Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed those little bushings pressed into the back of the crankshaft on cars with automatic trannies before.. last time it was no big deal.

This time around, it put up a fight. It laughed at my feeble attempts with vice grips, scoffed at my chisel, and _BROKE_ my 13 pound slide hammer.

I threaded the inside of the bushing for the same threads as the audi crank bolt and hooked up one of the slide hammer adapters to the tool.

Before:

After :curses: :

I finally claimed victory after basically grinding the inside of the thing down to almost nothing so that the thing would crush a little bit.. at which point I was able to slowly turn it out.

lousy piece of :curses: :frustrated: !#$!$#!$

·
Registered
398 Posts
Same here, including a broken slide hammer.

It was a nightmare.

I thing the heat kind of weld it to the crank.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
:(

Man I'll have to give thanks to the audi gods tonight. The auto bushing that was in my MC motor came right out using the 'grease trick' in like 2 min.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
mine came out pretty easy as well, just slipped the ol' snap on slide hammer with the hook in it and WHAM!! out she popped.
i think your slide hammer broke cause it's a pipe :p , you should find a steel rod and thread the ends.and that little adapter piece looks like it would put quite a strain on the slide shaft with that big honkin' slide on there 8)

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
derracuda said:
mine came out pretty easy as well, just slipped the ol' snap on slide hammer with the hook in it and WHAM!! out she popped.
i think your slide hammer broke cause it's a pipe :p , you should find a steel rod and thread the ends.and that little adapter piece looks like it would put quite a strain on the slide shaft with that big honkin' slide on there 8)
Yep, I know. a nice solid piece of smooth rod with the end threaded would be ideal. I might order such a piece from McMaster. I don't think Home Cheapot carries smooth rod that big.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
don't you guys have like metal places? or recyle yards with about a billion pieces of scrap metal to choose from? i get most of my stuff from there,cause steel's 20 cents a pound, aluminum's $1.50 as well as stainless.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ahh yes, that threaded galvanized tubing isn't so strong, I've had them break at the threads like that before when building different tools. Now I thread them in and zap them on with a MIG, I think that would have worked for you.

At least she's out, frig :p

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dereck, that's a good point on checkin' the scrap yards. Save the $10 in shipping metal from McMaster ;)

All I really need is a nice strong piece of steel.. could be a bar, could be round, doesn't really matter. Then I can just weld a bolt to the end for the adapter threads. When I repaired the broken part of the hammer by welding it, it just broke again further up the threads :(

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ohhh Marc,

The scrap yards are the WAY! We have one locally with all kinds of odd shaped things. IBM recylces alot of odd tooling and alum. so its like a fabricators buffet. You'll love it! Bring a truck and stock up...

Aaron

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My new improved slide hammer. I _challenge_ the next crank bushing to hold out against this thing :p

I used solid 3/4" smooth rod and welded the 1" threaded section needed for the adapters onto the end.

I had a heck of a time figuring out where to buy a bolt that I could use for the threads on the end of the hammer shaft... Lowes had 1" bolts, but coarse thread only..

So while scratching my head in the garage I looked at my roommates trailer ball... Huh.. those threads look odly familiar. Sho nuf, 1" fine thread!

No, I didn't remove his hitch while he wasn't looking... Picked up the cheapest one I could find from a local store, chop sawed the ball off and wellded the threaded section on. Works like a champ! For the striker plate on the bottom I just used the entire 'handle' portion of the original hollow shaft and slid it over the 3/4" rod, welding it in place.

Now that I've got the trailer ball end I'm thinking how cool of a control knob the thing would make. Certainly not for my car.. but next time I need to make a lever for something I know what I'll put on top ;)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
nice work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts