Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have experience with them? i want to upgrade, but see what others think of them.any quirks or such? i know I wouldn't want a car with those :lol:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi,

We bought a big junk of Delrin,and made our own. They seem to work just fine. No problems here. If you know anyone with a Lathe just confince them to make you some. I bought 2"x8' Delrin stock for $60. You can make alot of bushings for $60.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok,cool,do you guys have any extras ? if not, i can have them made, no biggie

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

I've got 4' of 2 " delrin stock in my trunk. All I need is a spare control arm so I can get the measurements. I can make you some if you want.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i almost forgot, my dad has a wood lathe, and that would o the job i think ? I'm gonna experiment with it. I would like to know where to get a peice of delrin though. if I can't seem to get it made myself the I'll take you up on your offer. one last thing ,do you make it two peices or just one?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi,

2 peices. We use brass rod for the center bearings. They work pretty good.
Oh another trick for you mr cuda. Get yourself a set of 90 coupe Q lowering springs from H+R. You keep the same ride height,but its much tighter.
A freind installed them the otherday on his 4kqt. Its a bit more harsh of a ride ,but well worth it.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey aaron, do the CQ springs make the car sit higher? i was thinking about upgrading to the CQ springs instead of going full coilovers, but the thought occurred to me that the CQ is probably a bit heavier than my 4kq (about 3000lbs. with me in it) i guess a little more clearance in the rear might be nice, but i would need to modify the front spring perch to close the gap in the wheel well.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
CQ stock springs are soft, in the neighborhood of k=125lb-in. Doubt they will really raise your ride height a whole bunch, half an inch at most?

The early CQ's have a curb weight of under 3200lbs. Mine went on a minor diet, and with me in it is under 3300lbs. I did a guestimate of its curb, and it was like 3100lbs even, so it lost around 70lbs (brakes, suspension, front body work).

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

Yes the 90 coupe springs raise the car about 3/4"-1". The 80/90 springs raise it around an 1 1/2"-2". Check out the pics. I had really tall rally tires on it so
just to give you an idea of the lift. I have a set of ABT coupe lowering springs that will give you a small drop,and will be stiffer. I had them on my car,but they dont work well for the area. I like jumping a bridge near my house so I need a bit of travel.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
another pic. If your interested in the springs e-mail me [email protected]
This picture is in a hard corner going about 45 and you can see the lean,but no rubbing at all. The springs are perfect for the ice.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey aaron, do you have a rear swaybar? nice pics though, all that ice looks cool exiting the rear of your car.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Cuda,No Sway bars on the car. I personally don't care for them so I dont
use them.....

I'll let you know on the springs....

Aaron

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
HUH? Delrin on rally.....RALLY car for 3 yrs,and nothing broke due to the bushings. Have you used the Delrin stuff before? Or do you sell Poly? :D

Aaron

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, I have to agree, I've been using Delrin on street and race cars for years. Now on the big sedan cars with the sway bar as one of the control arm links, its definitely a no-no to use Delrin here, the swaybar will break.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i've heard of the type 44 delrin swaybar problem before. what exactly are you talking about ben? enlighten us (or at least me) to the ways of the Fu which you speak of :wink:

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Some of the Delrin bushings have caused failures in the stamped CA's. Its a design flaw of certain "brands". Basically, people (tuners) were just sticking stuff in a lathe and turning it w/out consulting a material data sheet and bearing/bushing design book. The bushings caused binding (which was not noticable) and eventually cracked the spot welds. And seam welding, unless you do it in a jig and then line bore it and normalize the part, is not recommended.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I've seen stock CA's fail even with stock bushings in all sorts of ways, but...

In 6 years I've probably put 20 sets of 2Bennett Delrin bushings personally in Audis of all sorts (4kq, 80/90/Coupe, full race, street) and had them in my own car for about 4, which in that time has seen 50k street miles and 30-40 track days. Never seen anything remotely resembling a failure or binding, this is a relatively soft plastic we're talking about, not metal, I've never heard of anyone line boring a metal control arm so that a rotating steel sleeve wouldn't bind in a plastic bushing.

This is only referencing the small Chassis Audi cars listed above.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yea what Javad says. Delrin is good! I personally would rather use stock rubber bushes than Poly again.

my.02

Aaron

1 - 20 of 28 Posts