Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Hank, and Ive been wandering the forum for some time.\
I drive an 87 5000 TQ. MC1

Im in the process of making a SS header, and on my way to the 034 soon. My dilima is that my clutch just went out. I always had planned on upgrading to a better clutch, i just thought that was down the road a bit further. I havn't done any research, I just need a good dirrection to go. Im shooting for around 280 whp, and considering my last one only lasted 35k with around 180 whp( whatever the 1.8 bar IA chip is rated at), I'd like to go pretty strong.

What are the options for the MC1?
Whats everyone using, and how do you like it. and how much $$$!

Thanks guys...

Hank

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey hank, welcome to our forum, I'm derek.
clutches....well, as far as oem stuff goes, javad our main man had been using a stock 20v non turbo clutch and his held up to nearly 300 whp. I'm using a sachs sport turbo clutch that i got from blaufergnugen on sale for $325. they might still have them at that price. as far as racing clutches go I'm sure javad has the scoop on those.
well, hope i could help and Happy new years to everyone!! :)

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hey Hank, yes, Derek is right, any of the Audi 240mm clutches should be good for about 400 HP, but it really depends on what kind of driving you do and how abusive you are to the clutch.

You need to determine whether your clutch is just worn or if it has indeed been overpowerd. Honestly, I'd be surprised if you had truly overpowered it, but, if your in there, why not upgrade it while you're at it? I really like the SPEC clutches, that's what I'll be using with the new 20v motor, the Stage 3 kit. Franlkly, their PP looks like a repainted factory unit, but the disk is highly different, if anything pick up a disk from them and use the factory PP.

I'd also recommend seriously looking into having your flywheel lightened as well, I've done this to a few cars recently and the result is dramatic, man, you could just sit there all day blipping the throttle with the lightening fast response. Easiest way would probably have someone machine a couple lbs off the outside of the flywheel.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it matter at all what 240 clutch is used, whether it is for a 3b or a 7a motor? What other models use the 240mm clutch? Javad, do you have a number or web site for that SPEC clutch. that sounds neat to me. How heavy are the Flywheels to begin with? Shaving is my expertise :)
I'll see what i can't do.

Thanks

Hank

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Well, you're kinda limited to what fits, if its an 016 application then its the 5kq clutch that's about as tough as it gets, for the 01A, I'm using the 7A, and the 3B is basically identical from what I know about it, honestly I don't think there is too much different. The AAN clutch is very different but you wouldn't be able to use it w/o the dual-mass flywheel which is a real tank.

The stock is 23lbs about, the alum one I'm using is 11lbs, but if you could get 3lbs off the outside of the flywheel there would be a noticeable improvement, as you know, its the weight on the outside that causes an exponential drag on the rotating mass.

SPEC clutches are very nice, and not too much more expensive than stock, see: http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts