Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did another check list attempt yesterday with no success.
So, if you don't mind I would like to bounce it with you guys.

1. New set of spark plugs.
2. Distributor marks aligned.
3. Rotor pointing to cyl #1.
4. Wires follow the firing order.
5. Sprocket mark aligned with valve cover.
6. Flying wheel "O" mark aligned at the middle with the window.
7. Fuel pressure at 50 PSI steady
8. I hear the injectors clicking
9. I have spark
10. I tried leaning by moving the scaler from 14 to 12. No success.
11. I tried enriching by moving the scaler to 18 then 22! No success.

The only sign of life is from time to time between an interval in attemps a combustion or a very short series of combustion occurrs.

Question: I didn't change the cold primming. Would the scaler influence the cold primer? Should I change the cold primer to higher level? Cold primer is based in coolant or air temperature?

My coolant temperature is very high, but I attribute it on the absence of water since thermostat have not opened not even once since the last coolant fill up. I checked the wiring for the coolant temperature and they are fine.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Carlos

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
OK, everything being the same, does it still fire with the stock ign system hooked up? My guess is that you're running really rich, you might try starting it, then unplugging the injectors and starting it again, if it comes to life briefly, you'll know you're way to rich.

The cold start value is based on coolant temp. What kind of timing values are you getting when cranking?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the cold start id based on the coolant temperature, it might be the case of the ECU thinking that the engine is so hot that I better reduce the fuel.

I could switch the temperature for a high value and see if it primes to a start.

I removed a plug after several attempts and it was a little darker, but it wasn't smelling fuel as I would expect.

I switched all the timing to 0 retard to see if it fires. I'll check the timing while cranking it.

Thanks for the help,

Carlos

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Carlos, WRT to values, what size injectors are you running? Start with a WOT value of 12 and an idle value of 0, that ought to at least get the car started if its fuel related. Also, you could unplug the injectors (or deselect them in the software) and try a shot of starting fluid, if it fires briefly you know its fuel related.

BTW, you're free to call me next time you're tweeking, it would be a lot easier to work on some of this stuff over the phone then over the forum on a week by week basis.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i can vouch for the "tech line" it's worth the time :wink:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry posting here instead of calling, but I really feel awkward calling somebody at the West coast Sundays 9 am (ETD).

That was the only time I had to work with it this weekend. :(

I'm running 28.6# injectors. I do have another set of 30#'s that I can swap in to test.

I sprayed carb cleaner in the IM, but my can was at the end. I'll stop by and by another one on my way home.

I'll also try the changes you suggested.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Carlos, no need to apologize for posting/not calling, I'd just love to see that car running, so I'd like to do what is most effective to make that happen! :wink:

Keep us posted, you'll get there.

Thanks,
Javad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts