Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which cdi should I run for direct fire on a 16v? I've been looking around and Autronic only offers a 4 channel unit that I dont think will do the job. Any other ideas?

Justin

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hey Justin, by CDI, you mean a "capacitive discharge ignition"? If so, its not needed, the ignition is very powerful in the Stage II, it will easily fire 45k volts through the coil, no external CDI or any other hardware needed.

Other than that, the Stage II unit has 8 igniton channels, so for a 16v you could set up 8 coils, one to fire every other comb. event, keep your coils nice and cool :p

Hope that answers your question, if not gimme some more details.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, heck, Jim can even vouch, when he had a short in his RPM reference wire, the unit had no trouble torching a bunch of his Ford coils in short order :D

BTW, Jim, you got any pics of the new install?

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Yea, that sucked, once again, I just HAD to upgrade. :p

I'll try and get some pics tonight, I really like the coil packs vs the coil on plug. For some reason having to move them out of the way just to get to the plugs was really annoying me.

Actually, that reminds me, I've been running a .26 gap to rule out coils as my miss that ended up to be VR sensor gap. Time to make that a little larger now that I have those 5 monsters in there.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Sweet, ya, I was running up to a .35, but it would be interesting to see how big you could go, I found .30 was working just fine.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Sure, its a capacitive discharge, you could use it if you wanted too, but definitely not required, I'd recommend not using it.

We have a test fixture set up with 8 huge MSD coils and some beefy MSD spark plugs, heavy spark plug wire, coil wires, etc. We've run a Stage IIc ECU up to 30k rpm on this test fixture (over 40k rpm with a 4 cylinder config), the spark plugs creating a brilliant arch cleanly firing all the way up. The sound is amazing, and surprisingly loud, you literally have to plug your ears. The ECU continues to operate happily for a few minutes like this, soon the spark plugs begin to heat up and glow, so badly that they begin to meld and fail - they don't last too long like this, but the ECU is hardly breaking a sweat, not even drawing more than 40A during the whole process. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts