Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, i will be shortly taking apart my front suspension and rebuilding it. My URS6 being from Colorado it does have quite some suspension rust.. I don't like that and as i am going to be at it, would like to clean up what i can. The two parts that i can think of right now is the strut housing and the brake calipers. Whats the best way to clean of the rust? What should i use for paint and make sure the rust does not come back? The key thing to me is not so that everything just looks nice, but that the rust does not come back. I hate rust. Also i will be doing this stuff at home, might get access to some tools in a body shop.

· Registered
53 Posts
Sandblasting and powder coating worked really well for my stuff. We have a local shop that you can rent blasting tanks by the hours for a pretty good price. A friend used evaporust on his bmw parts and said it also worked well but takes some scrubbing after you let it soak for a while. You can just put it down the drain after you're done with it too, so that's a plus.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
For rust removal I use the old washing soda and battery charger method. This works well for brake parts. I can do all the brake parts at once.

I never sand blast per se. I use glass bead blast. Take off the rust while leaving the base metal alone.

If you don't have the funds for powder coating or no place local, I would use an etching primer. I use this one.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-self-etch-primer-gray.html

For the final coat I use Benjamin Moore Super Spec D.T.M. Alkyd Low Lustre. It is a paint for metal. Or you could use a good brake caliper paint.

Greg W.

· Registered
108 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for the advice!
I have one question though. After doing a rust removal procedure, most of them require to rinse the metal piece with water... Doesn't that just start rust all over again???

· Registered
429 Posts
in theory oxidation occurs from the moisture in the air as well.

oxidation is also a protective layer on metal, its unsightly but it does protect.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
Quattro20v said:
Thank you guys for the advice!
I have one question though. After doing a rust removal procedure, most of them require to rinse the metal piece with water... Doesn't that just start rust all over again???
That is what old hair dryers are for. Blow off excess water with air hose and dry with hair dryer.

Greg W./

· Registered
919 Posts
Powder coaters are great but expensive.
About $1k to wash, sand blast/media, and
then powder coat every single metal suspension
piece from my urs6 including subframes.

I think another routes is you can buy a cheap
sand blaster from harbor freight for sub $100.
Take all of your metal parts to your back yard
and blast them. Make sure to wear a good mask
or you can get a sickness that I forgot it's name.
After blasting everything spray with a good metal
anti corrosion spray paint.

Also to note stuff from harbor freight will not last
forever. I wouldn't be surprised if you only got a
couple uses out of it before it's caput.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello everybody, i will be shortly taking apart my front suspension and rebuilding it. My URS6 being from Colorado it does have quite some suspension rust.. I don't like that and as i am going to be at it, would like to clean up what i can. The two parts that i can think of right now is the strut housing and the brake calipers. Whats the best way to clean of the rust? What should i use for paint and make sure the rust does not come back? The key thing to me is not so that everything just looks nice, but that the rust does not come back. I hate rust. Also i will be doing this stuff at home, might get access to some tools in a body shop.
First, you can process it with a steam cleaner, and then everything is according to the standard procedure. By the way, I clean the steam and interior according to the instructions from Steam extractor vs. Steam cleaner | Which is better? where it is told about the steam cleaner with extraction of their selection and application. Steam is generally suitable for cleaning the entire car, but for cleaning parts, a steam cleaner with 20 bar is better. pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts