Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what happened:

1. I reviewed all wiring and replaced any connection that I thought could cause problem. I could not find anything wrong, but the feeding for the Hall was 1.2V instead of 5V.

2. Tried with the "manual" distributor, no injector clicks!

3. Tried to save the current file with the name "V1", still got the error message. Tried to reload previous version. Same error!?

4. When nothing works with a PC, what does one do? CTRL-ALT-DELETE!
So, I removed the software from my laptop, re-install it, and voila'! I could now save/load the parameters!? (that's why we will have mainframes for a long time, and I'll have a job for this period)

5. Tried the manual distributor, then the injectors started clicking.

6. Tried to crank it, and it works!!!

Now come some issues:

1. It misfires over 1200-1400rpm
2. I reduced the scaler from 14 to 12, 10, 8 no difference.
3. I'm using the NF distributor (w/o vacuum advance)
4. I still need to install the O2 bung
5. Engine is set to TDC.
6. Coolant temp is forced to 85C using a resistor (new sensor is currently w/ Mr. Brown)
7. Car is running with full 034(ignition).

Where would you start fiddling in such scenario?

I'm thinking to advance some to overcome the retard set.

The good thing is that it ran on all attempts after the software re-install.

Cheers,

Carlos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,137 Posts
Carlos, very interesting about the sofware reload.

Ok, so the one thing I'd like ot know (congrats BTW!) is how much static advance do you have dialed in? Remember, the NF Dist. does not have mechanical advance, and the ECU will only retard timing from a base mechanical advance (for distributor systems). Thus, I'd set the distributor to 30d of advance, and pull that back to say 18-20 under WOT.

That's where I'd start, let me know where you're at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I moved the timing to -20 degrees and reduced the scaler from 14 to 12 it ran a lot better.

I could not go any further on the testing due to a small "FIRE!" in the engine bay.

An unused harness (from CIS) managed to lay on the header and burned.

I need to unclutter that area and build some kind of heat shield for the fuel lines. The return line is too close for my taste to the header even though it is a braided line, I have it in a fire sleeve and wraped with a heat barrier fabric.

I'll do this and continue the testing/tuning.

But the good thing is now it cranks at all attempts!!!!

Cheers,

Carlos.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
201,871 Posts
Sweet, at least you're getting consitent results. I'm willing to bet your software problems may have been uploading some bogus maps to the ECU, regardless of what you were entering in the gui, since now everything magically works after the reload.

Anyway, happy tuning, and try to keep the flames restricted to the tailpipe 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, at least you're getting consitent results. I'm willing to bet your software problems may have been uploading some bogus maps to the ECU, regardless of what you were entering in the gui, since now everything magically works after the reload.
It could be something like that. The cheap laptop I use doesn't have a real serial port, so I use a converter from USB to serial. It could be the culprit.

Anyway, happy tuning, and try to keep the flames restricted to the tailpipe Cool
I have to admit that this is a good idea. 8)

Later,

Carlos.[/quote]
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top