Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been slaving away at converting the conversion to a conversion that doesn't look so converted :frustrated: :wtf:

Anyways, more pics here.
http://www.mswanson.com/~jgreen/DIS/
http://www.mswanson.com/~jgreen/stage4/

We'll see how bored I am at work tomorrow, maybe I can get them in web format.

So what's next? Getting the crankcase under a vaccum, and all the fumes out of the intake, and where they belong with one of these kits.

http://store.summitracing.com/productdetail.asp?p=1022

I guess I'll be tearing out that nice new breather system I just made :bashtard:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Sweet Jim, lookin' good buddy. Really cleaning up nicely :)

Nice mounting of the coil packs too, its always cool to see what other people come up with for solutions to stuff like this, I never even thought of doing that.

One thing I was wondering, how is that hood shock holding up to the turbo?

Lemme know when you get that crank case kit, I'll split it with you if you want, been wanting to do that myself.

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet Jim, lookin' good buddy. Really cleaning up nicely
Thanks, the car is so much cleaner, and I finally have room to spare behind the motor.

Nice mounting of the coil packs too, its always cool to see what other people come up with for solutions to stuff like this, I never even thought of doing that.
Thanks, I spent quite some time looking at your bracket, and I had to figure out how to do it without a welder. It works quite well, one of my coils was bad from the start, and it took less time to change it on my car than it did pulling off the donor in the yard.

One thing I was wondering, how is that hood shock holding up to the turbo?
I haven't had a problem with the hood shock yet, and god knows I use the hell out of it. I was just going to get the seperate parts from the Moroso kit, but if you want to split it, I'll do that. Either way the price works out about the same, I personally don't want the breathers. The MR gasket kit is half the price, but it doesn't look as good since it's missing the little holes in the tubes that must do something special.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hmm, on the evacuation kit, the Mr. Gasket kit looks good for $31, heck, I'd even consider putting the kit together from Kragen parts, get some threaded tubing from the hardware store, I wonder what the notch is supposed to be for?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, so that's what I figured, you bury that slot into the exh. pipe and the flow comes through it, but generally speaking, just mounting the pipe at a 45 degree angle like that will create a venturi a plenty, I'll just plan on getting the stuff locally, shouldn't be a problem. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
WOW!! Crankcase breather issues be gone... Awesome I never knew about
that trick. I'm so sick of smelling blow-by that I'm going to buy one.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, definitely the worst thing about venting it to atmosphere, it stinks so bad, plus the negative crankcase pressure is good for ring sealing, etc.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Jim,

Your car is looking very very sweet under the hood! I'm very impressed at the work you've done.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Please give me more info on the Mr Gasket kit.

This is the second time I've heard of it and I'm still not sure exactly what it is/does.

Steve

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
You basically are routing your crankcase fumes into the exhaust, by mounting a pipe at a 45 degree angle to exh. flow, it creates a low pressure area in the tube, and thus the crank case, and sends the fumes out the tailpipe and not into the engine compartment or airfilter.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Nice.

I assume you just weld something up at the downpipe and attach the breather hose to it?

Sounds simple enough.

Is this a internet item or readily avaliable at auto stores, etc?

Also, any possibility of exhaust gases creeping back up into the crankcase at idle?

Steve

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, check out what comes in the kits from Summitt, you should be able to get the parts seperately from your local FLAPS as they are Amurican replacement parts from the smog era.

No exh fumes at idle that I've heard of, it so I can't imagine the concept would be a viable solution to crank case ventilation if it forced exh. into the crank case at idle.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Steve

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Jim,

Really late to the party on your coil setup...

Got a couple of questions:

From the pic's it looks like you used 5 coils from a MC/MC2 engine?

How are these controlled? I couldn't tell from the pic's.

Do you have the stage IIC ECU?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damnit Steve, :slap: It's plastered all over my siggy :wink: yes they're 5 MC coils.

Yea, the IIc is awesome, it's triggered by a stock 5ktq VR sensor that reads a 60-2 electromitive trigger wheel that I bolted onto the front crank.

http://www.mswanson.com/~jgreen/DIS/

At the silly power levels I'm running on these 10v motors that are very picky about timing, it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Doh, I was so mezmerized by your engine bay pics that I didn't even notice your sig. :D

Thanks for the info on the coils.

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts