Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
I had all of my pieces balanced separately, then checked all together. If I ever have to replace the clutch, I just have to bring the flywheel with it to mount to.

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
I believe the Audi I5 is internally balanced. When I had all my components zero balanced, they didn't have to remove the crank locking tab on the pulley, and that was after I had the section for the AC and PS belts removed. Also, if the stock flywheel was also a balance agent, putting a zero balanced aluminum flywheel on would cause all kinds of vibration issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
All I know is that I had mine zero balanced without any significant material removed.

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
quattro87 said:
RSCoupe said:
All I know is that I had mine zero balanced without any significant material removed.
Mark, what are you talking about...the balancer right? No significant material sounds like zero balancing to me. I assume that you are running a lightweight zero balanced flywheel.
Pulley, crank, alum. flywheel, and pressure plate.

Lord_Verminaard said:
...I just swapped the flywheel on my 20v for a spare used flywheel that I had turned. Didn't balance anything. Put on a new Southbend Clutch too. Didn't balance that either. Hey guess what? The engine doesn't vibrate. How amazing is that. If it actually were an external balance engine, I'd be screwed because I didn't balance the clutch/flywheel to the crank...
What are you revving to?

I'm a little surprised the clutch didn't need some balancing, or are you saying you didn't even have it checked?

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
They ground a little off at the very edge at one spot. Not sure if I have a pic, but I'll look.

*edit - Nope, no pics.

·
Super Moderator
5,560 Posts
ShavedQuattro said:
I have done both. I have had audi flywheels balanced and fidanza flywheels for that matter.. They always can balance more then audi balanced them. Having all of your internals balanced combined with your flywheel/pressure plate is awesome.. Afterwards, regular oem motors feel like 5hp Briggs motors.
:stupid:

I'm not saying just throwing them in without balancing is bad, not at all, I've done it many times on street cars. But as Hank said, it does make a difference, especially on a motor with solid mounts and that is revving to 8000+.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts