Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got most of the disassembly completed. I still need to pull the block and old electricals. Still a long way left to go, but I'm hoping to get it fired up late this summer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Things to fab/buy/acquire:
air filter
TPS
valves (if needed)
water hoses
intake plumbing
exhaust past the DP

Things already fabed/bought/acquired:
snub mount
Radiator
oil filter (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
t-belt (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
acc belts (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
water pump (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
thermostat (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
spark plugs (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
brake fluid (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
coolant (Adirondack Auto Brokers Inc.)
header (034EFI)
turbo T3/T04 (034EFI)
injectors 65# (034EFI)
ECU (034EFI)
downpipe (034EFI)
coils (034EFI)
ARP head studs (034EFI)
metal head gasket (034EFI)
air temp sensor (034EFI)
intercooler (ebay)
Boost, EGT, and WB O2 (Zeitronix)
valve cover gasket (ReplacementAutoParts)
exhaust gasket (ReplacementAutoParts)
intake gaske (ReplacementAutoParts)
water temp sensor (ReplacementAutoParts)
motor mounts (ReplacementAutoParts)
cam seals (ReplacementAutoParts)
fuel filter (ReplacementAutoParts)
tensioner pulley (ReplacementAutoParts)
turbo oil lines (034)
BOV (TiAl)
wastegate (MC)

Installed/used:
oil pan gasket (x2) (ReplacementAutoParts)
lifters
valve stem seals
crank seals (ReplacementAutoParts)
clutch (SPEC3+, 034)
pistons (JE, Javad)
rings (JE, Javad)
rods (034EFI)
rod bearings (ReplacementAutoParts)
piston ring compressor (JCsOnlineToolshed.com)
piston ring pliers (JCsOnlineToolshed.com)
piston ring grinder/filer (Jegs.com)
cylinder hone/flexhone (JCsOnlineToolshed.com)
good caliper (JCsOnlineToolshed.com)
bore gauge (JCsOnlineToolshed.com)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Get yourself some head studs, they'll pay for themselves if you even have to take the head off once.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've got most of the parts sourced. Now it's just time to start putting some of them in. I'm taking a trip back to Minneapolis next week, so I'll see how far I get. I'm hoping to get the block pulled, torn down, honed, and put back together with appropriate new go-fast parts. If I need to source a clutch, I'll have to delay putting the block back in the car until next trip.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got the engine pulled. Just in time to head back to AZ... Hopefully I'll have time to come back and finish building the engine up this summer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. Still in AZ for school. I'm moving my car down to AZ next month, so progress will resume then. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome to AZ. There are some folks out here with the same interests. It'd be nice to get some more folks out here. 8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update on the engine progress. Got the crank and pistons back in the block. Only a year and a half later than expected. :roll: Progress on the engine is currently stopped pending a stack of gaskets from the stealership. Any more gaskets on this engine and I wouldn't have any metal...

Since I'm taking a small break on the engine, I guess its time to start thinking about the electrical. Anyone know how dependant the dash, etc, are on the engine ECU?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just when things are going well, I start stretching my oilpan bolts... Turns out my torque wrench doesn't read very accurately down around 10 N-m. Sure it's a great excuse to buy a new tool, but still a pain in the neck as I'm stalled waiting for more bolts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered my torque wrench on September 19th from All Tire Supply. On October 2nd, I finally call to ask about my order. I was told that there was some issue and that someone would call right back. On the 5th, I call back only to find that the person I need to speak to is in a meeting. They again promise that they'll call right back. No dice. It's frustrating when a supplier won't call when there is a problem and won't return calls when they promise.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sounds like you need to cancel your order and take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
535 Posts
so where is the project going down at right now? AZ or MN. cuz i live in richfield and if its in minneapolis i wouldn't mind checking it out if you didnt. i wanna do some sort of turbo to my coupe some day too...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone point me towards a quick list of what order I need to remove things to get the dash out of my CQ? I've been puzzling over it for a few days now.

It's funny. The electrical aspects of this project are taking about 5x longer than the mechanical. Which is odd because I'm essentally an electrical engineer by trade. Ah well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nevermind. I apparently can't use Google properly on the first couple tries. LOL. Just found Huw's page on sedan interior removal. Looks the same. Back to work.... :frustrated:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clutch and PP attached, head about half assembled. Dash about half disassembled. Next weekend, finish the dash and head, and then start pulling the old wiring.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Hey Chris, so you're back in the Twin CIties with the car now? Let me know if you need a hand sometime.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts