Automobiles Forum banner

Casey's V8 5spd:Cort's, no, Casey's, no, Cort's, no Keith's!

56118 Views 290 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  Mbsjr92
I sold the Mini and upgraded to a 19 year old Audi! At least it's low mileage with only 134k :p

1991 original 5spd purchased from my friend Cort in Burlington, VT. It's in pretty good shape, but does need a starter, power steering pump, and the center u-joint/carrier bearing to be serviced. Those will come with time. It also needs similar blacking of the ecodes as on my 200.

Best part? The stebro exhaust :D turns lots of heads which then results in confused looks from onlookers as they see an Audi that looks nothing like an A4 drive by. I have had one gentleman who knew what it was come up and talk to me about it and then he started talking about an old 100 he had and how he misses that car and hates the passat 4-motion he picked up.

Other than that, it does shift 1-2 and 3-2 kind of hard... I hope but kind of doubt new fluid will solve the problem but who knows.

On to the pics! Now I have matching pearl money pits. Ooops.

See less See more
241 - 260 of 291 Posts
WOMBAT said:
Looking forward to seeing the S5 wheels on it 8)
My wording was terrible when I said that. The wheels I have on did infact come off of an S5, though they are not the stock wheels, they're just some cheaper beater winter wheels. They look nice though, I'll take some pictures when it's sunny out.

Looking to source either some bbs speedlines or bbs CH, I'm thinking they would suit the car well, more period correct.

Side note, I put in the short shift kit today, man how much nicer it is. Just feels much more solid and connected with each shift.

Bad note, a leak has sprouted. I have yet to source exactly where it is (which line etc), definitely power steering. Old Audi's blessing (or curse) has to be leaky power steering systems. I can not seem to escape it.

So, piece of cardboard under it tonight and I'll diagnose it furthermore.
The leaks just let you know you have fluid. It's when the leak stops that I worry.. haha

Not the best pictures, but better than none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See less See more
gawd, looks great! So want mine back on the road!!
im digging those wheels
Look like AMG replicas, which work well on our cars too...
Man, that car still looks so good.. Nice wheel choice!

Thanks guys. Definitely is a beautiful car, trying my best to keep it as such.
Will continue to post as more is done. Snows coming back, so putting a damper on things

See less See more
Pearl just fits that car beautifully.
Hmm, snow drifts make a v8q avant , if only it were true ;)

See less See more
Drives like a new car again. Completed during the past two weeks: Timing belt service, full tune up, coolant flush, power steering flush, things are starting to look up for the good weather.

P.S: don't reuse the hardware for the water pump etc , rounded out torq heads that are sitting recessed in = nightmare for removal. Will post some pics later on.

Plan to dive into it more tomorrow and tackle some minor things. Get the horn working again, adjust headlights, make some sort of spring for the fuel door, and of course give her the nice inside and out clean she deserves.

Also, currently searching for some BBS LMs, OZ Futuras, or even BBS speedlines. Thinking those should suit the car well.
Of course, I have everything fine and leak free for a few days and now one pops up. Smelled some oil burning, checked under the car and can see it leaking on the manifold as well as oil on the ground. Leads me to believe the rear main needs replacement, fan fkn tastic! Everything else seems to be dry, not sure where else it would be leaking from at back of block. Plan to tackle said leak sooner than later, though I'm sure I could get away without for a bit and just drive the car and enjoy it, but it's going to bother me, so that's doubtful.

Stay tuned

Check both distributors and the seemingly irrelevant "cam inspection plate" that's just below the passenger distributor...all common rear leak spots. Also Audi issued a TSB at some point changing the oil level from 10 to 8 quarts, but never reissued a dipstick, so you should be running at the bottom of dipstick, otherwise will have excessive consumption/leakage, especially out of the potentially rotted out rear breather on drivers head.
Oh, and if it is indeed coming out of rear main....be thankful its not a 450lb autobox....Ha
toml99 said:
Check both distributors and the seemingly irrelevant "cam inspection plate" that's just below the passenger distributor...all common rear leak spots. Also Audi issued a TSB at some point changing the oil level from 10 to 8 quarts, but never reissued a dipstick, so you should be running at the bottom of dipstick, otherwise will have excessive consumption/leakage, especially out of the potentially rotted out rear breather on drivers head.
Tom, thank you.

I had let the level go down and it seems to have solved the issue , or brought it to a very minor issue now. I can't believe it. We'll see how long it lasts, for one thing , the driveway ( or what's left it if) is going to be happy to have no leaks on it.

Aside from that, everything is solid. Going to look into getting the holes in the doors solved. Slowly as it gets warmer I'll revive all the trim outside again as well as the rockers. Locate myself some nice summer tires and perhaps wheels and get her ready for the show season

Well it happened today. Spirited driving on this spring like day of course came to an abrupt hault when I heard a big pssssh followed by that sweet smell and then my feet becoming soaked with coolant. I have been dreading doing the heater core but I have no choice now. I'll need to hit the package store to get me through this one . Wish me luck

@$&&$&!!!

See less See more
Aaaaaarrrrrrggggg. Bummer. I parked the 5-speed quite awhile ago when I noticed some small blue drips on the drivers carpet. Since I also need to do the rack/driveshaft support bearing and entire suspension, was waiting for the time/energy to pull the motor as both the rack and heater box would be easier with the motor out of way. I did drive it to the gas station last week and was praying it wouldn't let loose like yours did....If the padded mat is really bad, I may have a spare grey one....I'll look.....Hey, at least it's not one of the cars that has ECU right in middle of the puddle.....I feel your pain....Tom
Freaking bummer man! The V8 gods demand a fresh sacrifice. You really don't have much that can go wrong now, do ya?
toml99 said:
Also Audi issued a TSB at some point changing the oil level from 10 to 8 quarts, but never reissued a dipstick, so you should be running at the bottom of dipstick, otherwise will have excessive consumption/leakage, especially out of the potentially rotted out rear breather on drivers head.
Wow, really??? I didn't know this. Good to know. So if you want to check the oil "full" should be if you are at the bottom part of the existing dipstick?

Wonder if there is a longer dipstick we can use...that's kind of annoying.
241 - 260 of 291 Posts