Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You know, I'd really love that, but the car is currently in AZ. I'll shoot you a PM with some questions though.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
its so fun working on cars here in the summer 8) ........don't know if youv'e done a build here in the summer, but woooooo...
last summer we had 3 fans blowing in the garage the whole time while we built my buddies subie (93 impreza wagon w/ full version 8 jdm sti swap....everything but the shell........) pretty sweet car...

where in az are ya?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
s2 on the way said:
where in az are ya?
Fountain Hills, out east of Scottsdale. :) Retirementville, but the rental price was right. You mind lending a hand when it comes time to fanagle the block back in sometime in a month or so? I can never seem to get my wife excited about "that pile of car parts that is taking up all the space in the garage"...seems to be a common problem on this forum. :frustrated:

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
s2 on the way said:
my buddies subie (93 impreza wagon w/ full version 8 jdm sti swap....everything but the shell........) pretty sweet car...
That sounds like an interesting project any pics and details?

i have failed to note this turbo coupe project! Where in Az are you? Pics of your progress?

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
:bashtard: -me! How do you like that area? i am thinking about moving to Arizona.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
PRA4WX said:
:bashtard: -me! How do you like that area? i am thinking about moving to Arizona.
Yah, the area is really nice, but for several months out of the year it's full of snowbirds. Other than getting trapped behind wads of people driving 20 in a 35, it's great. Nice and quiet, nice park w/ huge fountain, etc etc. Fairly reasonable housing prices (well, by Phoneix standards), too.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
i'd be happy to help.....I got a lift if you need......
I could surely use a hand myself here once I get all my goodies.....

az is nice, but come summer time, you gotta turn into a lizard....
hide in the shade all day and do anything active at night.....and if you got no ac......wooooooooo...a bit intense...........
a pretty chill place though....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yah, my dad's place across town has a drive-on lift. No help for suspension, but great for everything else.

I'm happy to lend a hand. What stuff are you putting together? I've got a descent collection of audi special tools. V6-30v t-belt tools, I-5 tools, VAG-COM, etc, etc. The way I see it, buying special tools is a reasonable cost to save headaches.

I've got AC, but it sure costs a ton to run.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
oh, I meant to say I have an engine hoist, not a lift.....my bad....
all I have is a IIc for an aan on its way....i'm plumbing up everything else right now..
not so good at wiring...it might be all good, not too sure until I get going on it..I got the plug in harness so it should be a bit easier...don't know until I do it though......I never supplied power and that sort of stuff....
just a bit of jitters until I actually get my fingers dirty..............

I might have to borrow your audi tools since I have a 6 speed tranny with a bad bearing to swap out from another doner.....never done anything like that before....don't know if you have any experience....

I'm hopinng to run ac too in my coupe...but right now I'm just trying to get it running, then I will worry about the amenities...i've got a shop that could extend and fab up the ac lines.....so we'll see....

lemme know when you want to drop in your motor, i'd be glad to lend a hand....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sounds good. I'll let you know when I finally get things to the point that putting the engine in makes sense.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok. More progress. I'm 90% sure I've gotten all of the old wires out. I've gotten the 034EFI wires in. And the Zeitronix underhood wires. No terminations or bundling yet, but I've gotten them pulled through the firewall. I'm breaking a bunch of rules that will likely bite me later, but I'll give it a go for now. I'm making a list so I know what to check when it doesn't work later. :bashtard:

Rules broken:
- Ran sensor and power drive lines through the same place in the FW, bundled for about 15 inches.
- Powered the 034ECU off the terminal 15 supply for the original ECU.
- Grounded the ECU to both the four brown/red grounds from the original ECU that go to the back of the intake manifold and to the chassis ground in the driver's side footwell (the big wad of grounds on the two pegs)

We'll see how it goes.

Before the block can go in:
- Change radiator
- Change clutch master and slave (and then try to avoid pressing the pedal!)

Wahoo! I might actually finish this project before I move back to MN on June 12th. Ok, I'm just kidding. It won't be done. I just want to be able to drive it onto the trailer under its own power.
:frustrated: Hopefully that isn't too much to ask.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok. I got the union freeze plug in the block today. Not too painful. Ended up just drilling a 1/2" hole in the middle and bending it out using various sizes of open end wrench. Put the new one in using a deep impact socket as a driver. Seemed to work well enough.

I'm a bit grumpy that I need to pull the oil pan again in order to drill the turbo oil return out. How critical is the centering on the hole? Will I be ok if I just find the center, center punch it, and then incrementally drill it up with a hand drill? Seems with the flange-style fitting that getting the hole perfectly straight isn't really that important.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Finally got the old slave out. What a PITA. Took me 6 hours. :frustrated: I'm calling it quits for today so I don't goober the new one... So much for getting the block in today.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
ckthorp said:
Finally got the old slave out. What a PITA. Took me 6 hours. :frustrated: I'm calling it quits for today so I don't goober the new one... So much for getting the block in today.
i wonder if anybody knows a "good" way of pulling it? I haven't had to do it on my CQ but i've looked at it and feared the job! :eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
With the engine out, you can do it around the front axle and trans mount. I was finally able to get it with a Craftsman 13mm deep socket and standard Craftsman 3/8" rachet. That ProConTen bracket is right in the way...

If the engine is in, I've read that it's easiest if you remove the trans mount "arm" and the axle. Then you have a fairly clear shot at it.

I'm still grumpy that I pushed the clutch with the engine out by accident.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok. Got the new slave in and the master swapped. I think I'm going to wait to bleed the clutch until I've put the block back in. That way it'll be harder to blow up the new one...

I drilled my 7A oil pan extension for the turbo oil drain (a la, S2). It looked much easier than drilling out the block. Stripped another extension pan hole putting it back together this time. At least I had a a helicoil kit from the last one I stripped. :bashtard: (I over stressed them the very first time I put it on, trying to use an 80 N-M max clicker wrench to do 20 N-M. Now they've been feeling a bit mushy. I suspect I'll have to eventually helicoil every single one...) Now I've got a nice 30N-M dial wrench for low torques. Works much better.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts