Automobiles Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I sure hope Brian posts up details and questions during this build (shit i need to get back into mine too...).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Ok... 10 YEARS LATER - Knocking the dust off the CQ and this build thread.

A quick decade later update. I left 0-60 Magazine. Started working with Ken Block (see Gymkhana films). I moved to California. Started a company called Hoonigan (see fun shit with cars). Life got busy. I got married. The CQ got abandoned along the way. I never even finished the suspension install. Most of my friends told me "Sell it, you have a 911 now, who cares about the CQ." But I still cared.

Hoonigan does a YouTube show from our garage called Daily Transmission that is a mix of burnouts, other dumb motorized antics and some builds. So I'm currently getting back to work on the CQ and filming it for a segment on the show dubbed Scottos Project Car Rehab (the CQ is not the only one collecting dust). New goal though: To start I was building a street-trackday car. Now it's likely going to end up more of a street-legal track/hillclimb/tarmac rally car.

First episode:

In short here is what I did:

- made sense of what was left to do. This took a LOT of time.
- tried to find all the parts I needed to finish-up what I left undone last time.
- Went through and snugged up any of the hardware, just to make sure i did the first time around. It still needs an alignment, etc, which at that point I'll spanner check it again.
- Installed the other front Porsche brake...
- Made it more of a roller.

Goal next time is to get the 7A to turn over. Don't think I drained the gas tank. This will be fun.

Oh and yes, we were fresh out of wire wheels...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Any info on the rear tie rods? Never seen them before, got me curious of the brand and vendor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
PRY4SNO said:
Thanks for the update!

Any info on the rear tie rods? Never seen them before, got me curious of the brand and vendor.
They look like the old 034 ones, not great for a street car as they corrode pretty quick I believe

·
Registered
635 Posts
Awesome Brian! Glad to see you over here! i have been following your show everyday as my son sits on my lap and watches too (he is two now).

Every day I hope to see more CQ on the show. Good luck, these are nice, rare and look way newer than 1990/91 IMO. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just watched the latest episode, nice to see some more progress.

What did 034 say about the silicon rad hose? Many of us had to cut some a little to fit, that's a pretty common issue.

Did you refill with G12 coolant? The crusty residue from the old stuff looked yellow, should be pink.

FYI, the S2 bumper colour you have is officially called Cayenne Metallic.

Are you planning to relay your new RS2 lights so you avoid burning out the stalk switch the bulb out warning, and get full power to the lights?
http://www.20v.org/light.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
PRY4SNO said:
What did 034 say about the silicon rad hose? Many of us had to cut some a little to fit, that's a pretty common issue.
Actually Javad DM'd me about it. Said I must of gotten the wrong top hose.

PRY4SNO said:
Did you refill with G12 coolant? The crusty residue from the old stuff looked yellow, should be pink.
It was the green stuff. Going to flush it one more time and then run G12/13

PRY4SNO said:
Are you planning to relay your new RS2 lights so you avoid burning out the stalk switch the bulb out warning, and get full power to the lights?
http://www.20v.org/light.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, going to build out a harness relay. I also have the euro light levelers.

@Chapel - Thanks for keeping this build thread alive! Haha

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Making all the right moves, not surprising of course, but nice to see.

Any chance you'd post up what you do with the harness relay? Lots of posts out there but few step-by-step guides or photos. I believe a B4 harness can be used with little to no modification to keep it OEM.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts