Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey javad, your last dyno run was with the stock cam right? and jim, your running the stock cam too? who's gonna give us 10vers a dyno run with an aftermarket cam for comparison. i have a bluasport 272 and i like it, but have had it in the engine since the transplant, so i don't know what the difference really is.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have a Schrick 272 cam in my 10vt...

I'm on the fence about it.

I like the way it pulls from 3,400 - redline but driving around under 2,000 rpm's isn't much fun. The engine feels lazy and buzzy.

I assume due to the overlap of the 272 cam I'm getting all sorts of "confused" intake pulsations...

I'd like to try a less agressive cam at some point. Anyone have any BTDT?

I talked to a guy on the east coast who swears by a custom ground 268 cam...

BTW, anyone know what specs the stock cam is?

Steve

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i like my bluasport 272 cam, It pulls very good from the midrange until 7000(rev limit set),but I also have no drivability issues on the bottom end. I can lug it in 3rd at 1200rpm up a hill and it doesn't buck or die out.

as far as the overlap goes, the 272 that i have has about 48 degrees, the stock mc 1 has, i think, about 2-4 degrees if i did the math right, but i also suck at math :D i don't remember what the duration is, but i think lift is 11mm's, the 272 has 12mm of lift.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Ha, if I tried to lug my car up a hill at 1,200 in 3rd my car would be very unhappy... :slap:

It wouldn't stall but it sure would buck...

I also have to be very selective when trying to race the car because if I use the wrong gear going into a turn, it'll be an eternity to get any power down...:x

Steve

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

I also have the Blau cam. I like it alot. I used in my 4kq when it was N/A
with the 2.3 nf lower end and a ported head. The car was pretty quick for an NA motor. It's been very nice in my turbo motor also. I havent noticed any low rpm drivability issues.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another good thing aboot the blua cam is the price, $209. that's almost worth singing about considering all the others start at about $400 and then go up from there. I'm sure it may not be an ideal race cam or an all out cam, but for the money, it's better than stock and is very livable. now if only 20v cams were this cheap :wink:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I got mine on e-bay for $90. That was a super score!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
$90? Nice!

You don't want to know how much the Schrick cam costed... :(

Steve

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yea I bet you made a large donation of fun tickets for a shrick item.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Derek, ya, I never did get to dyno with the Elgine 272/268 that I have, but my estimation, and based on Jim's #'s is that it would have been worth another 10% peak HP, but its hard to say. My dyno graphs definitely show power falling off pretty good after 6krpm, this would definitely hold with a more aggressive cam: http://www.80tq.com/Dyno.html

I think the Blau cam is a great upgrade, granted you'll loose a little power down low, but at the race track, you'll always want that power up high than down low, if you expect to win a race by making 10 more hp below 3krpm you're not going to be very competitive, this all applies to a small displacement motor like a 2.2 10v. Its that 40hp above 6krpm that will give you the advantage.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
SteveAngry said:
I have a Schrick 272 cam in my 10vt...

I'm on the fence about it.

I like the way it pulls from 3,400 - redline but driving around under 2,000 rpm's isn't much fun. The engine feels lazy and buzzy.

I assume due to the overlap of the 272 cam I'm getting all sorts of "confused" intake pulsations...

I'd like to try a less agressive cam at some point. Anyone have any BTDT?

I talked to a guy on the east coast who swears by a custom ground 268 cam...

BTW, anyone know what specs the stock cam is?

Steve
Am I the east coast guy that swears by the custom ground 268/260?

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Eric I'm going to try to get a couple more made.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Myke,

Yup, yup that would be you.

Steve

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Myke,

BTW, these all gonna be regrinds of the urq cams?

Steve

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
SteveAngry said:
Myke,

BTW, these all gonna be regrinds of the urq cams?

Steve
Yup Yup I'm very impressed with it.
I going to do a dyno comparison too.
I'm looking for a K26/K27 right now, the K24 doesn't maintain
high enough pressure to show the gains.

Hey, why so angry LOL!
Your not angry on the AWW

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it depends on lobe centerline and overlap between intake and exhaust. the more overlap the more reversion at low rpm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts