hoping i could get some help.(as usual :p )

CAn anyone tell me whats the rough price of a Brembo Big red brake system for my car....or does anyone know of anyone who has one for sale?I am just asking because i plan on doing a 5 hub conversion to get more wheel options.
I think it was nate a couple of months ago who posted something about making his own kit?
thanks...

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
You don't need the 5x112's. Plenty of wheels out there in 4x108. Tires.com, TireRack.com, TeamDynamicsUSA.com, Compomotive, etc.

A kit price will vary...Figure rotors are $130/ea, hats $250 at a shop for material and labor?, carriers $200 at a shop?, new lines, new pads, and calipers. Probably $1200 at a minimum? If you can DIY the machining that will greatly reduce the cost. A full bolt on kit would probably be in the $1800-2200 range.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats the thing...
i am doing all these things at once so i might as well enquire about brakes one time.
no no...i will not be buying one of those bolt on kits.I was told i could grabble up all the parts at half the price and the reason i am changing to 5x112 is because they are not many wheel options in 4 x108(at least the patterns i like)
D-TEk as well as VOLk dont make 4X108 wheels.
was hoping someone could help me out as to where i can grabble up all the parts.Was speaking to Dustin from RPI but he only has Wilwood and well i like Brembo...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
well thats the thing...
was hoping someone could help me out as to where i can grabble up all the parts.Was speaking to Dustin from RPI but he only has Wilwood and well i like Brembo...
Ebay is good for the cheap grabblers.
What's wrong with Wilwoods?

·
Registered
37 Posts
So it's better to try to either a) pay more for a kit or b) try to gather up the parts yourself than to buy a kit from RPI? Unless the primary function of putting big brakes on it is to have red showing under your rims and the 'Brembo' logo on them, you would probably be hard pressed to quantify a difference between the 13" RPI/Wilwood kit and some big reds. I know those RPI kits have been available for awhile and they sure look like an easy upgrade.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
FWIW, I really like Brembo based kits, the calipers are indestructable, never need rebuilding, and perform flawlessly. I've seen those brembos endure some amazing torture and still function. Its the bolt on and forget it brake kit, aside from changing pads here and there. Nice thing about Wilwoods is the cheap pad selection, and they are nice too, but if its up to me I'd go with Brembos, especially if price is equal.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
can't argue with the brembos. wilwood is lot's cheaper though. so, it's up to the pocketbook :D

so, lemme see, now your a boggled grabbler, right? i just wanna make sure i've got things straight :wink:

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JShadzi said:
FWIW, I really like Brembo based kits, the calipers are indestructable, never need rebuilding, and perform flawlessly. I've seen those brembos endure some amazing torture and still function. Its the bolt on and forget it brake kit, aside from changing pads here and there. Nice thing about Wilwoods is the cheap pad selection, and they are nice too, but if its up to me I'd go with Brembos, especially if price is equal.
javad can you piece together a Brembo kit since you seem to be the guy who can get stuff together?

what is FWIW and Derracuda whats a Boggler Graber?
p.s when you have money floating half way across the world it tends to catch up with you and then you gotta make the right decisions instead of making all the wrong ones.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
FYI,

Wilwood's on the rally car have around 400 rally miles and they are very gravel blasted,but still work great. For the cash you can't beat them.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
audifreakjim said:
Look into a BIRA system, you can get the calipers used, I paid $250 for the pair, $100 brackets, and rotors are $250-$500 depending on if you go with Colemans or not. Easily doable for under $1k, a little more if you have to have 13" rotors.
Jim this is available from bira.org?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
well, in your case, wheel weight isn't really going to matter, unless you get some heavy steelies or cheaply cast aluminum wheels.
you want something that is going to fit your brake combo,wheel wells,and in your case,looks.

sometimes you can't have it all man. your not building an all out race car, so if one of your main goals getting the lightest wheel possible, that can really change your plans and make things expensive really quick.if you don't have the resources to make brake caliper brackets and rotor hats, plus if your 5 lug hubs you got don't press right in, then you should stick with the 4x108. look under the application for 99-02 mercury cougars for wheels( they have sizes 15-19"). that's what my konigs are off of and they fit perfect. the only thing i had to have made is hubcentric rings. and that cost me about $10 in material and a friend made them or me on his lathe.

the 5 lug conversion is expensive from every angle, so it's up to you. do some research on wheel offsets and backspacing so you have a good knowledge of how they work, then compare your stock specs and when you get back home make a jig that can give you a relative idea if the wheels available for the 4x108 have the right offset and when they have tires on them, you can get an idea if they will fit.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sadly no lightweight wheel is made in 4x108
aka VOLKS TE-37.
Derra incase you dont realise when i go out....i got all out and usually get messed up in the end.Coming on this forum was the best thing i ever did.But a 6-speed box that was a waist of my time....thank god i sold to a guy with a 1.9TDI ( whatever he does with it is his buisness)
i know they are kits in 4x108...willwood has one.OZ superleggras come in 4 x108 in 18" but they are such a common wheel right now and well i am going for unique ness.The Stilauto's i have on the car were special ordered from Italy to my bolt spacing and they well cost me a pretty penny and then after people saw my car on the site the owner started odering in more.
a Brake upgrade is a must whatever way i look at it.
This is what i have come uop with so far.

Front:
Brembo Caliper (kit)
Brembo Disc (kit)
Brembo Bracket (kit)
A4 Hub. (force5 or someone local)

Rear:
Stock Caliper (have that)
Brembo disc ($99CAN from a place in TO,4x108 and 5 x 112 practically the same)
A4 Hub.

i can get the hubs for about $300CAN.I asked my dad if he would help me out and he said once i stop annoying him.So i guess it all boils down to how well everyone can help me source the parts.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I guess if you believe everything you read than this guy might have a point.
The truth of the matter is that alot of the performance parts you buy are for
"off road use only". I think Manufacturers use that term for Liability reasons.
So Brembo's are for street use and maybe since they are willing to say that they have increased their risk. Maybe thats why the Brembo's cost so much more? A good friend of mine picked up a 2003 STI this summer for his daily driver. He wanted to ditch the really big Brembo's so he could get smaller wheels for winter. We went over to see the guys at VT Sportcar(they supported the Subaru rally team in the US) and asked Colin(very respected mechanic in rally) what he thought. Colin explained that the big brake caliper/rotor craze seems to be an American thing. According to Colin the stock STI brakes are way overkill for the car. Colin knows his stuff,and I can tell you from experiance that you don't need huge calipers unless your doing it for looks. I'm going to keep my stock 4kq rotors and use Wilwood 4 piston calipers,and I bet they will work just as good as the brembo set up. I'll bet $100 actually. I'll also bet they last just as long for another $100. Anybody want to take the challenge?
I'm looking at spending.....
2 Wilwood calipers $240
hardware $50
Adaptor $0 (bridgeport)
Pads $50
Stock size power slots $70 pair

Total $420

of course all of the above is just IMHO......
:D

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey aaron, I'm up for the same idea. lemme know when your bracets are ready.

also, the volvos of the 70'and 80's had nonvented rotors of modest size and four piston calipers that fit under 14" wheels, and to tell you the truth, the way those things can stop (even with the stock crappy wheels) is very impressive, almost scary even! .only draw back is they are cast iron. so I look forward to how dropping the unsprung weight of the calipers feels :)

i have heard that bigger rotors can be modulated better and that sounds absolutely right to me, I can't argue. javad can vouch for his brakes and how fantastic they work.

oh, crap, i think I just "hijacked" this topic....oops, sorry wiz :wink:

1 - 20 of 169 Posts