Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I know this topic has come up more than once already, but I think my circumstances are a little different from others I've seen here, so I'm gonna give this a try...

Here's my current situation: AAN motor with stock K24, pretty free-flowing exhaust (3" DP and cat, 2.5" after that), running 20 PSI of boost from about 4K to 6K, I'd estimate it's making about 300 CHP (based on lucky-guess method plus airflow numbers). Running on Megasquirt with fuel system and injectors that are capable of more so no problems there.

The problem is I feel like I'm pushing this K24 within an inch of its life this way, and based on looking at compressor maps I am! I get the sense that if I put a turbo on there that was one notch larger, I could get a few more HP and not worry about killing the turbocharger (and toasting exhaust valves with crazy backpressure).

And, like everyone else, I'm on a budget. If I had a spare $1500 lying around I'd toss 034's K26/GT2871 on there and I'm sure things would be perfect... but I don't.

But I do happen to possess a box of T3 turbocharger bits. None of the compressors are large enough (I'm thinking a super 60 would be perfect), but I've got a good water-cooled center section, as well as a housing with a 4-bolt outlet pattern that matches the 20VT downpipe and a standard T3 inlet that looks like maybe it could be machined to mate up to the AAN manifold. So suppose I stuck a super 60 compressor wheel in that turbo and had the compressor housing machined to accept it? Or just get one of those $220 Chinese super 60 knockoffs on ebay and cannibalize it? Could that possibly work? Or, could it work with the addition of a K24 or K26 exhaust housing?

Interestingly, I've also got a T3 exhaust housing off a Peugeot with a flange almost identical to the K24/K26... the bolt pattern is the same and it has a round inlet. Unfortunately its outlet isn't even close to compatible with a 20VT downpipe.

On a side note, in this photo of 034's K26/GT2871, does that look like a real K26 exhaust housing, or a T3 one with a little creative machining on the flange?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked and looked and I can't find one! I even put wanted-to-buy posts on what appear to be the popular Volvo forums and after several months... nada.

·
Registered
875 Posts
elaw said:
I've looked and looked and I can't find one! I even put wanted-to-buy posts on what appear to be the popular Volvo forums and after several months... nada.
what year and model Volvos came with this turbo? there is like a gazzilion Volvos at the local pick and pull. new and old ones.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
ursmkd said:
elaw said:
what year and model Volvos came with this turbo? there is like a gazzilion Volvos at the local pick and pull. new and old ones.
http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread ... olvo+turbo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"turbo is from a 2002+ Volvo S60 R or S70 R"

i couldnt find one so far on the junk yard, but i keep looking, i like what Dave did.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's the problem. Tons of Volvos out there with turbos, but 95% of them aren't the K24.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well here's an interesting one. I've put some feelers out and so far have had no luck finding a Volvo K24 at a reasonable price.

But... I did get a response from a guy who's selling a brand new one! For 800 bucks, but it *is* brand-new.

Now here's where things get weird... look at the part number:

A K24-7401? Is that one better than a K24-7400?

Seriously... does anyone know what a K24-7401 is? It certainly looks right, but that and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee. :wink:

I guess if I buy this I'll have to change the thread title to "expensive K24 upgrade". :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
I believe the difference being from the 7000 to the 7001 would be the angle of the housing itself, other than that, same turbo

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Do you have a K26 #8 laying around? If so, you could get a billet wheel for it from someone. Works real good apparently.
850 ish.

Can't post a link. Competitor of you know who.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No... I had an extra K24 around, and finally managed to get my hands on a Volvo K24-7400. So the K24 exhaust housing got sent out to Hank for machining and hopefully eventually he'll return one of the emails I've sent him asking when it will be done! :(

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Eric, If you want to go this route and be cost efficent, I have a t3 .63 housing already machined and ready to get for a Chinese ebay 50 trim t3/t4. I have been having awesome results with this turbo combo.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
by the way all the issues I was having with reversion and chuffing is gone. the injector issues solved a lot of problems. turbo pulls 25 psi with ease and I know I have taken it to 30 with e85

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
savagerocco said:
Eric, If you want to go this route and be cost efficent, I have a t3 .63 housing already machined and ready to get for a Chinese ebay 50 trim t3/t4. I have been having awesome results with this turbo combo.
Machined, as in it'll fit on a manifold made for a K24? Or would I need another manifold? What about on the outlet side... same as K24 or different?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
savagerocco said:
by the way all the issues I was having with reversion and chuffing is gone. the injector issues solved a lot of problems. turbo pulls 25 psi with ease and I know I have taken it to 30 with e85
Fantastic! No burned pistons either, I assume? :p

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Nope, it is running the best it ever has, at least since ms1 days.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just recently did the Volvo K24 upgrade.

Got one on ebay for $367 to the door off of a 06 s60r with 91k miles. Also has a 90 day warranty.
I also bought a Porshe K26 exhaust housing on this forum ($60 shipped) that bolted right up to the Volvo K24, so no modifications were necessary to my stock turbo.
I also installed an ebay STR cast iron log style manifold at the same time.

Let me just say that the Volvo K24 is not quite a "bolt on" turbo. It might have been the STR manifold (although unlikely, very similar to stock turbo/WG placement), but the compressor housing of the K24 needed some serious modification to get it to fit, and the way I have it setup right now is far from legit, but it will do for now. Ideally the compressor outlet needs cut and re-welded at a different angle. I had to cut most of the outlet off just to get it to clear the motor mount/drain line. The oil feed line also needed some modification to get it to clear the compressor housing. Also had to rig up a reducer for the stock turbo inlet piping, the stock K24 is around 2.25" and the Volvo K24's inlet is around 2.75".
But otherwise everything was bolt on, same oil/coolant feed/drains. Looks quite stealthy, still using the stock airbox and piping.

First impressions though, wow what an awesome cheap turbo upgrade! Much quicker spool!
It must be flowing a lot more also, because I am getting a lot of pinging at WOT with my MRC stage 2 chip.

I guess I'm going to have to order a RIP chip now to do some tuning...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts