Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about how I tried to make A4 style coils work but they didn't seem to be quite long enough. Well that was before they met mr. hack saw :) :

I've discovered that by removing some of the plastic near the connector, it will fit JUST barely (the one shown above has more material removed than is necessary, I just wanted to be absolutely sure where it bottomed out):

There are a few other considerations however.. first of all I know Audi has had quality control issues on these things (which is probably why I was able to pick them up for so cheap..) but second to that I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about the performance capabilities of these things. Are the highly modded A4 1.8ts out there still running the stock coils? Also, there are 4 pins to these suckers.. how do I go about figuring out which wires to use? I envision life altering sparks in my near future should I need to do testing... :)

The physical size of these things makes me wonder how much juice they can deliver. Here is a pic that shows a comparison between the A4 coil versus a 98 BMW M3 coil:

One other thing.. the surface on the top of the coil almost looks like it was designed to transfer heat (sort of like the top surface of most CPUs). Does anybody know if on the A4 series of cars there is some kind of aluminum plate pressed against the top or anything of that sort?

Discuss :D

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I have not heard of people using alternate coil packs on the 1.8t. Roommates car, at 1.2bar boost ran just fine as long as it had 93 in the tank...Do not remember them having a heat sink on them.

The pin outs should be in an A4 bentley. Unfortunately my roommate is a bit lazy now that his A4tq is dead (hit by a Z71 4x4) he hasn't bothered to reinstall his Bentley. Anyone else have access to the A4 bentley?

I think the newer coil packs have solved the quality control issue from the supplier.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hey Marc, main issue is that those coils likely have their own coil driver or IGBT built in, that would mean bypassing the 034 IGBT which I wouldn't really recommend. The best thing to do would be to find the earlier style 3-wire coils that don't have the built in coil driver.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Javad, Any idea what years/models do not have the built in driver?

The issues with coils concerned the 4-pin style with built in coil driver, correct? I don't think I heard about failures from older A4 models.

Thanks Guys, this forum rocks! :woowoo:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Marc, I'm not positive, but I beleve the pre-2001 cars do not (maybe pre 170hp), anything from a 98 or 99 should be correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts