Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have sat lurking long enough. It has been almost a year since I picked up my 1990 CQ in Lago Blue. And just recently, I sold my Golf VR6 (4-door) to force myself to dedicate myself to this car. I've spent countless hours reading posts and searching threads here... and guess what, I still am not 100% on what to do for a motor swap! But that's gonna be almost the last thing I do... I think.

The CQ: 150k with minor problems, I am slowly fixing...

Plan of Attack

-- Suspension = I got a set of KW Coilovers on the way, already have S2 hubs, and Bilzcat got my brakes covered. I am still on the fence about poly everywhere, somewhere or no where. My subframes are rusted so I bought another rear (thanks Josh) to media blast and repaint. As for a good ARB.. I am all ears.

-- Exterior = I hate the NA bumpers, I want S2s. I have a CF hood and am planning on buying RS2 lights, other than that I am just hoping to repaint the car including the CF hood.

-- Motor right now : 20vt>4.2l V8... but it always changes, I do want to shoot for the 500hp mark. I am confident of pulling that off.. where there is a paycheck there is a way.

-- Interior I am 6'8" so i want to modify the seating arrangement to fit my frame better... plus a custom retrim, but that will be last.[/b]

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice looking CQ.

You're starting from a great point. Car's body looks pretty correct without taking any close up looks at it.

I have lago blue like yours but my body is beat to shit.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Definately an ambitious project. Very similar to my own, but maybe a better jumping off point. good luck, looks good so far!

·
Registered
845 Posts
darin, is yours as clean as this one?

I bought mine dirt cheap, when i mean cheap, think less than 1k.
the mc-1 i bought for 125.00

Why not turbo charge the motor you already got?

In retrospec, i would have probably started off with a much cleaner coupe and turbo charged my 7A. I would have probably seen 230 hp conservative to the wheels.

Instead, i'm buliding a 10VT monster thats gonna be making 280 on the street and with the boost turned up 310 at the track. Hopefully.

Dunno. just food for thought. Either route you choose make sure you plan to have a seperate vehicle to drive in the meantime. I may be taking the bus to classes if i don't hurry up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, a lesson I have learned from previous projects is, don't pull the motor til you absolutley have, too. So no matter what I do, I am going to build another motor and drop it in. Once a car sits off the road for too long, I loose interest.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
im going to avoid the motor swap all together and use the compression lowering head gasket from 034...muaahhahaa, i can hardly wait

excellent coupe!! I didn't like my 90 20v with the lago blue when i saw it, but i couldn't refuse it for the money. Now the color is growing on me although the clear coat has seen MUCH better days

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
yea, i know a lady here with a lago coupe that has the same problem.

my hood was peeling and i used rubbing compound until i couldn't feel my arms to get rid of it. The rest of my car is covered in hairline cracks...m'eh, oh well. It looks good from 10ft. Perhaps someday i'll go crazy and respray it.

guy i know (kingof20v) had a 91 90 20v sedan that had the same problem but it was silver so it didn't show as much

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE - So I bought a 200TQ 20v. The plan was to pull the motor on this car for the coupe, but I am starting to like the 200, too. Either way the motor will stay in the 200 till winter when I am ready to pull it..

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yeah but that NF/NG bottom end won't make it to the proposed 500 bhp goal. However, if you're thinking of building a motor up like Javad did, it doesn't really matter what you start with. The NG/NF block is a very cheap starting point. Ditch the pistons and rods, keep the crank, and start building! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so it's been a while since I have done anything to the CQ... okay maybe like 3 years. But I finally dug in the other night and committed by removing the rear subframe to start the suspension overhaul. I have another rear suspension set-up that is already getting blasted and welded then coated to go back in.

Damn, it felt good to actually start this project. I hope to have all of the suspension done by June.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Over a year ago I projected that I would have the suspension in and sorted by end of June, well I was right, since I didn't specify which June. Okay, so it took me a bit long. I sort of got busy with 0-60 and then just got lazy and then discouraged.

Well anyway, three weeks ago I decided I needed to get back working on my car. And I did, with some vigor (I am freshly single, what else is there to do at night now.) SO last we spoke, I was removing my suspension bits and having them powdercoated.

I opted for a glossy anthracite finish. Partly because after all that work I wanted to do something other than just black and second the gloss will be easier to keep clean. Here's the rear subframe (with 4000 front control arms to allow for the 4000 front sway bar, aluminum subframe bushings, seam-welded the frame and brand new control arm bushings)

I have S2 hubs all around with the stud kit from [email protected] (nice stuff!), I also have KW Competition custom built struts. I'll be honest, I am not sure what the difference between these and the units 034 offers. I had them built way before the 034 units were available and all I know is that i was told "These would have cost you a boat load, they are way more than a V3" by my guy at KW. Aww, the perks of being an Auto Journo. I am also running the a brake kit from Bilzcat. It uses 996 non turbo front calipers, and sadly I forget which rotors (hence why I have none yet). I also have the Mance Spherical mounts up front.

The other night I just test fitted my wheels, IFG A5s 17x8. I think the offset is 30, I forget. Either way, I may need a spacer to fit my 235s, as you can see the wheel sits very close to the steering arm.

So this is what I will be working on this weekend after I mount my Toyo R compounds...

Issam, these were shot with our Canon 20D, it's sort of become the throw-around camera that we leave at the garage. The stuff in the mag that is shot by Tony Harmer is mostly done with a Canon 1Ds Mk2 or a HasselBlad medium format with a Phase 1 digital back.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't think they will fit, have some 16 borbets in the garage that will though we could swap. Just in case I could take the rotors/calipers too!

Just kidding, keep up the good work. Is the car in NY or PA?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts